Hey, everyone has got his own opinion.. no need to be sarcastic... I expected more work done on the Npcs, what's so bad in it? I may call your opinion of DA strictly unjustified, and the number of copies sold are there to testify it. But even without this, the only thing I see is you mocking me because I don't like a game...  

How can you even judge the NPCs without actually playing the game?  Based on your interaction with them at level 3?  You're judging a game without hardly having even played it.  People who've played the game through to the end then read your post are obviously going to respond with a negative opinion to you.

I've played and enjoyed DA, and all the older games that this one is modeled after.  DA has no advantage over PoE in the depth of it's story nor the depth of it's characters.  The biggest difference is the depth of it's combat, which is shallow, that may be your thing, for those who enjoy PoE it's not (or perhaps they enjoy both games for what they are).  If you want shallow combat you can try story mode which was designed just for that, then experience the actual full story of the game, then come back here and pass judgement, until then you don't have the right.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 2

Man, you must have hated Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age Origins, Wasteland and nearly any other party based rpg so far...  :skeptical:

I finished Baldur's, Icewind, Neverwinter... but that's all. Then I grew tired of that kind of games. Now I look for awesome stories, great interactions, role in its purest form. Tactical combat is of no importance to me. As I said, I want to care about me. In real life would you hold your comrade's arm to help him swing his sword? I don't want to be a tactician, I want ONLY to roleplay and grow my MC. Open to suggestions ;)

I sometimes feel like this, what games did you thoroughly enjoy? I'm guessing Witcher, Skyrim, fallout are your cup of tea. 

Hey, everyone has got his own opinion.. no need to be sarcastic... I expected more work done on the Npcs, what's so bad in it? I may call your opinion of DA strictly unjustified, and the number of copies sold are there to testify it. But even without this, the only thing I see is you mocking me because I don't like a game...  

I only played DA:O, and not the 2 sequels. I read a lot (for hours and hours) about these sequels, looked at videos, read countless players opinions on metacritic, and i guess it was enough to grasp roughly what these games were like. Let's bring a point though: DAI sold many copies, but have you taken a look at the metactric players score for DA 2 and DAI? I did. And when Loren suggests that commercial success is not a solid indicator of quality, i feel he's right, because these low scores tend to prove his assumption. I've seen much about the DAI story and sidequests (through dozens of long players critics, and some videos). While some would argue that the (short) main plot is ok, the game seems to be filled with nonsensical grinding. Many feel it disrupts the story and it's just fillers to artificially increase the game lenght. So, it's no surprise that you played 153h to finish the game. If for you, it was solid RPG, then, there are things i don't understand. How can someone who played RPGs with so many written quests as BG can feel MMO quests fully statisfying? I don't pass judement, i'm wondering in earnest.

Maybe you are a player that considers RPGs as a way to relax yourself at times, something like sitting before the TV. And thus, you need a no brainer, easy game, that barely need you to "click to win". It's probably not a bad way to consider games. But if it's the case, PoE is definitely not for you. Because even the side stories, the main plot will need you to be invested, to think things thoroughly, and to ponder many details. PoE is definitely not a no brainer game (though not to the extent of Planescape). And that is precisely what the guys who backed it liked. Pillars does not just tell you a story through dialogues. It tries to make you concerned about plot and side quests. And thus, it needs efforts to play through them.

When you say that you expected more work on the NPCs, i guess you mean "i expected them to be fully automatized through AI and to follow my character mindlessly even in the bathrooms". Well, PoE is not this kind of game. The fact that you need to handle more than one character in combat is not because of a lack of work. It's a design choice, since the very start. I still don't understand how you did not expect that. PoE exists because there are people who are fed up with mindless RPG like Skyrim or DA. It's obvious you would not find in PoE the same things than in DAI.

We are not mocking you. We are not saying that your tastes are wrong (even though i despise games like DAI or Fallout 4 more than i could ever say). Because tastes are personal matters, and they don't result of some boring, well grounded mathematical formulae. We are merely pointing out that the things you said in your last posts are irrelevant. And even i, will agree with some things Loren said. It's worth pointing this out, because it's really a rare occasion lol.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 2

Well said.

