Hi guys, returning player here. I played about halfway through the original campaign, then just stopped. I wanted to come back later on when more balancing had been done. Here I am almost a year later, pumped at all the changes and two expansions of content.

Due to being my first full playthrough, I'll be using story companions exclusively.

I'm wanting to play on PoTD, as people continuously recommend that as the adequate difficulty for CRPG veterans. I'm wanting to create a 2h sword based fighter, but I'm wondering if that's even viable in PotD? Can anyone point me to / recommend a build?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by publicpwnerer

There are decent great swords for a fighter. Specifically: Tidefal, The Hours of St. Rumbalt and situationally St. Ydwen's Redeemer.

Also there is Blade of the Endless Paths which might result in slightly higher dps, if you are ok with something that looks almost like a great sword, but is not one.  

A similar topic has been discussed recently here.

• Like 1

There are decent great swords for a fighter. Specifically: Tidefal, The Hours of St. Rumbalt and situationally St. Ydwen's Redeemer.

Also there is Blade of the Endless Paths which might result in slightly higher dps, if you are ok with something that looks almost like a great sword, but is not one.  

A similar topic has been discussed recently here.

Thanks for the reply. The only suggestions there are for a Rogue, or dual-wielding Fighter builds that require very specific pieces to proc certain affects. I don't doubt the efficacy of those builds....but it's not overly practical having to play a third, or even half the game before the build is potentially "viable".

I don't know any of the named items, considering this will be my first real playthrough. Most of the builds are rpower-gaming builds that require various specific items that are undoubtedly gotten from choosing very specific dialogue options etc.

Yes, almost all the builds here assume that you already know the game inside out, especially the ones with spell holding item combos, like the ever popular Sanguine Plate and Shod-in-Faith combined with Resolve dumping for min/maxing. 

I'd honestly recommend Hard difficulty for a cprg veteran's first playthrough. PotD often assumes that you already have knowledge about the enemies, their attacks and weaknesses, the strategies to beat them, tactics that you learn as you play the game. It's possible for a first playthrough, but depending on how quick you get used to PoE's system, you might be yelling "unfair" and reloading a lot.

As for the actual topic... yes. A lot of builds are viable for PotD. People slightly prefer estocs over greatswords, but there are excellent greatswords in the game, and available much earlier than the good estoc. Greatswords are probably the second best 2h weapons when it comes to straight dps, but they're the most flexible ones - when it comes to their damage types and effects. The good ones, as already mentioned, are Tidefall, a superb quality (requires level 12 to enchant yourself) weapon with draining (heals you for 20% of the damage you do) and wounding (dot on enemy) that can be obtained at level ~5. This is one of the best weapons in the game, with superior enchant, found super early. Great for frontliners because of the heal. It's almost like Carsomyr. The Hours of St. Rumbalt can be bought about as early as you can get Tidefall, and it can knock enemies prone when you crit them. When prone, enemeis are knocked on their backs and can't do anything. This is fairly good cc. And St. Ydwen's Redeemer makes you one-shot Vessels, one of the enemy types in the game and quite a bothersome one.

Basically, there are good enough greatswords in the game to make a build out of. And fighter is good enough of a frontliner, even on PotD. If you're set on fighter (barbarian is quite interesting with carnage), you'll probably end up being some offtank dps hybrid.

Yes, almost all the builds here assume that you already know the game inside out, especially the ones with spell holding item combos, like the ever popular Sanguine Plate and Shod-in-Faith combined with Resolve dumping for min/maxing. 

I'd honestly recommend Hard difficulty for a cprg veteran's first playthrough. PotD often assumes that you already have knowledge about the enemies, their attacks and weaknesses, the strategies to beat them, tactics that you learn as you play the game. It's possible for a first playthrough, but depending on how quick you get used to PoE's system, you might be yelling "unfair" and reloading a lot.

As for the actual topic... yes. A lot of builds are viable for PotD. People slightly prefer estocs over greatswords, but there are excellent greatswords in the game, and available much earlier than the good estoc. Greatswords are probably the second best 2h weapons when it comes to straight dps, but they're the most flexible ones - when it comes to their damage types and effects. The good ones, as already mentioned, are Tidefall, a superb quality (requires level 12 to enchant yourself) weapon with draining (heals you for 20% of the damage you do) and wounding (dot on enemy) that can be obtained at level ~5. This is one of the best weapons in the game, with superior enchant, found super early. Great for frontliners because of the heal. It's almost like Carsomyr. The Hours of St. Rumbalt can be bought about as early as you can get Tidefall, and it can knock enemies prone when you crit them. When prone, enemeis are knocked on their backs and can't do anything. This is fairly good cc. And St. Ydwen's Redeemer makes you one-shot Vessels, one of the enemy types in the game and quite a bothersome one.

