Ideas for the story of PoE 2 or The return of Eothas and other stories

I replayed PoE with White March over the course of the last week and now I got a few ideas, how the story could continue. I organised my thoughts in a few topics.

1: What do we know since the end of PoE 1?

The gods are manmade, petty and it is possible to kill them. They can have bodies, but also reincarnate (see Abydon) and Eothas candles never went out. So there is a possibility that the god of light will be back, which could be the mainfocus of PoE 2.

2: Why is that?

Since Waidens legacy was the biggest subplot in PoE, it would be one of many reasons that this story will be the focus of the main game. And if I understood it right, gods have also souls, so maybe parts of Eothas' survived. They could have wandered around, until they were reborn in kith bodies or they still fly through the ether and are drawn to Readceras, because the people there still wait for the return of their god. Readceras ist a different setting than Dyrwood. Where the dyrwoodians were stubborn and freedomloving, the readcerasians are obedient and are more concerned about their place in society, than their rights as an individual. They are also slaveholders, which also could be an interesting aspect of their society, where structure is everything. They want their lord and savior back and  I don't think that the Aedyran empire forgott about it's old colony.  

So the story could be about order and the consequences for a culture, that has build their nation around the ideas of one person.

3. How does the player fit into the game?

If we play the Watcher from PoE 1 I could imagine that they would try to investigate Eothas rise to power, so they may learn more about the gods and how to kill them. I can't imagine that the other gods would leave us alone after everything we found out in PoE and White March. Maybe we could also try to resurrect Eothas to gain a powerful ally who would try to get his revenge, after the treason of Magran. Maybe we meet some prophets who have splinters of Eothas soul in them and claim to be the real deal, so we have to choose which one is the best/not the worst candidate for the new god of light.

Or we actually ARE one of those prophets and we could become the new Eothas. 

That's just the first raw thoughts. 

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 1

I replayed PoE with White March over the course of the last week and now I got a few ideas, how the story could continue. I organised my thoughts in a few topics.

1: What do we know since the end of PoE 1?

The gods are manmade, petty and it is possible to kill them. They can have bodies, but also reincarnated (see Abydon) and Eothas candles never went out. So there is a possibility that the god of light will be back, which could be the mainfocus of PoE 2.

2: Why is that?

Since Waidens legacy was the biggest subplot in PoE, it would be one of many reasons that this story will be the focus of the main game. And I understood it right, gods have also souls, so maybe parts of Eothas' survived. They could have wandered around, until they were reborn in kith bodies or they still fly through the ether and are drawn to Readceras, because the people there still wait for the return of their god. Readceras ist a different setting than Dyrwood. Where the dyrwoodians were stubborn and freedomloving, the readcerasians are obedient and are more concerned about their place in society, than their rights as an individual. They are also slaveholders, which also could be an interesting aspect of their society, where structure is everything. They want their lord and savior back and  I don't think that the Aedyran empire forgott about it's old colony.  

So the story could be about order and the consequences for a culture, that has build their nation around the ideas of one person.

3. How does the player fit into the game?

If we play the Watcher from PoE 1, i could imagine, that they would try to investigate Eothas rise to power, so they may learn more about the gods and how to kill them. I can't imagine, that the other gods would leave us alone, after everything we found out in PoE and White March. Maybe we could also try to resurrect Eothas, to gain a powerful ally, who would try to get his revenge, after the treason of Magran. Maybe we meet some prophets, who have splinters of Eothas soul in them and claim to be the real deal, so we have to choose which one is the best/not the worst candidate for the new god of light.

Or we actually ARE one of those prophets and we could become the new Eothas. 

That's just the first raw thoughts. 

Given all events I'd bet that Ondra will attempt to erase main characters memories. Since character is a watcher and awakened, again something will go wrong and she will loose her memories as well(hell let's make every god loose their memories). Then all gods being lost will start wandering in Eora trying to establish who they are and what is their purpose. Their influence would diminish and that alone could be a very nice setup to start another story :)

• Like 1

After reading Mr Avellone's novella i'm very interested in what Wael will do about this greatest of secrets, and there are allsuions/hints to it in the narrative, though Wael's actions are probably so hidden as to be unrecognisable to any apart from the insane. Speaking of mental illness i'd also like to see what effect Durance will have on the world, one can imagine him becoming (once again the novella hints at this) an Arch Heretic, or perhaps even the guiding spark of a new religion or movement.