I own DA:I but I played the game for 2-3 hours and then found out that I can't refund it (don't remember why, something with preorder). So I contributed to it's commercial success, but just can't force myself to play it. It tastes like wet paper. But it was a lesson for me so I didn't preorder F4. Shadowrun series were much more satisfying despite its simplicity.

I liked Fallout 4, built a castle on the biggest base site I could find, it was epic.  http://imgur.com/a/MQ9zG

DA:O was a good game too, simpler combat than PoE but I still enjoyed it quite a lot.  DA:2 could only be described as a godawful cash grab trying to capitalize on the success of DA:O... imo.  DA:I was probably good but I only rented it and I got really annoyed with the limited inventory before I actually accomplished anything...

Edited by Climhazzard

I love Fallout 4.

Whover isn't challenged enough by it needs to try out new survival mode. :D

The new survival mode looks more like a chore than a challenge to me, having to eat/drink like every 14 real life mins to stay healthy or some crap, and no fast travel in a game with such a huge map, sure there are vertibirds later but that's way later, but it's really just a waste of time, the designers expected people to have insane amount of free time and patience to pour into this mode or some ****. I don't really see challenge in this, which requires people to think about how to overcome, but more like a pain in the ass.

Skill design is really lame in fallout 4 also, the no level cap design, again encouraging people to pour time into the game, gauss rifles won't even appear in the game unless the player spend like 50 hours leveling up, and makes it annoying for people like me to theorycraft builds because there isn't a level restriction, and weapon mods, one can spend many skill points and many int sacrificing build paths to unlock certain weapon mods only to find that a lot of them can be dropped and bought, and it's pure rng, idk what to even say about this system.

DA:I looks more like a dating sim to me, the first map is huge, then the rest of the maps were just dullaf, a lot of useless features like those points you get with nowhere to spend on, and again, no level cap, idk why people even like this feature.

I'm more looking forward to elder scrolls 6, although skyrim's combat wasn't exactly great either, my favourite game in this genre, or around this genre is probably kingdom of amalur: reckoning, the combat in that game is pretty amazing, and it has a pretty good skill tree system, open for theorycraft, too bad the art and story fall short.

• Like 1

Origins was great, one of my favourites, dark, gritty.... Never quite forgiven Bioware for ruining the franchise ( for me).

For me Pillars is up there with some great company. Origins, Witcher2&2, BG2, IWD 1&2, Torment and Mask.... Which one is best? Depends on which one I am playing :)

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I also loved Legends of Grimrock. Sure, it's a bit of a different genre, dungeon crawling and all like Eye of the Beholder was. But I put so many hours into it, trying so many builds despite the relatively simple skill system.

DA:O was really nice. I especially liked the feature that you could combine spells to a powerful effect (Storm of the Century wtf?).

I didn't even finish DA2. Had a bit of Fable feeling - which I don't like.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I love Fallout 4.

Whover isn't challenged enough by it needs to try out new survival mode. :D

The new survival mode looks more like a chore than a challenge to me, having to eat/drink like every 14 real life mins to stay healthy or some crap, and no fast travel in a game with such a huge map, sure there are vertibirds later but that's way later, but it's really just a waste of time, the designers expected people to have insane amount of free time and patience to pour into this mode or some ****. I don't really see challenge in this, which requires people to think about how to overcome, but more like a pain in the ass.

Skill design is really lame in fallout 4 also, the no level cap design, again encouraging people to pour time into the game, gauss rifles won't even appear in the game unless the player spend like 50 hours leveling up, and makes it annoying for people like me to theorycraft builds because there isn't a level restriction, and weapon mods, one can spend many skill points and many int sacrificing build paths to unlock certain weapon mods only to find that a lot of them can be dropped and bought, and it's pure rng, idk what to even say about this system.

DA:I looks more like a dating sim to me, the first map is huge, then the rest of the maps were just dullaf, a lot of useless features like those points you get with nowhere to spend on, and again, no level cap, idk why people even like this feature.

