Starting POE - open questions

Hi there,

im new here and i want to start POE soon... i bought the game after release but didnt find the time to play it yet.

Before I start I have a couple of questions, I hope you can give me some answers :)

1. what is the most recent patch? 3.0? and where can I download it? I only found DL locations for 2.X... or do I get it automatically?

2. can you link me some recent guides which will help me to build a strong character?

3. what are the strongest classes right now?

4. can I reskill my characters?

5. Are there cheats, in case I miss an important item or have to reskill

6. Are there mods or something like that which are recommendable?

7. do you have further advice for me what I should consider as newbie before starting?

Okay, thats it so far. I hope you ll help me to get ready to play, thanks! =)

Hi there,

im new here and i want to start POE soon... i bought the game after release but didnt find the time to play it yet.

Before I start I have a couple of questions, I hope you can give me some answers :)

1. what is the most recent patch? 3.0? and where can I download it? I only found DL locations for 2.X... or do I get it automatically?

2. can you link me some recent guides which will help me to build a strong character?

3. what are the strongest classes right now?

4. can I reskill my characters?

5. Are there cheats, in case I miss an important item or have to reskill

6. Are there mods or something like that which are recommendable?

7. do you have further advice for me what I should consider as newbie before starting?

Okay, thats it so far. I hope you ll help me to get ready to play, thanks! =)

1. Yes, 3.03 is the newest.

2. Honestly the best way would be just navigating these forums, character builds(fourth) subforums especially.

3. Depends what do we mean by "strongest". I have heard plenty of statements that Paladin makes for the best tank, Cipher is still very strong despite the nerfs and generally learning how to use Priest properly makes any class look shallow in my opinion.

4. Yes, there is an option in taverns to reskill.

5. There are cheats you can put in console(~ by default), although they disable gainings of Steam achievements and are generally unnecessary as stuff like disappearing items got pached and it's virtually impossible to miss a quest item and be unable to go back for it.

6. Been looking a bit so far but not much stuff yet, mostly portait packs.

7. On no account switch below Normal difficulty at any point, storyline charms plenty of people, plenty of them complain about it in this game, but I can assure you once fights are becoming too easy game loses a lot of charm, hence you might even want to change to Hard past level 5(early game is relatively difficult compared to later one, level gaining isn't the fastest but because of that levels grant you huge powerspikes).

• Like 1

hey thanks for your quick supply.

friend of mine played cipher when they were super strong but he also told me they were nerfed.

for me it is most important that my own main character is very strong and not dependent on another character, so no glass cannon for me. i finished dragon age origins as rogue solo on nightmare and dragon age 2 as tank warrrior solo on nightmare. so i am looking for a character which is strong on its own.

i will check cipher, paladin and priest. any more recommendations?

thank you for your advice, i probably will chose a hard difficulty. is the game playable and the hardest difficulty in a way that its still fun and you dont die all the time?

All classes are pretty strong, and each class can be specced in a number of different ways. For example, a Wizard can be built to fight in the frontlines, and basically be strong enough to solo the game that way. 

If you've played other reasonably old school RPGs before then you should be fine, probably start on Hard then move up to POTD. 

2. Here are your class build guides mate: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

It's 2.0 but the overall guidelines are the same until you know the game better and can make the changes yourself. (not sure how updated it is)

The same guy does videos on Youtube, search for "Pillars of Eternity <class> build" and you want any video by Nerd Commando Game Studios will be worthwhile. Some videos are more up to date than others. He really knows what's up.

Edited by Ohmega

Somewhat confusingly, the gog standalone installers (not sure about galaxy) say 'Setup pillars of eternity 2.10.0.16' as their filename, but their POE version is 3.03

(It says (3.03) next to the filename when downloading from gog)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: