Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

who gets targeted primarely by the enemy?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

demeisen

demeisen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The easiest defense against that is to not build squishy glass cannons.

This helps quite a bit in my experience.  For my PoTD run with a PC wizard, I intentionally beefed up his defense all around, both in terms of stats, items, and spells.  It really helped.  Of course you still have to be careful, but I liked the challenge of having to use reasonable tactics, rather than one tactic all the time.

KDubya

KDubya

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1044 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

If the Ai was really good they'd have arquebus or arbalest on switch from their main weapon and start of with volley fire at the softest targets that you have. That is the tactic that we use, having that used against us would be tough.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1924 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
To be fair, I don't think scripting a difficult AI would be that difficult - player's party is always massively outnumbered and just scripting the AI to always ignore everybody and target characters in order of their squishiness would be easy and brutally effective. Then again, game AI is not scripted to be as effective and dangerous as humanly possible, it's mainly programmed to be fun to fight against, and having varied algorithms to decide how they'll pick their targets does make fights somewhat more varied.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To be fair, I don't think scripting a difficult AI would be that difficult - player's party is always massively outnumbered and just scripting the AI to always ignore everybody and target characters in order of their squishiness would be easy and brutally effective. Then again, game AI is not scripted to be as effective and dangerous as humanly possible, it's mainly programmed to be fun to fight against, and having varied algorithms to decide how they'll pick their targets does make fights somewhat more varied.

Sword Coast Stratagems is a pretty good warning against making AI too optimal.  It's great seeing mobs run around web, and not bunch up.  It sucks using 800 counterspells vs. contingencies on one lich and then having a fighter ice them in one hit.  There's a reason BG2 made its wizards overpowered but dumb.

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ok, maybe you guys right. But right now, this whole disengagement thing reminds me of Vanilla World of Warcraft. It was the same tactics - Tank aggro Boss/Pack of Mobs for some time and only after that period of time, DPS classes would be able to safely join the battle. And of course, if some DPS classes over reacted and for some reason Tank lost the aggro, then you have what i have in POE now, where some random thugs went for my mage, ignoring Eder who was desperately trying to save the day.

The only thing that I miss in this game now, is the music from Benny Hill Show, because this is exactly what it looks like during some encounters.

Anyway what i like to say is - Aggro is Bad.

I'm curious what your thoughts on this are now, assuming you've played more of the game. Have you figured out how to control the crowds yet?

firkraag888

firkraag888

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 318 posts

On what does it depend who the enemy targets first? I thought maybe its who attacks the enemy first - but - fighting currently orgers - they ALWAYS attack my player character - even if the tank engaged them first - as soon as my character is in reach they attack her...why is that? Is it stat dependent? My character has one of the highest resolves of the team - is that it?

You will completely ruin your playing experience if you try and work out exactly how the AI works.

Just ignore it and enjoy the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users