Basically, there are good enough greatswords in the game to make a build out of. And fighter is good enough of a frontliner, even on PotD. If you're set on fighter (barbarian is quite interesting with carnage), you'll probably end up being some offtank dps hybrid.

Thank you so much for the info, I also really appreciate the explanations. 

Its currently midnight here, and I'm sitting at character creation trying to piece this together. I'm trying to leverage the various attributes. I know that Intel can be dumped, but it hurts how it makes the starting abilities less useful (disciplined barrage feels useless with a slow swing 2h build). I'm also unsure of how to balance dexterity and armor type. Given the melee nature of the build, it's assumed I will inevitably take significant damage. It's also assumed that 2h weapons are naturally slowww. Should I prioritise dexterity, to allow me to wear heavier armour, or should I leave dex flat, and go with low DR / no armour?

All I really want is to be accurate...and do lots of damage, without resorting to a 3 con character. I'm not an overly meta-gamer, but I do value viability. I'm just wondering and hoping that I don't end up with a character that takes 6-7 seconds to do a 20dmg attack, where a ranged DPS would excel...without being as vulnerable up close.

EDIT 1: I'm contenmplating 19Might, 8 Con, 18 Dex, 19 Per, 4 Int, 10 Resolve - Maybe moon godlike, to compensate for for the frontline nature? 

I have no idea about talents or the ordering of them.

Edited by publicpwnerer
  • Like 1

You may look badass with a great sword but in the end you can do the same damage with a sabre while swinging faster and being also a tank... You don't see many 2h weapons builds because they are mostly situational - used for their unique enchantments or because they can have longer range...

• Like 1

You may look badass with a great sword but in the end you can do the same damage with a sabre while swinging faster and being also a tank... You don't see many 2h weapons builds because they are mostly situational - used for their unique enchantments or because they can have longer range...

Well, this is heartbreaking. My Aragorn / Jon Snow inspired character is now dead in the water.

Well, this is heartbreaking. My Aragorn / Jon Snow inspired character is now dead in the water.

Why? Just because a particular weapon isn't necessarily the most optimized choice doesn't mean it isn't viable. If you want to play a two-handed sword, by all means do so. I'm no expert on PotD (assuming you're starting there; like Clerith says, I'd start with Hard anyway), but as far as I can tell it's not like your character is going to be useless when playing PotD unless you optimize every last stat and metric. Especially if, as I would expect, you're playing with a full party (or not soloing, at any rate). 

Also keep in mind that the Sabre isn't faster in itself, counterintuitively average and slow melee weapons have the same base speed and recovery. It's just that you can dual-wield Sabres and therefore get more hits in, but that assumes you want a dual-wielding character. Also, Sabres do marginally less damage and are Slashing; personally I do tend to prefer the flexibility of weapons capable of two damage types, like the two-handed sword. 

Anyway, like I said: my advice would be to start with the type of character you want to play as (eg. a Jon Snow-like beardy two-handed sword wielder with 0 lore), and make that work; the range of viable builds in PoE is very wide, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to. 

• Like 1

Great swords are fine. They do two types of damage which is very handy on PotD. You will find nice unique great swords (one that wounds the enemy and heals you with every strike, two that can knock over enemies when you land a critical hit, one that destroys vessels aka undead, one that does additional crush damage - that one you'll get early and so on). It's one of the weapon groups with the most uniques.

Then there are estocs which look like more tapered great swords, but do only cause pierce damage. But they have inherent DR bypass and are good against heavy armored foes.

