Trial of Iron Moon Godlike Monk, questions, thoughts.

So, about a month ago I quit playing Black Desert Online for... reasons.  In the suddenly large amount of time I had to play whatever games I felt like, I decided to replay Pillars of Eternity with it's expansions which I had not yet experienced.

I've played through the game twice since then, both with a Monk MC, first time on hard, then PotD.  I've been trying to get into another playthrough, tried a Cipher build and a Druid, both good but I lost interest around level 6-8.

After a post of mine in another players Trial of Iron thread, I started tossing around the idea of doing my own Trial of Iron run, on hard difficulty.  Decided to go back to the Monk because that's my favorite class.  This time I think I'll mix it up a little though.  Usually I play female human or elf, for aesthetic reasons mostly, rather than racial.  This time I'm thinking about going with Moon Godlike since it's racial will be a lot better for Trial of Iron, and I've never made a moon godlike MC.  The human racial is good for a monk, but a bit hit or miss and purely offensive.

To start with, I'm looking to improve my stat allocation to something that fits my chosen race better.  On my PotD run I went with...

16 might - 13 con - 12 dex - 16 perception - 10 intelligence - 11 resolve(was supposed to be 10 but I messed it up and forgot to change it back)

High perception due to playing on PotD, I generally like perception as an offensive stat on any difficulty though, makes things reliable, like force of anguish.  I won't go lower than a 20 total in intelligence/resolve, I would go below 10 resolve but I hate getting stunlocked from interrupts and so I can't really imagine using 3 resolve.  In other words, no min/maxing.  The run was great overall, 2 knockouts on my monk.

So, I'm wondering about the healing boost from might.  Basically I want to know what all it effects.  Does it effect the Moon Godlike racial?  Does it effect Veteran's Recovery?  Does it effect major regeneration potions used from quickslot?  Does it effect the healing proc from shod in faith?  I'm asking because I don't really feel that high constitution is necessary for survival on a monk.  Imo the key to survival is healing+DR, the healing I get from all of the above, DR I get from Iron wheel.  With all those healing effects, high constitution would only really help survive alpha strikes, but those are negated by the moon godlike racial. 

If might boosts all those healing effects, I'm thinking it might be nearly as valuable for survival as constitution, especially for a moon godlike.  Especially once you factor in +healing.  With 14 survival and Maneha's armor I'd have 75% healing received, so every point in might will be even better.

So I'm thinking about going with...

19 might - 12 con - 12 dex - 15 percep - 10 int - 10 resolve

thoughts?

Anyways, early game talent order.  Was thinking I'd put a priority on Veteran's Recovery, maybe something like...

Level 2: Veteran's Recovery

Level 4: Peasant weapon focus
Level 6: Vulnerable attack

Level 8: Two weapon style

never have been to sure if i should take vulnerable attack or two weapon style first, guess it probably shouldn't matter to much, but vulnerable attack seems better early on when your base damage is still low.  

Usually I rush Caed Nua at level 3, especially with how stronghold events work.  I've been thinking I might as well do this on Trial of Iron too since it doesn't take long to get there so if I wipe in the throne room I can just start over, but I was wondering how people usually approach the early game on Trial of Iron.  I suppose the answer partially depends on what difficulty they're playing on.  It's worth noting that I save scummed stronghold events on my last full playthrough so that I could get some of the items I wanted, which I won't be able to do now, so it seems even more important to rush the stronghold early.

Anyhow, the most important part of my post, aesthetics.  Usually I play female human or elf, I like to play female characters in games.  I won't really be losing a head slot by switching to Moon Godlike since I didn't really use it anyways.  I like to make my characters look good, rather than using some godawful looking conglomeration of items.  Maneha's armor plus the cloak of comfort actually look very good together, and there was a monocle you can get in copperlane that went well in the headslot, but I have a problem...  

The Moon Godlike portraits look awful.  I was wondering if anyone might be willing to direct me to some alternatives?  I am going to dig through what I have in the portrait packs I've downloaded, but I don't recall there being anything really good, and I can't seem to find much on the interwebs.   

Oh I should also note that I'm not soloing nor plan to.

Edited by Climhazzard

I'm a big fan of high Constitution, Trial of iron would make me even more so.

I think of it as damage reduction that works against every attack and each point adds 5%. If you dropped the dex and perception to 10 you could have a 19 con. That extra 35% makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to health and needing to rest.

Since a party wipe results in a new game I'd go heavy on the con. A little less dex will not be noticed with dual weapon style and lightning strikes. Monks have the highest base accuracy so an extra +5 from a 15 perception is not needed while 25% more health and endurance will be huge. Your endurance and health are your battery that powers the wounds, a bigger battery is better.

The order of the talents looks good. The early regen will start the Wolverine effect before you can get Kana and his regen aura on the team.

