Masterwork tools powers

Hi guys, I thought that 'Masterwork tools' card was quite a rare and powerful card...  I didn't expect to be useless.. 

In the image I could just use 'reveal' (with Ezren..) for a 13 disable barrier that can ALSO be beaten with combat 24...

I don't understand .. there are 2 alternatives ... a secondary way to beat the barrier in combat... and the primary way just get impossible through the tool?

Perhaps the MT description can be interpreted in a different way? Is that the correct interpretation for the physical game too?

post-165413-0-21315000-1469996663_thumb.jpg

MW tools is fantastic, just not on the loked stone door. The disable check is 13, so the top part of MW Tools allows you to add 2 dice, as you correctly saw. The second power specifically states it can beat any barrier with a HIGHEST check of 14. Since the Combat check is 26, which is higher than 14, MW Tools cannot be used to beat the barrier.

Working as intended.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I thought that 'Masterwork tools' card was quite a rare and powerful card...  I didn't expect to be useless.. 

In the image I could just use 'reveal' (with Ezren..) for a 13 disable barrier that can ALSO be beaten with combat 24...

I don't understand .. there are 2 alternatives ... a secondary way to beat the barrier in combat... and the primary way just get impossible through the tool?

Perhaps the MT description can be interpreted in a different way? Is that the correct interpretation for the physical game too?

It's definitely NOT useless. It's just that you face one of the only barriers that won't be beaten by a single use of the Masterwork Tools, but it would still help (a lot) some character with the Disable skill to defeat this barrier, and would help any other character to defeat most of the barriers like Trapped Passageway, Pit Trap, Collapsed Ceiling and Ambush, with the cost of an automatic recharge. Even Thieves' Tools are useful until Tier 2 or 3; MW Tools is simply amazing for the rest of the game.

• Like 1