So when fighting Shadows and they daze you, even though that targets will, Defiant Resolve doesn't activate. Is it because it's an "effect" of the hit? When else doesn't Defiant Resolve come into effect, when you'd perhaps assume it would (targeting Will specifically)?

Thanks in advance.

All I know is that it didn't help my Wild Pally either so I'm thinking it must be targeting another defense. Kana pretty much won me those fights with his chants+ranged weapon. Next time I'm not going to bother with stealth boots (there are plenty of other sources of stealth) and get the ice mantle (forget it's name).

I do get a chuckle out of things trying to confuse me. I'm wearing the hermit's hat atm so they're just constantly triggering defiant for me. Another one I saw mentioned was getting a fear immunity item and then fighting things with fear aura. Always on defiant.

It does target will, actually. I think it's indeed the fact that the Shadow's Daze effect is secondary to its attack (also in terms of implementation). Poking through the code I don't see an obvious reason why it doesn't work, though clearly it doesn't. I also tried it with Gref's Authority (also a Will secondary attack) which didn't trigger Defiant Resolve either, while for example Miasma of Dull-mindedness does. 

• Like 1

Does the code for Defiant Resolve always check to see if the player is Wild Orlan before proceeding? If so perhaps the players race variable is getting wiped out after the first defense check (for dmg)? I have no idea. Just a possibility that might explain why it triggers for primary will attacks but not secondary.

It does target will, actually. I think it's indeed the fact that the Shadow's Daze effect is secondary to its attack (also in terms of implementation). Poking through the code I don't see an obvious reason why it doesn't work, though clearly it doesn't. I also tried it with Gref's Authority (also a Will secondary attack) which didn't trigger Defiant Resolve either, while for example Miasma of Dull-mindedness does. 

Thanks for being thorough, I just didn't want it to be a spottily applied racial benefit as then I really may as well have picked another race.

Does the code for Defiant Resolve always check to see if the player is Wild Orlan before proceeding? If so perhaps the players race variable is getting wiped out after the first defense check (for dmg)? I have no idea. Just a possibility that might explain why it triggers for primary will attacks but not secondary.

No, Wild Orlan's just get added that ability, the ability itself doesn't check race at any stage. You should be able to console it onto any character regardless of race, and it still work (well, for primary attacks anyway. 

I might have to look into this. I'm kinda interested now. Is this something you have to download unity to see? Or do you simply need to look through the game files (perhaps an archive that needs extraction)? Not that I can do anything about it. Just curious about the overall workflow of combat.

My second guess would be an event issue. But I have no idea what language this is in and if they are even using events. Lol. I'm no programming whiz to begin with but I suppose I should indulge such curiosities to learn more.