A fighter with a great sword and thick armor can be tanky and deal good damage at the same time. He has the right abilities for it. He will not have to switch weapons a lot when he meets immune-to-that-damage-type enemies because his weapon has two damage types. I wouldn't choose a great sword when I want to do the absolute minmax build, but they are totally OK with a fighter - also on PoTD.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Why? Just because a particular weapon isn't necessarily the most optimized choice doesn't mean it isn't viable. If you want to play a two-handed sword, by all means do so. I'm no expert on PotD (assuming you're starting there; like Clerith says, I'd start with Hard anyway), but as far as I can tell it's not like your character is going to be useless when playing PotD unless you optimize every last stat and metric. Especially if, as I would expect, you're playing with a full party (or not soloing, at any rate). 

Also keep in mind that the Sabre isn't faster in itself, counterintuitively average and slow melee weapons have the same base speed and recovery. It's just that you can dual-wield Sabres and therefore get more hits in, but that assumes you want a dual-wielding character. Also, Sabres do marginally less damage and are Slashing; personally I do tend to prefer the flexibility of weapons capable of two damage types, like the two-handed sword. 

Anyway, like I said: my advice would be to start with the type of character you want to play as (eg. a Jon Snow-like beardy two-handed sword wielder with 0 lore), and make that work; the range of viable builds in PoE is very wide, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to. 

Great swords are fine. They do two types of damage which is very handy on PotD. You will find nice unique great swords (one that wounds the enemy and heals you with every strike, two that can knock over enemies when you land a critical hit, one that destroys vessels aka undead, one that does additional crush damage - that one you'll get early and so on). It's one of the weapon groups with the most uniques.

Then there are estocs which look like more tapered great swords, but do only cause pierce damage. But they have inherent DR bypass and are good against heavy armored foes.

A fighter with a great sword and thick armor can be tanky and deal good damage at the same time. He has the right abilities for it. He will not have to switch weapons a lot when he meets immune-to-that-damage-type enemies because his weapon has two damage types. I wouldn't choose a great sword when I want to do the absolute minmax build, but they are totally OK with a fighter - also on PoTD.

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

Are there any go-to guides for a 2H Fighter? The stickied post doesn't have any unfortunately.

Are there any go-to guides for a 2H Fighter? The stickied post doesn't have any unfortunately.

Whoa, talk about moral defeat...!

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I like Tidefall.

Used it even on solo Pally for a lot of encounters, but it was more of a fun thing to do not the ncessarily best.

But that's the good thing about PoE for new players you don't need the very best to get through, RPs are very viable.

Wouldn't a (melee) ranger be more suitable for a Jon Snow character by the way? Wolf companion obviously, 2H sword, maybe scale armour (no helmets) and some sort of cloak? Meadow Folk, The White That Wends, maybe dissident or hunter background. Skills in stealth / survival / athletics I'd say; thematically, mechanics probably doesn't fit too well, and lore is of course definitely a no go. 

I posted a two weapon Fighter build here that worked well on PotD playing solo, I just haven't done a formal write up for it as I hadn't killed anything big (one of the dragons, etc.).

For how to change the build from two weapon fighting to two handed weapon, I would move points out of Perception and into Dexterity so you hit faster seeing as you only have the one weapon (leaving Per at the base 10 mark). Make all the "Peasant" talents and abilities into "Soldier" so the benefits now apply to Greatswords, and you could also change Savage Attack to Superior Deflection to keep your Deflection above 100 end game (though I'm talking about "end game" here, if you follow the build you will be hitting consistently high Deflection throughout the game as a result) - plus this means your accuracy doesn't take as much of a hit, it'd be just a three points shy of mine (which is nothing, in practical terms).

Depending on party composition, Fearless is likely a lot less use to you with a Priest/Paladin as it was to me on solo, so feel free to change it. Also the build has a natural defensive and healing-orientated slant (while maintaining modest DPS), but again if you have buffing and healing party members to make up for it then maybe you don't need to be so defensive so can take more offensive talents and abilities (though I would say this guy as is would be a very solid damage dealing tank - which can be of even more use to some parties).

For weapon choice (as others have said), The Hours of St. Rumbalt can be bought in Act 1 from Dyrford Village (it's expensive, but so long as you keep your other party members' gear pretty naff you should be able to afford it, I've just bought Tall Grass from there solo in Act 1 which is even more expensive so it can be done) - just keep going east on the map after Caed Nua and don't pick any fights with mean-looking druids. In late Act 2 (or whenever you're strong enough) you can pick up Tidefall - this may even be better than the hatchets my own build was running as healing plus wounding is pretty sick. You can't really beat Tidefall two-handed, so from there on you're set.

The one thing I would mention is Confident Aim is currently bugged and does a chunk more damage than it should do currently. My advice would be avoid it for the time being and respec in 3.04 when they should fix the problem - or you know just take it now and be an OP killing machine. Seeing as I played pretty much this build solo on PotD (two hatchets are going to have a pretty similar damage output to one great sword) into WM I and practically into Act 3 (I hadn't done Cliaban Rilag yet, but as it is on the critical path I could have breezed through that place no problem) I can guarantee it works and is good. I would still be playing it now, if not for the bug and me not wanting to respec - so I'll have to be good and wait.

Edited by Jojobobo

I posted a two weapon Fighter build here that worked well on PotD playing solo, I just haven't done a formal write up for it as I hadn't killed anything big (one of the dragons, etc.).

For how to change the build from two weapon fighting to two handed weapon, I would move points out of Perception and into Dexterity so you hit faster seeing as you only have the one weapon (leaving Per at the base 10 mark). Make all the "Peasant" talents and abilities into "Soldier" so the benefits now apply to Greatswords, and you could also change Savage Attack to Superior Deflection to keep your Deflection above 100 end game (though I'm talking about "end game" here, if you follow the build you will be hitting consistently high Deflection throughout the game as a result) - plus this means your accuracy doesn't take as much of a hit, it'd be just a three points shy of mine (which is nothing, in practical terms).

Depending on party composition, Fearless is likely a lot less use to you with a Priest/Paladin as it was to me on solo, so feel free to change it. Also the build has a natural defensive and healing-orientated slant (while maintaining modest DPS), but again if you have buffing and healing party members to make up for it then maybe you don't need to be so defensive so can take more offensive talents and abilities (though I would say this guy as is would be a very solid damage dealing tank - which can be of even more use to some parties).

For weapon choice (as others have said), The Hours of St. Rumbalt can be bought in Act 1 from Dyrford Village (it's expensive, but so long as you keep your other party members' gear pretty naff you should be able to afford it, I've just bought Tall Grass from there solo in Act 1 which is even more expensive so it can be done) - just keep going east on the map after Caed Nua and don't pick any fights with mean-looking druids. In late Act 2 (or whenever you're strong enough) you can pick up Tidefall - this may even be better than the hatchets my own build was running as healing plus wounding is pretty sick. You can't really beat Tidefall two-handed, so from there on you're set.

The one thing I would mention is Confident Aim is currently bugged and does a chunk more damage than it should do currently. My advice would be avoid it for the time being and respec in 3.04 when they should fix the problem - or you know just take it now and be an OP killing machine. Seeing as I played pretty much this build solo on PotD (two hatchets are going to have a pretty similar damage output to one great sword) into WM I and practically into Act 3 (I hadn't done Cliaban Rilag yet, but as it is on the critical path I could have breezed through that place no problem) I can guarantee it works and is good. I would still be playing it now, if not for the bug and me not wanting to respec - so I'll have to be good and wait.

You're wonderful, thank you.

I've been playing around with character creation. Please correct any flaws...as I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I've always struggled with builds and conceptualisation in RPG's, I usually find guides from more adept players.

Stats: 18MIGH, 8 CON, 18 DEX,18 PER, 6 INT, 10 RES

Talents>

1 - Disciplined Barrage

2 - (Weapon Focus / Two-Handed style)

3 - Confident Aim 

4 - (Weapon Focus / Two Handed style)

5 - Weapon Specialisation

6 - Apprentice's Sneak Attack

I have no idea where to go from there. I wanted to play a Human, but I think that's perhaps too greedy, given the need for survivability that the moon Godlike provides.

Edited by publicpwnerer

If you're looking to minmax int, the thing is, you either get a lot of it to make your durations last long, or you minimize it and avoid abilities with durations, if possible. If you're going 6 int, might as well reduce it some more and put points into con for survivability.

Human is fine, Moon Godlike was amazing in vanilla, but the White March expansions have given us some amazing helms - like +4 might - that made having a helmet slot very valuable.

For a first run, or any run for that matter, I would not dump stats below 10, especially on PotD. The vulnerability outweighs whatever small advantage you think you are getting.

Two handed swords can be great with Paladins, Barbarians, Fighters, Rogues, Rangers and Monks. Don't feel constrained to being a Fighter if you want to frontline melee. Most are based around using Tidefall, one of the best weapons in the game.