I'm more looking forward to elder scrolls 6, although skyrim's combat wasn't exactly great either, my favourite game in this genre, or around this genre is probably kingdom of amalur: reckoning, the combat in that game is pretty amazing, and it has a pretty good skill tree system, open for theorycraft, too bad the art and story fall short.

Well the challenge comes from you not being able to manually save. ;)

If you really play that game mode the other additions like no fast travel will make sense all of a sudden, goes very well with having to sleep to save.

I never got around playing more than the tutorial in DA2 but I probably should have tried DA:O before which I never even touched, sadly.

I have played and enjoyed both DA and PoE greatly. They are different story driven games for sure. PoE just doesn't have pure "voice over" quest presentation and NPCs on auto-pilot.

Obsidian can make those games too, look at the Kotor sequel, The Sith Lords. With all the "completion"-mods added it is really solid just like the first Kotor game by Bioware.

DA:O's quest system is what I remember the most. The way you could finish different quests in very different ways, even the ending. The demon corruption, elves and the werewolves, the golem forge and the dwarven kings, the last warrior recruit, Morrigan's late night proposal etc.

DA2, Gameplay-wise it was a weird fight waves on enemies with shallow skill-trees and flashy combo-chain auto-attacking. I have played Ninja Turtles games with my nephews with more depth and enjoyable skill-system than that. And the "mother" quest line is just so wrong.

DAI, it is a single-player MMORPG, or similar to Skyrim like somebody mentioned. The quests are laid out in the same fashion, to make you roam from area to area. And the maps are simply too large. I remember spending hours just exploring some maps while mounted, not really finding anything interesting. And you pick a lot of flowers...I kid you not, you will go around picking just tons of flowers, thinking you need them to craft potions and magic enhancements.

Story-wise DAI seemed like a big meh, main antatagonist comes from a DLC from DA2 and was never really part of the plot at all....which is although a huge step up after the traumatizingly bad ending of Mass Effect 3.

But PoE has some issues as well. I mean sometimes the high deflection of the spirit enemies in Act 1, along with the focus-fire drain spell from the Shades on your squishiest character is really aggravating. You have so few options to deal with this in the low levels. The regional vendors should really be given cold resist food and some drugs that increase your accuracy against spirits.

Or the hordes of the Laguafaeth Sidewinders backed up by the "Cleansing Flame"-cannons, or up-scaled Adragan deciding to cast Returning Storm, then follows up with Dominate and Petrify over and over.

I think these sort of encounters can chase of new players for sure, and it is annoying on Normal as well as PotD.

The Caed Nua side-quests have some interesting writing. The only disappointing part was not being able to manually resolve all those quests, but that would be enough material for at least an expansion I think.

I recently stumbled upon the Shadowrun games(SR: Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong), which was a nice surprise to me since I haven't heard of that series before. A small warning though, the vendors you meet sometimes have backstorys that rival the size of the main plot in terms of text. Less emphasis on the game-play and more on the story, even though there are quite a lot of options for character builds. And there is zero voice-acting.

I never got a chance to play through Neverwinter Nights, other than the first main quest. Anybody found the expansion and the sequel enjoyable?

I never got a chance to play through Neverwinter Nights, other than the first main quest. Anybody found the expansion and the sequel enjoyable?

I remember playing and enjoying pretty much everything Neverwinter Nights (all sequels and expansions), but no part of the story in any of them was memorable enough for me to remember any details now despite having played them multiple times....   Same with Kotor.  I do remember parts of the Mass Effect storyline though.

Unlike say... BG2, who's antagonist will forever remain in my memory.  Even when I'm old and senile I'll still remember that SoB.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

I remember playing and enjoying pretty much everything Neverwinter Nights (all sequels and expansions), but no part of the story in any of them was memorable enough for me to remember any details now despite having played them multiple times....   Same with Kotor.  I do remember parts of the Mass Effect storyline though.

Unlike say... BG2, who's antagonist will forever remain in my memory.  Even when I'm old and senile I'll still remember that SoB.

Yea Irenicus was just beyond any antagonist in any game I ever played.

Excellent voice over and character.