Status update:  Cleared to Palegina and Raedric's keep in short order.  Moon Godlike racial and Veteran's recovery at level 2 is making the game a breeze.  Made it through to Maerwald at level 3 with no troubles at all.  Aloth almost died twice already to trapped containers in Raedric's keep...  I need to be more careful.  I'm going to recommend people get Veteran's Recovery at level 2 now.

I hear what you're saying about constitution.  I know most encounters really well though, Dragon's are generally the only opponent that can burst through the self healing, but I don't even attempt to tank them, just distract (summons, run in circles, etc) long enough for pre buffing and to get CC attempts to work.  Having a higher constitution would definitely help cover for unseen situations or mistakes though.  I already started though, and I like the offensive stat setup, the Moon Godlike feels like more than enough to make up for a lower constitution.  If I end up in the the gullet of a Dragon I'll know I was wrong.

Typing this reply I realized I nearly forgot to do the Temple of Eothas altogether.

Aloth almost died twice already to trapped containers in Raedric's keep...

​I've been thinking about this too.  In my Trial of Iron run I'm tending to keep 5 of the party way off  'round a corner, and send one poor SOB with high mechanics in to open containers.  I remember in previous runs sometime failing to detect really nasty AoE traps.  Can't quite recall if one ever wiped out my whole party, but I think it may have been close.

I've been searching the forum trying to find a "General Trial of Iron Survival Tips" thread, but haven't had much luck yet.

Aloth almost died twice already to trapped containers in Raedric's keep...

​I've been thinking about this too.  In my Trial of Iron run I'm tending to keep 5 of the party way off  'round a corner, and send one poor SOB with high mechanics in to open containers.  I remember in previous runs sometime failing to detect really nasty AoE traps.  Can't quite recall if one ever wiped out my whole party, but I think it may have been close.

I've been searching the forum trying to find a "General Trial of Iron Survival Tips" thread, but haven't had much luck yet.

LOL, most of my party got knocked out on those two events, Aloth just has low health at those levels.  I'm up to level 8 now wandering around in the Endless paths, cleared floor 7 and the room of Adragans there before I left for work this morning, the only knockout my MC has had is from one of those traps in Raedric's.  The only other time I nearly had a death (Aloth again... maybe it's destined to happen), was when an AI hiccup caused two groups of ogres to get aggroed on floor 3 near the master staircase.  There was multiple instances of the ogre druid's insect plague, and the rock spell that knocks you down.

I'm sure it's a bug, sometimes the AI will path off to attack a group in a different room, very annoying especially for Trial of Iron.  I don't really want to play with it off, I just have to pay more attention.

For Trial of Iron tactics... I don't know what other people usually do.  I've been taking a few extra precautions but nothing major...  Like I knew about the Adragan's at the final fight on floor 7 of the endless paths, but the party was only level 8 so I had no hard counters to Petrify or Dominate yet, but popping a potion of major recovery for my monk and a scroll of protection for the rest of the party helped the encounter go fairly smooth.

So basically trial of iron gives me an excuse to buy and use the many powerful consumables in the game that I've never really touched before.  To be honest Moon Godlike Monk as been such a beast that I've been taking it for granted, so I'll probably get wrecked before I finish.

I've been thinking about how to prepare my party though.  My monk is the only character I'm going for 14 survival on, for the 60% healing bonus.  The others (besides my mechanics character), are just going up to 8 survival so that I can level Lore on more characters and have revival options for more party members.  After that, my early game armor/item choices are either reducing status effects or give me second chance.  Eder's armor is on Durance (nice to have second chance on the guy that can revive/heal), there is a ring in Defiance bay that gives second chance, and some plate you can acquire from level 8 of the endless paths gives second chance.  Pike's pride and Blaidh Golan both reduce stun and prone by 50% and are very easy to acquire, these seem like very good options for any characters you don't want to be slowed down by plate.

I'm doing talent's a little differently than I normally would as well, like taking veteran's recovery at level 2, which was so effective I'm going to do it from now on anyways.  But I also took arcane veil on Aloth, which I never usually take even for my PotD runs.  

If I do fail, I'll think about what I could have done better, at the moment things are going pretty well.

Edited by Climhazzard

I'm doing talent's a little differently than I normally would as well, like taking veteran's recovery at level 2, which was so effective I'm going to do it from now on anyways.  But I also took arcane veil on Aloth, which I never usually take even for my PotD runs. 

​Arcane Veil is great for survivability when you get mobbed.  I play a PC Wizard, and consider it almost essential, especially later in the game when enemies like to ignore your tanks and head straight for the squishier characters.

