Godansthunyr durations unaffected by graze/hit/crit [3.03]

Jojobobo

Question

So I was testing out Godansthunyr, and I noticed that for whatever reason it's stun duration is entirely unaffected by graze/hit/crit on the stratus roll (as in, it's always 3 sec x Int modifier). I didn't test other weapons with these on crit effects, but I presume they're all the same as it seems unlikely they would be coded any differently.

I thought this seemed a little odd, as I know from testing Silver Flash its blind durations on hit/crit are affected by graze/hit/crit on the status roll. Is this intentional or not? Seems to make being a Barbarian a little easier, as with Int 20 and Dex 10 with full plate and two weapon fighting, you're able to hit again with the on crit effect weapon within that 4.5 second window (no other speed boosters necessary). A minimum Int 20 Dex 10 spread is fairly low benchmark for such a strong effect - though granted you won't get such weapons until Act 3.

Edited by Jojobobo

7 answers to this question

The StunOnCrit and ProneOnCrit effects actually have their own special implementation (not sure why), they aren't like other weapon proc effects in this regard. The ProneOnCrit works as intended, only the StunOnCrit is incorrect. As it turns out, in the StatusEffect.WhenHits function is called, the code for the StunOnCrit passes the wrong DamageInfo (the hit/damage packet) to the ApplyAffliction function that actually does the Stunning part. Before calling this function it first performs a to hit roll (via another function) versus Fortitude. This generates a DamageInfo object, and this is supposed to be passed to ApplyAffliction (this is what indeed happens in the code block for ProneOnCrit). However, the DamageInfo from the original attack is passed to ApplyAffliction instead, which is inherently always a Crit; the base duration is set to 2 seconds, so the Stunned duration will always be 3 x (INT modifier) seconds. 

The reason the output log does show graze/hit/crit is that the function that generates that output does get passed the correct DamageInfo object. If you hit one of your own characters a bit with the hammer though, you'll see that the 'stunned' symbol next to the character portrait always says 'crit', even if the log didn't. 

Should be an easy fix though. Just a matter of changing the DamageInfo packet that gets passed to ApplyAffliction to the correct one. 

• Like 5

I confirm that i saw the exact same thing with the flail Starcaller. Hit, crit, or graze on the roll vs fortitude will always proc a 3 sec stun effect. I was not sure if it was a bug though.

It would be worth fixing for the durations alone it seems, a fixed 3 sec duration (which as you say is occurring because ApplyAffliction is considering it a crit) which is then multiplied by Int (which should be high on a Barbarian) is quite a powerful thing. As I mentioned I was testing in full plate, so the fact you can have that high a DR and still chain status together is a bit crazy.

I guess I'll hold off on making a Barb until this issue is resolved or until they say they're not going to make more patches, I would obviously want to try and pitch my attack speed plus armor to a level where I could reliably stun a group so given my aversion to respecing I'll wait to see what the score is. It's also not as simple as that anyway, because even if I did respec to up my Dex to make a given armour group viable I'd have to lower a different attribute which are all currently pitched at the level I want them so it'd throw the build out of whack. Either that, or I'll just do my testing with Wē Toki instead to get an appropriate Dex which will work if the the stun weapons are patched, and also use Wē Toki in the mean time.

You certainly seem to getting to the bottom of these problems quickly Loren, maybe you should ask for a job ;)

Edited by Jojobobo

Well, I do like a puzzle, and bug hunting certainly provides those :). Though this one was reasonably straightforward, since I already knew the two OnCrit effects were separate from the regular weapon procs. 

The indications are that there will indeed be a further update by the way: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88092-psychic-backlash-bug-cipher-use-it-on-himself-at-the-begining-of-battle/?p=1832478. Given the simple fix on this, I can't imagine it'll still be there in 3.04.

Well, I do like a puzzle, and bug hunting certainly provides those :). Though this one was reasonably straightforward, since I already knew the two OnCrit effects were separate from the regular weapon procs. 

The indications are that there will indeed be a further update by the way: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88092-psychic-backlash-bug-cipher-use-it-on-himself-at-the-begining-of-battle/?p=1832478. Given the simple fix on this, I can't imagine it'll still be there in 3.04.

That was quite helpful. This will be fixed in 3.04 (not in the current Beta) - the Stun effect will not always crit and will instead respect the result of the Fort attack.

• Like 3