Here are a few quick archetypes:

1.) Paladin - wielding Tidefall, using arquebus for Flames of Devotion alpha strike, uses the summoned flame sword.

2.) Barbarian - wielding Tidefall wades into battle with Carnage damaging everything while healing yourself. Can swap to a pike like tall grass when you need to stay out of the fray. With Blood Thirst you will have zero recovery after every kill.

3.) Fighter - quite tanky with the defensive buffs. I find these rather boring though.

4.) Rogues - Go with St Rumbaldt for the prone on crit. Most people you hit will go prone and then you hit them harder with deathblows.

5.) Rangers - With Tidefall you apply a DoT to your target, your pet gets a +50% damage against targets with DoTs, both of you get large bonuses to attacking the same target, you even get to stun with every hit against the same target. A really strong and unique approach.

6.) Monks - with Tidefall you have Force of Anguish for a ten+ second prone at the cost of two wounds, take turning wheel for another +5% burn lash per wound. All in for lashes you'll have +25% DoT (Tidefall), +25% weapon enchant, +25% Lightning Strikes, +50% Turning Wheel and +25% from your Chanter buddy.

PoE allows for a great deal of flexibility in builds.

• Like 1

You're wonderful, thank you.

I've been playing around with character creation. Please correct any flaws...as I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I've always struggled with builds and conceptualisation in RPG's, I usually find guides from more adept players.

Stats: 18MIGH, 8 CON, 18 DEX,18 PER, 6 INT, 10 RES

Talents>

1 - Disciplined Barrage

2 - (Weapon Focus / Two-Handed style)

3 - Confident Aim 

4 - (Weapon Focus / Two Handed style)

5 - Weapon Specialisation

6 - Apprentice's Sneak Attack

I have no idea where to go from there. I wanted to play a Human, but I think that's perhaps too greedy, given the need for survivability that the moon Godlike provides.

Fighters have quite a number of duration abilities like Constant Recovery, Discplined Barrage, Triggered Immunity etc. Low int will lead to lower durations on these skills, and also the CC durations of skills like Knockdowns.

On the other hand, you don't necessary need to go max Might to be an effective offensive character. Focusing on the Fighter, the Might bonus is additive and not multiplicative. So Might bonus will add on to other bonus like Weapon Damage especially for physical attacks. You can potentially shift points from Might into other stats and still maintain a decent physical offensive. But Might will help with Constant Recovery's heal amount and spell based attacks in general. So it is up to your inclinations I guess.

A trick with Disciplined Barrage is to activate it before using other skills like Knockdown. That 20acc will help a lot in landing the CC effects. If you don't mind weapon swapping, you can use wield 2 weapons on your alternate weapon set to increase your chances of a prone effect when you use Knockdown. Another great thing about Discipline Barrage is that it has no recovery so you can use it as an opener skill.

Edited by mosspit

There is a approach for a party fighter with great swords which makes him very sturdy and also do great damage: high MIG and INT, Rapid Recovery, Cloak of the Tireless Defender + any regeneration item like He Carries Many Scars plate armor. Then use an item which buffs the healing that you receive (Belt of Bountiful Healing or Fulvano's Amulet or Maneha's Armor - +25% healing received each), optimal would be to also get St. Borragia's Tears from a minor stronghold quest (+15% healing done) and get survival to 14 (you only need to have 14 when you camp, you can use items with a survival bonus for that - so having 12 survival is enough) in order to get +60% healing. You self healing will be so good that you won't go down easily even when you receive a lot of hits on the head all the time while swinging your sword. In very tough encounters, whenever a priest or druid drops healing spells on you you will get so much healing even from the weak spells that you will survive. Then later grab Tidefall a some point and your healing via draining (that Great Sword turns 20% of the damage you cause into healing) will make you even more sturdy. It's a low micro, fun to play approach that works on every difficulty setting with a party. When you suffer from low health then consider taking Wound Binding - it will restore your health completely (and not just 40%) once per rest because of all your healing buffs. Or sip potions of Infuse with Vital Essence now and then. Those also work with your buffs and will restore over 200 health.
Have a look at old "The Engineer" build in this forums and combine his healing capabilities (plus survival) with the skills and style of the "Lady of Pain" which you can find here as well (look into the build index, they are both in there). It will be a great build for PoTD.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods