The US Election 2016, Part V

Pidesco

Also failure to do any new water projects while the population doubled. They're also dumping fresh water into the ocean because of the salmon, I think that's what redneckdevil meant.

And which political group do you think is standing in the way of the new water projects?

Also I love Salmon. :thumbsup:

I don't know, which one? Can't be the Republicans, they've been entirely castrated in CA.

Actually digging around seems to show that it is mostly corporations that seem to oppose his plans.

Here's just one example of the extremely widespread SNAP fraud:  http://nypost.com/2013/07/28/nyc-welfare-food-is-shipped-in-barrels-to-the-dominican-republic-then-sold-on-the-black-market/

States don't care about the fraud because all the funding comes from the feds, the fraud actually helps the state economy.

*chuckle*

perhaps "widespread" means something different in texan.    

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Also failure to do any new water projects while the population doubled. They're also dumping fresh water into the ocean because of the salmon, I think that's what redneckdevil meant.

And which political group do you think is standing in the way of the new water projects?

Also I love Salmon. :thumbsup:

I don't know, which one? Can't be the Republicans, they've been entirely castrated in CA.

Actually digging around seems to show that it is mostly corporations that seem to oppose his plans.

As much as I hate corporations, I would think it's the environmentalists that are more at fault here. But I haven't studied the issue.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

claim you is just kidding is only partial true, no?  nothing wrong with using funies to get a point across, but subtlety may not exact be your strong suit.

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:  OK that is probably fair

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm sure Breitbart is an objective source now that it's chairman is running Trump's campaign!

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm sure Breitbart is an objective source now that it's chairman is running Trump's campaign!

I wouldn't exactly call it objective before. But sites like Briebart, Infowars, World Net Daily are pretty up front with what they are about. There isn't any false advertising there. They are not masquerading as a legitimate news outlet. MSNBC on the other hand....

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

@Nightshade You think they're misreporting the results of the poll?

Johnson's running mate looks like a film noir villain.

They look like an old gay-married couple. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Johnson wants to end the IRS.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

@GD: Johnson favors a tax system based on Consumer Spending right?

Yes, a consumption tax like a national sales tax. Generally (at least in states I've lived in) it's applied to all non-essential (meaning not on grocery or medicine) purchases. Although he hasn't released specifics on how it would work or what would be exempt that I've seen.

On advantage though, everyone will be paying taxes. Rich, poor, legal and illegal. Because there is no escaping it the over all burden may be less than the income tax. It would certainly cost a heck of a lot less to collect. Of course, he can't wave a wand and make this happen. He'd have to get Congress to buy in.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

A) The LA Times poll is only tracking Trump v Clinton head to head.

B) The LA Times polls have consistently skewed towards Trump and is the only poll recently that Trump.and the RNC have referenced.

C) The LA Times poll has been the only outlier amongst all other polls which have Clinton up 5.8pts in the aggregate heads up against Trump.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yes, a consumption tax like a national sales tax. Generally (at least in states I've lived in) it's applied to all non-essential (meaning not on grocery or medicine) purchases. Although he hasn't released specifics on how it would work or what would be exempt that I've seen.

On advantage though, everyone will be paying taxes. Rich, poor, legal and illegal. Because there is no escaping it the over all burden may be less than the income tax. It would certainly cost a heck of a lot less to collect. Of course, he can't wave a wand and make this happen. He'd have to get Congress to buy in.

Yes, let's shift all the tax burden on the poor people, since they spend 100% of their income, while the super-rich probably don't even spend 10%.

Yes, let's shift all the tax burden on the poor people, since they spend 100% of their income, while the super-rich probably don't even spend 10%.

Actually it's more like 50% but that doesn't adjust for how much of the percentage in each income group is actually essential spending which doesn't get taxed versus non-essential spending which is taxed.

My problem is that even if you tax the entirety of US consumer spending (~70% of GDP or 11.5 T$) you need nearly a 40% tax rate to generate 4 Trillion $ to cover the federal budget.

It would really be nice if he had some more details on exactly how his NST proposal differs from any of the others or what gets included.    Frankly the IRS budget is a drop in the bucket of the US Federal budget.  :)

PS:  He still might get my vote because I would rather have root canal than vote for Hillary .... or Trump.  

Edited by kgambit

lolwat: http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/08/17/world-now-officially-upside-adl-condemns-trumps-plan-ban-antisemites-antisemitic/

A group fighting anti-semitism is fighting Trump who wants to stop anti-semitists from entering the country. What a time to be alive (i do not think that Trump is even serious here, he's having fun trolling).

Also, a more serious one (i hope)

CqFctXeW8AAshog.jpg

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Clearly overstating his (potential) impact on the race.

Probably. But as we were discussing before, there are other prizes to be had in the race than the White House. A trip to the debates, a strong showing on election day (say 5-7%) and a concerted effort to run congressional candidates in 2018 sets things up nicely for 2020. Assuming a suitable candidate can be found. I don't think Johnson will run again and I don't think they will have Weld without him. 

Thomas Sowell

I was referring more to the article itself. I agree that having viable third (or more) parties is a good thing.

But I think it's more feasible to enact internal change within the two major parties itself -- like the Sanders and Tea Party insurrections. Though such prospects give centrists frowny faces.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I was referring more to the article itself. I agree that having viable third (or more) parties is a good thing.

But I think it's more feasible to enact internal change within the two major parties itself -- like the Sanders and Tea Party insurrections. Though such prospects give centrists frowny faces.

Inter-party factions tend to run out of gas. I think what killed the Tea Party (assuming it has even been killed) was they got nearly every candidate they wanted and they went to DC and became just another Republican. It would be like Bernie Sanders riding a populist wave into office then signing TPP, invading Syria, and rolling back environmental regulations. That would just break the faction that put him there.

Thomas Sowell

Alberta is Canada's Texas. Complete with cowboys and guns

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Clearly overstating his (potential) impact on the race.

Probably. But as we were discussing before, there are other prizes to be had in the race than the White House. A trip to the debates, a strong showing on election day (say 5-7%) and a concerted effort to run congressional candidates in 2018 sets things up nicely for 2020. Assuming a suitable candidate can be found. I don't think Johnson will run again and I don't think they will have Weld without him.

As long as the electoral system isn't reformed there is no way a third party becomes a viable option in the US, unfortunately.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

On the growing popularity and influence of Breitbart and synergies with the Trump campaign.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-made-breitbart-great-again/

Breitbart's page views have doubled - coinciding with Trump's political rise.

The SPLC States that Breitbart is on its way to becoming "the media arm of the Alt-Right," the white nationalist movement...

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/04/28/breitbartcom-becoming-media-arm-alt-right

Again...Breitbart Executive Chairman Stephen Bannon is now the Trump campaign CEO.