Before the Flood: can't go forward OR back due to crashing

Zed the Sharp

Question

Please help!  My characters are trapped!

I am admittedly running the game on old hardware, an iPad 2.  As a result, it crashes occasionally, and I've gotten used to putting up with that.  But now I've reached a point where it crashes 100% consistently, and I am stuck. 

I have a team of 6 characters, and they have decided to start "Before the Flood", on Legendary difficulty.  When I enter Story Mode, they are already committed to this, and the first screen I get is the "During this scenario" page which tells me about Black Magga, and also tells me which random wildcard powers have been assigned.  After that I reach the page where I get to drag my characters to their starting locations, and then the page where I can change their turn order.  After that I get the map, then the animation of Magga breaking the dam and starting down the river.  Then I get the inter-scene screen showing the game's main logo, and then the game *always* crashes. If I could at least start at the Adventure page (i.e. the page where you can pick which adventure/scenario you want to play), I could avoid this and choose a different adventure for them.  But when I go in to Story mode again, my characters are still committed to starting "Before the Flood".

Throughout this, the "gear" button is available, but the "Forfeit" button is greyed out.  If it weren't, it could save me.

I know some tricks to help avoid crashing (restart the device, close all other apps) ... with those, I get as far as I described.  (Without them, it usually crashes even earlier.)

5 answers to this question

Yes, as Hannibal said, I think you can dismiss the old party (the X button on the top of every party in Story screen) without loosing the characters. Then make a new party with the same crew. The unlocked scenarios are connected to the party members, so they will be identical.

Also you could try to pass that scenario through a different devise, cause Story mode data is saved on the server. I freely switch between tablet and pc (look for Memu emulator, quite better than Bluestacks)

Edited by RedPred

Thanks for the tips, I'll try things out.  I am hesitant about the idea of hitting the X button, as I would want to be really sure I wouldn't lose the characters.  Maybe I'll try it out on a party of "New" characters that I don't care about.

Another device is a possibility too ... I'll admit I haven't looked this up yet, but how would I connect to the same characters across devices?

If you use an Android device, it's quite easy. When you start the game, you do a login based on your Google account (you could have more than one but only one is connected to the game with yours game characters). So you just have to create the same account on the secondary device (or the emulated device) and the game will download automatically the last saved data on the server (but only for Story mode data). Then you can try to start the Story mode selecting the party.

With Apple devices, you need others users or devs cause I don't know how that game version authenticates.

But the solution to dismiss the party characters and add them all in a new party (every char can stay in only one party at a time) will work for sure with both the systems.

Don't worry to lose your characters, when you ll have more than 6 you ll do a lot of in-out to change the party composition and swap equipment :)