The US Election 2016, Part IV

Rosbjerg

If the she devil wins, I'll renounce my American citizenship, move to England, cast for the revote on Brexit, and become a hardened warlord chieftain in Tryfan range of the Cambrian mountains!

The Cambrians are in Wales friend.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If the she devil wins, I'll renounce my American citizenship, move to England, cast for the revote on Brexit, and become a hardened warlord chieftain in Tryfan range of the Cambrian mountains!

The Cambrians are in Wales friend.

Yeah, I know.  I was thinking of England as a stopping off place first.  I've always wanted to go to Wales, but, having been as far north as Scotland and down south to the Channel, I've never gotten over to Wales.  Sorry about the confusion.

• Like 1

Oh no problem, just thought i'd inform you in case you called any Welshmen English, as our indigenous brethren are a somewhat prickly lot.

Edit: Sorry, rather derailing the thread, on with Hilary's one woman crusade to abolish the American intelligence infrastructure.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Better go tell my sysadmin buddies how elite they really are.

And if they work for NSA- whose purpose is to subvert others/ protect US communications/ internet etc- then you'd be right to since their technical security is very good, and has to be very good.

If on the other hand they work for Hillary Rodham Clinton or the DNC chances are they're grossly incompetent (but not grossly negligent) rather than elite and their security is very very bad to the extent it barely exists for the former case.

Actually Bush abrogated the ABM treaty, you don't need agreement from Senate, that's only to ratify. Although NAFTA is probably one of those fake agreements which are designed to get around treaty requirement, so it's actually implemented through legislation. Also there's plenty of money in the budget that the president can use for whatever he sees fit, Obola certainly has. There's plenty of money in the border patrol budget to build fences where necessary, Obola has been spending that money to support illegal alien children residing in the US, as I've said.

Technically, Bush withdrew from the ABM rather than outright abrogated it. Whether that has any effect on the legitimacy of a President doing it by fiat rather than via senate I have no idea, but he didn't simply tear the agreement up one day and tell the Russians to suck it. He activated the withdrawal clause, withdrew after its notice period, then told the Russians to suck it.

And if they work for NSA- whose purpose is to subvert others/ protect US communications/ internet etc- then you'd be right to since their technical security is very good, and has to be very good.

If on the other hand they work for Hillary Rodham Clinton or the DNC chances are they're grossly incompetent (but not grossly negligent) rather than elite and their security is very very bad to the extent it barely exists for the former case.

This was guffaw out loud funny to me.  Frankly, I think the Republicans and Democrats alike should be damned scared about what happened with the DNC.  Politics can't work without secrets.  That's simply true.  There must be some way to discuss these issues without others hearing.  We Republicans might enjoy the dilemma the Democrats face because of this email debacle, but the rosy feeling we get from their suffering will wilt straight away once the secrets in our party start showing up on the front page of newspapers.

I frankly think the world has changed in ways that destroy personal privacy.  That will undoubtedly be bad.  Might be good.  Probably a combination of both, but we live in a world where increasingly the only security we have in our privacy is the insignificance of our lives.  Once you become a big enough target, people will start shooting at you.  This is also the only real defense we little guys have against all manner of cyber crime.  If someone really wanted to crack my personal router, they could do it.  It's just not worth even a trivial amount of time for any of the people with resources to do it.

sy feeling we get from their suffering will wilt straight away once the secrets in our party start showing up on the front page of newspapers.

I frankly think the world has changed in ways that destroy personal privacy.  That will undoubtedly be bad.  Might be good.  Probably a combination of both, but we live in a world where increasingly the only security we have in our privacy is the insignificance of our lives.  Once you become a big enough target, people will start shooting at you.  This is also the only real defense we little guys have against all manner of cyber crime.  If someone really wanted to crack my personal router, they could do it.  It's just not worth even a trivial amount of time for any of the people with resources to do it.

You have an interesting way of constantly surprising me with some of your views, its fun 

You definitely are not predictable at the moment, your first post I ever read was where you said you would wear that dress if Trump lost and my initial impression of you was you are a hardcore Trump supporter and there is nothing wrong with that but of course on principle I would have held you to your bet but then I realized I was wrong about you and as GD said no one could hold a new member to such a bet 

But this post you made now, do you think you insignificant ? In what context do you think you insignificant and whats your view on Gun Control in the USA?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For Hastur's list:

1.  Voted in every presidential election.  Missed a couple of the other ones.

2 & 3 - The only campaigning I've done, both on the phone and on the streets, has been for parcel taxes to help schools.

4.  Never gave money, but this year I'm leaning hard towards helping the libertarian party in some way.  I would never donate to the democrats or republicans.  They are responsible for driving these campaigns into ludicrous spending sprees, why would I support them continuing that?  They don't need my middle class dollars.

I gave to Sanders monthly and I've voted consistently since 2008 and inconsistently before that back to 2000 which was my first election (that I skipped).

It's really easy to vote in Colorado though as we do it by mail so all you have to do is walk/crawl/run/worm to the mailbox

Free games updated 3/4/21

Actually Bush abrogated the ABM treaty, you don't need agreement from Senate, that's only to ratify. Although NAFTA is probably one of those fake agreements which are designed to get around treaty requirement, so it's actually implemented through legislation. Also there's plenty of money in the budget that the president can use for whatever he sees fit, Obola certainly has. There's plenty of money in the border patrol budget to build fences where necessary, Obola has been spending that money to support illegal alien children residing in the US, as I've said.

