[3.03] Defiant Resolve duration unaffected by Intellect

Jojobobo

Question

See title, while far from game-breaking bug it's a little disappointing playing a Hearth Orlan with high Intellect only for it to not factor in that Intellect. It is a duration based ability, so I'm not seeing any reason why it shouldn't be affected.

2 answers to this question

For Defiant Resolve the reason is that it is implemented differently from normal StatusEffects (it's actually four StatusEffects, but never mind that). Essentially, as far as I can tell, the Defiant Resolve effect is permanently active, given a bonus of 0 with the Duration parameter value set to 0. It also has a StatusEffectTrigger which goes off when Will has been targeted, which resets the activation timer, applies the DurationAdjustment of +10 (and the effect adjustment of +10). This DurationAdjustment is not modified by INT.

Whether not applying INT here is an oversight is an open question. Normally the INT modifier is applied whenever the StatusEffect takes effect, but in this case that would presumably be when you start or load the game, way before it triggers. It should be possible to still add it when the StatusEffect.OnTrigger() function is called though. They could temporarily set the Duration parameter of the StatusEffect to the DurationAdjustment value, call the CalculateDuration function and increment the current duration by the adjusted value this gives, then reset the Duration parameter to its original value. But keep in mind that this is very general code, it's not remotely specific to Defiant Resolve. This will thus affect various other abilities as well. Which should be fine (emphasis decidedly on *should*), but these things do always have the potential to have an unintended knock-on effect somewhere down the line. 

As for Scroll of Confusion, duration seems fine to me. Just tried it, and for me it gives the usual 8s base adjusted by INT, same as when casting it directly from a spellbook.