If the canon has the chap surviving of course, the novella is also like Wael not a trustworthy source.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hmm, not bad at all. Put Skaen into the mix and you could create a game around the themes "secrets and intrigue" with Ondra, Skaen and Wael fighting for secrets. Ondra wants to keep them, Wael wants to spread them just for fun and Skaen wants to use them for his nefarious schemes (for example getting rid of Woedica and then getting his Revenge on, well, every one. New God of Revenge and all that).

I like that. 

I reread some suggestions and wrote down a few further thoughts.

What is the setting?

The Vailian Republics, one of the big City State

What's the story about?

Discovering some secrets about the gods, which could be possible in a society full of rich people and intrigues as Vailia. Maybe some rich collector got his fingers on an ancient engwithan scroll, which describes the creation of an all-powerful soul ( a god)? Or we dive further in the schemes of Leaden Key, while the remaining members of the organisation try to kill each other off. And while we fight for our lives, Ondra, Wael and Skaen try their best, to achieve their own goals.

What are the biggest stakes?

Ondra drowning the city at the end of the game. We know, that she isn't afraid of making her hands dirty and it is fair to say, that she will kill every inhabitant of the city, if it means to keep her dirty secret. Stopping this should be epic and satisfying enough.

What are the big themes of the story?

Secrets. How do keep them, to spread them and use them to your advantage. And truths and lies. At first, you could consider Wael as an ally, but he likes to spread halfrumors and lies, so can we really believe what the god says? Could it be worth a thought to help Skaen, since he is the god of rebellion after all? And will there be any chance of survival, if Ondra finds out what you took away from her?

Could you meet old companions?

After reading House of Wael ( thank you, Nonek) we could meet Durance or another Durance. And if we consider Aloth splitting from the Leaden Key canon, I could imagine him being back in the group. If he wants to fight the Leaden Key, he could start in the Republics. Given a few years, we also had an explanation why he lost all the cool stuff, you gave him in PoE 1.

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 1

I reread some suggestion and wrote down a few further thoughts.

What is the setting?

The Vailian Republics, one of the big City State

What's the story about?

Discovering some secrets about the gods, which could be possible in society full of rich people and intrigues as Vailia. Maybe some rich collector got his fingers on a powerful artefact or an ancient engwithan scroll, which describes the creation of an all-powerful soul ( a god)? Or we dive further in the schemes of Leaden Key, while the remaining mmembers of the organisation try to kill each other off. And while we fight for our lives, Ondra, Wael and Skaen are trying their best, to achieve their own goals.

What are the biggest stakes?

Ondra drowning the city at the end of the game. We know, that she isn't afraid of making her hands dirty and it is fair to say, that she will kill every inhabitant of the city, if it means to keep her dirty secret. Stopping this, should be epic and satisfying enough.

What are the big themes of the story?

Secrets. How do keep them, to spread them and use them to your advantage. And truths and lies. At first, you could consider Wael as an ally, but he likes to spread halfrumors and lies, so can we really believe, what the god says? Could it be worth a thought to help Skaen, since he is the god of rebellion after all? And will there be any chance of survival, if Ondra finds out, what you took away from her.

Could you meet old companions?

After reading House of Wael ( thank you, Nonek) we could meet Durance or another Durance. And if we consider Aloth splitting from the Leaden Key canon, I could imagine him being back in the group. If he wants to fight the Leaden Key, he could start in the Republics. Given a few years, we also had an explanation why he lost all the cool stuff, you gave him in PoE 1.

Cool idea. I have no possibility to read Avellone's novella but what with Eothas stuff? Are there some clues? What do you think about it in Vailian light?

My idea is, as he is called now Shattered God, we could find some pieces of him. Maybe our character could have some soul fragment (Watcher please) and it would involve White Flame (secret Eothasian animancy organisation) somehow. I feel Ondra have her hand in Saint's War after WM expansion.

Can you spoil stuff with Durance in House of Wael?

I think that Pallegina could return too.

Edited by White Phoenix

I actually had a similar idea postet at the beginning of the thread, but yours is good too! It would give the player an easier oppurtunity for involvement and wouldn't even be as far-fetched.  And the White Flame would be an good additioon, for an even more complex plot. Good job!

The only problem I see is, that Eothas would be wasted everywhere, besides Readceras, because this is the nation where he is praised the most and its concepts about order over everything else is the best fit for him, compared to the more intrigue-driven Republics.

There isn't much about Durance in House of Wael. He is mentioned once and he seems to have become something of a inspiration for heretics. There may be even more than one Durance now, if the novel is considered canon. That's all there is to Durance.

Pallegina would be awesome. And it could fit, since even her ending with the Kind Wayfarers is open enough for a return.

• Like 1