Technically, Bush withdrew from the ABM rather than outright abrogated it. Whether that has any effect on the legitimacy of a President doing it by fiat rather than via senate I have no idea, but he didn't simply tear the agreement up one day and tell the Russians to suck it. He activated the withdrawal clause, withdrew after its notice period, then told the Russians to suck it.

Not necessarily. Sysadmin doesn't necessitate development, could though. Outside of things with NSA, headlines on Snowden says... are still funny. I wonder how much money his new phone case will make though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You definitely are not predictable at the moment, your first post I ever read was where you said you would wear that dress if Trump lost and my initial impression of you was you are a hardcore Trump supporter and there is nothing wrong with that but of course on principle I would have held you to your bet but then I realized I was wrong about you and as GD said no one could hold a new member to such a bet 

But this post you made now, do you think you insignificant ? In what context do you think you insignificant and whats your view on Gun Control in the USA?
Thanks for the kind words, Bruce.  I think humans are individually important, of course.  I love my cats and, as living creatures, I believe they are important also.  See, some of us Republicans are all soft and mushy inside.  However, in terms of having long term notable significance in a broad population sense, we're not.  I think that's good. The people who want to tweet can share what they want, as much and as little of their lives, and the people who want to refrain can take solace that they're not 'important' enough for people to intrude into their privacy in a meaningful way.

Now, I have to say something about my ill advised bet, which also relates to privacy.  First of all, I made the bet.  I don't feel bad about it per se other than it was a bit childish.  I'm pretty confident that the specific of my bet probably won't happen anyway.  I doubt we go into the election with it being literally only 2% in the average of polls and if it does, I'd be so shocked if Trump doesn't win that wearing a dress and calling myself a bitch won't eve register.  It's not even the most humiliating wound I will have inflicted on myself.  ...And, hell, nothing to establish your cred like cashing out your loss after a bet.  It was mostly ill advised because I'm somewhat of a nomad and I'm afraid I won't be around.  However, November is so close, only a few months hence, I'll just make sure I keep poking my head in the door.  Frankly, no one's taken me up on the bet, so it won't matter anyway.
  • Like 1

What the DNC is apparently selling:

j8J7cjz.jpg

onlfzml8j6cx.jpg

z2INv07.jpg

like, what

are we trying to be actual literal nazis now

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Pretty far way to go, if so.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One big step for ideology...

One small step for power-hungry politicians.

[/half joking]

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

nose needs to be bigger for that

I just don't get it.  Is it supposed to be flattering and simply falling short?  Is it supposed to be insulting although it has a perfectly reasonable political quote on the back?  Are those chopsticks protruding from his neck? Edited by Hastur

nose needs to be bigger for that

I just don't get it.  Is it supposed to be flattering and simply falling short?  Is it supposed to be insulting although it has a perfectly reasonable political quote on the back?  Are those chopsticks protruding from his neck?

It's very reminiscent of Jewish caricatures from Nazi Germany-era propaganda...although aluminiumtrioxid is correct in that his nose is smaller than would be normal for such. Nevertheless...

The airbrushed 4/5 view Hillary poster is also reminiscent of nazi (specifically SS) propaganda posters too, such as those for the Nordic Legion. Normally I'd say that it's a common propaganda shot but a search for SS propaganda posters uses that particular angle extensively while the equivalent searches for US or British have almost none with the similar angle. Soviet propaganda posters on the other hand also use that angle extensively, though not as extensively.

(Specifically the Hillary one made me think of Reinhardt Heydrich who had a penchant for publicity shots that look very similar to it just with things like a swastika as a 'halo' instead of US flag style stripes. Then again, if you can say nothing else positive about nazis at least they had a great PR department that made them look cool)

One big step for ideology...

One small step for power-hungry politicians.

[/half joking]

Not sure that latter group bothers with small steps after so many years. :p

Also I like the Flyers logo there, this was obviously taken by a Penguins fan.

Edited by Malcador

For Hastur's list:

1.  Voted in every presidential election.  Missed a couple of the other ones.

2 & 3 - The only campaigning I've done, both on the phone and on the streets, has been for parcel taxes to help schools.

4.  Never gave money, but this year I'm leaning hard towards helping the libertarian party in some way.  I would never donate to the democrats or republicans.  They are responsible for driving these campaigns into ludicrous spending sprees, why would I support them continuing that?  They don't need my middle class dollars.

I'm curious Hurlshot, what's you position on Libertarians abolishing Social Security and Medicare?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm curious Hurlshot, what's you position on Libertarians abolishing Social Security and Medicare?

The Libertarian party wants you to be able to opt out of Social Security, and I think you might be surprised about what they say about healthcare:

https://www.lp.org/issues/healthcare

The goal is to move away from the insane medical costs that we currently have, which have been outpacing inflation for decades.  I'm all for that.

edit:  Most teacher's don't put money into Social Security, btw.  The reason behind that is the unions and school districts are supposed to cut a better deal with the state for a pension.  Some states are good, some are terrible when it comes to this.  

Edited by Hurlshot

What's surprising about it? Sounds like do nothing. And yeah, I'd like to opt out of Social Security. Most younger people would (not that I'm young). It's a great deal for lower incomes, terrible for higher incomes. Where does that leave people who are on it?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan