Story the weak point of the game?

Hey guys.

Just finished the game. Amazing ending but that's the issue.... only the ending was amazing.... 

The mechanics, the lore, the NPC are all great... Loved it... the stronghold... that's exactly what cRPG should be (and Baldurs Gate back in the days)

There is some improvement to be done (limited stash... I finished the game with 500 000 gold lol and everything enchanted).... maybe a POE1, WhiteMarch, POE2 in the same maps....

Anyway, just wanted to say like my Topic Title said..... I don't see the story replay value... From Act 1 you purse who ''cursed'' you, Act 2 you find it can kill you or drive you nuts, act 3.... keep going but gods are involved... act4... massive god lot.

All this time you never feel the urge to pursue Thaos... You don't care basically about your curse and than at the end you like WTF it has to do with GODS. 

Anyway, the watcher concept, thaos concept, the gods concept all that amazing... it just all the inbetween act1 to act 4 feels dry and push in your through. 

Never thought my ''watcher curse'' was a big deal or emotional stressing, even forgot Thaos was in the game lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Maerwald has a huge role. Once my character saw what happened to him, she found the urge to solve this problem. Actually, she was terrified by everything until then (Caldera speaking to her from that hanging tree just freaked her out to the point she almost got nuts). But i would agree that if your character is the fearless kind, or the kind to actually feel like your curse is a gift... then the urge is... meh.

And now that i think about it... I had a hard time too, in BG2, to feel the urge to go save Imoen in Brynlaw :D. The problem may be that the main plotline is not present enough, too short, and diluted into all the side quests things. Side quests is a great thing. But in act 2, the main plot part is really diluted, to the point that you could even forget the urge of your situation. Though the terrific visions, even in side quests, were a good reminder to me. Maybe a longer, more present, more detailed plotine could have helped.

IMHO, BG was no better in this regards.

I just finished it too (university EATS my life/time) and I think the story is really good, FAR better  than what Baldurs Gate  had to offer in fact. The problem IMHO was that the core game needed more time and polish into how that story should be conveyed. Probably a thing related to time/money because both expansions really improve on that regard and are more fun to play because of it. I really hope to see a PoE2 in the future and as one of the original backers: it feels really good to see ones hope and trust rewarded.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished it too (university EATS my life/time) and I think the story is really good, FAR better  than what Baldurs Gate  had to offer in fact. The problem IMHO was that the core game needed more time and polish into how that story should be conveyed. Probably a thing related to time/money because both expansions really improve on that regard and are more fun to play because of it. I really hope to see a PoE2 in the future and as one of the original backers: it feels really good to see ones hope and trust rewarded.

The story wasn't told well at all even though it had a lot of good elements.  The whole Thaos bit was pooly written.  This is something I hope they improve in the sequel.

Both of you are right. The story is better than BG's, but it stops in the middle, only to get interesting again at the end. But before that you don't feel involved. 

What do you mean "it stops in the middle"? Care to elaborate on that? Because I felt Defiance Bay was just splendid(really, the Sanatorium and the Honor Hill were just that good). /shrug Maybe I overlooked something that "breaks" the game.

I didn't care about Twin Elms tho. At that point I'm usually in full pursuit of Thaos so I don't care about petty Druid troubles(most of which are "oh so important" compared to Thaos /rolleyes).

I don't know, after the ceremony with the leaden key it didn't feel really relevant. I did a few things here a few things there, but I didn't get a feeling that I thwarted the plans of my arch-enemy and just did ... things. In Twin Elms the story became more personl to me and the quests from the gods felt relevant to the plot. It gave us a good idea how the gods worked and how they influence the world, while in Defiance Bay we did just a few quests and then the plot moved on.

Main quest line plot is super weak in that it's lacking in content, overall the game is lacking in story content. Backstory (half the main quest story content is psychically witnessing backstory) and lore are super rich. Considering the games it's trying to emulate, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, it's not that surprising. I don't think it's meant to be a story centric game, it's meant to be combat focused. The expansions are a step in the right direction.