​I've also been considering getting "deep pockets", which gives 2 more quick slots.  Normally I'd consider that a bit of a waste, but I was thinking it might be useful for more scrolls and potions that could help when things begin to go badly and you're out of spells and abilities.

g5rMBlh.jpg

Had to open the log up to see what had happened, before he went down she had full endurance and decent health.  Got pancaked, lol.  If I try this on PotD I need to remember to equip another non crushing weapon in my alternate weapon set, all I had was a fist/spear (Cladhaliath), and seemingly everything in the place is crushing immune...

Something to note about Moon Godlike potential...  at level 15 with 27 might, 60% healing received from survival, 25% from armor, and 100% from Kana's Mercy chant, silver tide was healing for 150 endurance per activation.

EDIT:  ^ This is actually wrong.  The healing showed on screen doesn't show overhealing.  On my PotD run I got a screenshot of it healing for 166 without the  Mercy chant.

Edited by Climhazzard

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got bored of this run before I finished it because Moon Godlike Monk is a little to strong for Hard difficulty.  I restarted on PotD and have been playing sporadically.  Finally got to the Adra Dragon today.

It wasn't as good an opening as I would have liked, my monk got knocked down by his first attack, and I didn't even know he had any ranged attacks that could knock you prone.  Also, I found out that the cloak that makes you go invisible when you're crit prevents you from casting self buffs when you're invis.  I was going to open with a couple buffs on Aloth before casting Concelhaut's Crushing Doom...  But with all the accuracy buffs (Devotions of the faithful + BlackWarden's Breastplate + With all your strength slay the beast + Racial accuracy bonus: Beast II) Sagani just stunlocked him right from the start...  so I skipped right to killing bolts which the cloak doesn't prevent you from casting, and he died moment's later.

Moving on to the Alpine Dragon next, no high level scaling for him either, but I will have high level scaling for the sky dragon and the last 2.

Oh, and Kana died on the last of the White March part 2 bounties (The pirates).... RIP.

PHoyxZY.jpg

Edited by Climhazzard

Well... hopefully nobody cares that I'm basically making this thread my Trial of Iron + Path of the Damned boss journal.  

Alpine dragon went pretty smooth, with a movement speed food my monk basically ran circles around him and the adds at the start.  I took the screenshot to show that monks can even knock down dragons, I think it's kind of funny to blast them around with force of anguish (I usually don't have the accuracy buffs to do it, but I was in range of a couple for this).  It also shows that I used The Long Pain in a battle where it's completely useless.... (I had proper weapons prepared for this fight, I just forgot halfway through).

The movement speed on Sagani's wolf was completely bugged, he could barely move.  The spot where he's at in the screenshot (right below the ice blight) was how far he got after moving towards the Dragon nonstop for the entire fight....

Now onto the Skydragon, first with high level scaling enabled.

PQjL5T2.jpg

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

So, I saved and loaded after the Alpine Dragon because I thought that would fix the movement speed issue with Sagani's wolf.  The Sky Dragon went very well with no issues at all, but Sagani's wolf is still moving in slow motion.  If anyone is bothering to read this, any suggestions on how to fix Sagani's wolf?

EDIT:  Update: Kicking her from the party didn't fix the wolf, nor respeccing her, or stripping her naked (was worth a try)... argh....

EDIT2:  Had to replace Sagani with a custom ranger.

Edited by Climhazzard

Finally finished this PotD + Trial of Iron run today.

Got a good screenshot (first shown below) of the healing amount from a 25% Endurance activation of Silver Tide during my fight against Llengrath.  With 27 might (forgot to consume food before the battle) and 85% healing received bonus, it healed for 166 endurance.  It reached all the way to Durance who was the guy standing around with that red looking shield.

If I ever decided to redo this playthrough (for example: after torment's reach is fixed), I would go with at least enough constitution that the 50% Endurance activation of Silver Tide wouldn't be over healing with 30 might total.  With 29 might it's showing 172 healing on the character page, so at 30 I'm guessing it's probably 175, which means I would need 350 endurance to prevent over healing.  14 base constitution with a +2 item bonus would probably be sufficient, 12 with a +2 item bonus if I were able to use the cloak of comfort.  Well, I would probably just hope I got the cloak and go with 13 constitution.  

This run I only had 11 base constitution.  Stats were 19m - 11c - 10d - 18p -10i - 10r.  If I did it again I'd use 19m - 13c -10d -16p -10i 10r.

Screenshot of a Silver Tide activation while fighting Llengrath.

pZHH0GU.jpg

Thaos getting wrecked.  Arcane dampening hit on the first try and he dropped quickly after.  There was a scary moment near the beginning when he succesfully dominated 4 party members though (including Durance), Palegina was able to take care of it.

0nk7FeG.jpg

Overall I didn't have to many problems during the run.  I very nearly died the first time I ran into a broodmother around level 8 though.  And again while fighting the Magran's Faithful bounty.  Kana died during the final bounty, so obviously it didn't go well, but he was the only member to go down during that fight.  The bosses all went well by comparison.

• Like 1