Fun fact: the first character I managed to stick to for a bit (40 hours maybe) was a great sword wielding Orlan cipher... What I am saying is don't think of weapons as belonging to a certain race... Heck, they even change in size when equipped on different characters, so what the hell. If anything, go by lore as in your personal character's. Because anybody could pick up both a hunting bow and a morning star. It pretends on what the individual character learned to use.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Hi there, I began playing with the aumaua. It's just I didn't have much time, and I didn't try anything past the prologue. He's quite strong, physically impressive, but sadly there's no option to make him a pirate without sacrificing something in term of ability scores. I had to make him come from the White and make him an explorer. While chatting with Calisca, he states that he was a seaman, and his ship was attacked BY pirates... quite the opposite of what I wanted lore-wise. I shall study the background a little more..

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

If you want a pirate-y background you need Deadfire Archipelago. I wouldn't worry too much about the missed +1 MIG, you can still go for 20 with the Aumaua. Though in terms of flavour the Bleakwalker does seem to fit it more than the Goldpact Knight (you can get a nice fearsome pirate thing going with Black Path as well). Add in a cutlass sabre and some pistols, Robert Newton accent, eyepatch... :grin: (there genuinely is an eyepatch you can get, by the way).

Deadfire Archipelago = pirates. The barb companion you can have is also from there - and guess what: she used to be a raider (aka pirates who pillage on land ;)).

For a pirate you should use Deadfire Archipelago and raider. Since you don't want to minmax anyway, the bonus point from culture doesn't really matter.

By the way - later on you can get headgear that looks like a pirate's headscarf. It gives you +2 survival which is not too bad there's better headgear, but +2 survival can be really handy to reach certain levels of camping bonuses (for example bonus healing or ACC bonus) earlier in the game and with less skill points.

If you want how it looks like, take a peak into the build "The Immortal Martyr" in the list. He wears that headscarf thing.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

(you can get a nice fearsome pirate thing going with Black Path as well). 

Hi Loren, explain.... is black path a quest?

EDIT: sorry loren, seen the talent... ;) seems rather strong... and even corrode damage looks good...

Back on BG: Being not an Orlan will get me a maximum of 18 PER... i don't think that will be a problem, right? I'll stay with double stilettos and blunderbuss anyway, I like this flavor...

Edited by Slack83er

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

18 is Fine as well... So? What's the plan now?

BTW if you choose the raider background from Deadfire, you can specifically state you were a pirate to calisica, and it will be added to your in-game biography after the dialogue... Same goes for every background, you can get more specific and it will be added.

Also, if you go scientists you can say you were making drugs (go Walter White), if you are a merchant you can become a smuggler, a explorer could have been a "cold-blooded conqueror". A clergyman could have manipulated people. A Drifter could "wander into people's lives and take their money".

So, that's for "unexpected" outlaw choices

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Plan is as follows: island aumaua, raider bg, deadfire archipelago, two stilettos, one blunderbuss, maybe pistol. Pirate background, probably bleak walkers. I'll try to play a real bada** pirate, see what comes around. He has a solid story, and stats-wise he is ok, should work. Ofc, if this is the case, Ben, you'll be credited for it.. :)

• Like 1

BTW if you go bleak walker you could think about the cold-blooded adventurer

It says ". I sailed with cold-blooded conquerors"

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

And everybody knows

Then you can choose between

"All we did was pillage and destroy. It accomplished nothing."

"You conquer enough places, it isn't long before it's your homeland they go after."

"No amount of plundering has been able to quench my bloodlust. I wonder if anything will."

• Like 1

And everybody knows

Hi all, time to update: I tried the pirate. It's everything ok, except that I can't really play Bleak Walkers. They're too cruel to upkeep with the conversation options.. I'll take Goldpact. I moved until the zone to the southeast of Gilded Vale, but died there to 4 wolves together. I only took Aloth, so Eder was missing... that might be the reason. I was carrying a hammer and a rapier. No sign of a Stiletto or blunderbuss, except the stiletto in the forge which sells for 2k-something, that I didn't have. Suggestions (except picking Eder, I know)? 

EDIT: no dwarf. I continue to dislike this race aesthetically in PoE. Sorry. So it's either Aumaua (pirate) or Orlan (don't know which bg to take)

Edited by Slack83er

As I said, blunderbuss comes late... You can find a pistol in the first level by a camp near the water, and later in raedric's keep. Stilletos... I always found some. Find the 3 bandits. One was in one of the boxes. You'll manage to find some. At the end of act I you find a pretty good unique one as loot from a spider miniboss

For Background: Well, the link ;)

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

If you tank you absolutely need a shield at low levels.

How about you put hatchet and small shield in your 2nd weapon slot until you have your ranged weapon and more companions to tank for you?

Normal wolves are very strong compared to young ones. It's a common thing to die when you get attacked by more than one in the early game. That's no flaw of your character. Also, by any means - try to avoid wild boars in Magran's Fork - they will obliterate you.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Normal wolves are very strong compared to young ones. It's a common thing to die when you get attacked by more than one in the early game. That's no flaw of your character. Also, by any means - try to avoid wild boars in Magran's Fork - they will obliterate you.

The fun times Durance had, when I dragged those to him with my solo pala.

Sadly he didn't survive.

The fun times Durance had, when I dragged those to him with my solo pala.

Sadly he didn't survive.

Did you help him though ;) Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

I figured there was nothing wrong with the MC... It was just a "trial" to see what came out of that build. I didn't even bring Eder... :) I just have to decide if I play Aumaua or Orlan. Orlan can start right away with 19 PER and crits often, but I can't find a proper BG for him...maybe mercenary... Aumaua has the 3rd weapon slot, which in the very beginning is quite useless. But looking a little forward and lore-wise it's the one that appeals to me the most because of the pirate BG (weapons such as the blunderbuss or stilettos are pirate-y) I tried to pick the Bleak Walkers but they are somehow too "cruel" oriented for my style of play... Guildpact seems more "moderate" to me... whaddaya think guys? 

Also one last thing: As Ben stated in his very first post about the cheetah build, scores are as follows: 14 8 8 19 14 14. 

With the Aumaua they change, and I don't know if it's better to take RES at 16 or MIG at 15 or INT at 15... which one matters the most?

From what I know, Res has quite a lot of items to increase. Might has also more than Int . So it's probably best to increase Int. ;)

Also you really feel the bigger AoE when fighting in big areas

For RP, a goldpact seems nice. Perhaps he joined pirates for gold, or he organised a crew when seeing how much miney could be made. Perhaps he also sailed with conquerors

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

So int it will be. Do goldpact go well with pirate flavor? They're sort of.. Mercenaries? With regard to shield... This mc is awfully slow when one handed... With a shield I'm going to tank maybe, but hit once in a long while... I don't know if it's the right way... Perhaps better to have Eder do it?

P.s. The aumaua has the 3rd weapon slot. Does a pistol go in it in due time? Or another melee for pierce resistant enemies? Is it gonna be useful?

Edited by Slack83er