What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

I was'nt around the BIS boards at all, I was at NMA and the Codex before I ended up here, shortly after Alpha Protocol was released. Been discussing games across many different fora since around 99.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Seriously a baby lizard bolted across the wall in the hall next to the kitchen as I went past. Thought it was a super speedy centipede at first, but I broke out my trusty Heider BBX Super Power flashlight Walsingham made me buy, searched and searched, found the little guy clinging to the paper shredder. Definitely lizard. Disappeared immediately. 

This is a good story, I like the way you think  :thumbsup:

Just realized I joined this board 11 years (+2 days) ago.

If we also count the old Black Isles boards, how long have you guys been discussing games?

Grats and since I  became active in 2012 its probably fair to say you have found these forums even more fulfilling and meaningful right ?

:teehee:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Seriously a baby lizard bolted across the wall in the hall next to the kitchen as I went past. Thought it was a super speedy centipede at first, but I broke out my trusty Heider BBX Super Power flashlight Walsingham made me buy, searched and searched, found the little guy clinging to the paper shredder. Definitely lizard. Disappeared immediately.

This is a good story, I like the way you think  :thumbsup:

Just realized I joined this board 11 years (+2 days) ago.

If we also count the old Black Isles boards, how long have you guys been discussing games?

Grats and since I  became active in 2012 its probably fair to say you have found these forums even more fulfilling and meaningful right ?

:teehee:

dog-stare-o.gif
  • Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Got an MRI. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic, just fidgety. My body still feels stiff.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i was reading an article about bullying earlier and i was thinking that the 11th commandment is the way to go in most cases. Don't do to others what you don't want others to do to you... and if you do something bad to someone, you should be punished by having the same thing done to you.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

My commute on Friday has all the characteristics of a great American novel. It begins with a sense of anticipation and excitement, followed by tragedy and loss, acceptance and reflective thought, a sudden twist or two, then a rising story arc before the exhaustive conclusion.

• Like 1

I was working from home today. It started out ok but I took a break and played Stellaris for just a few minutes. Next thing you know it was dark outside.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Arrived in Australia. First thing I did after checking in (a serviced apartment), was to find my toothbrush and a convenience store where I could buy toothpaste and instant coffee. My teeth were growing hair as a result of not seeing a toothbrush since Thursday morning and my breath could probably work as shark repellant. Not going to sleep yet (even though I haven't slept a single hour since Wednesday night) as I want to swat two flies in one go and get jet lag over with at the same time... even if 48+ hours with no sleep makes me see things that aren't there :D

Landing in Brisbane taught me one thing... Young people are very sensitive in a funny way. It had been a nice flight until we got below around 5000 feet (no meter display on the inflight status thingie, only feet) and then it got a slightly turbulent. Nothing at all that rattles a regular flier to and from Wellington (NZ) mind you, so I just thought it  a hilarious roller coaster ride. All the jumping up and down meant that the pilot overshot the runway a bit (quite visible from the inside), so instead of braking he put the throttle on full and went for another pass at trying to hit the elusive runway. That's when I noticed the retching noises and people everywhere grasping for the paper barf bags. Seriously, never seen that much vomiting on a single plane before. It was a big plane of course, but seriously guys... you can't pay people to arrange that much entertainment for you and then not appreciate it :(

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not sure if that has much to do with youth.  In my 20's I could handle all sorts of crazy roller coasters and had some pretty turbulent flights.  Now, close to my 40's, I am close to retching if I turn around too quickly.

I think its more scary on a plane where you have a chance of dying in spectacular explodey fashion. I have a love/hate with rollercoasters. Im afraid of (medium) heights so Im most terrified while slowly climbing up the first big dropoff and I have time to look over the side. While Im zooming down/around/looping Im totally having a good time.

you should try the slingshot if you haven't. i've seen many funny compilations of people passing out on it

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I've been playing Stellaris since I rolled out of bed this morning. I think it's safe to say I'm addicted. But it's just that good. The level of detail is better than any 4X game I've ever played.

I'm kicking myself now for not buying the Nova edition and getting the exclusive Spider race. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

never had one and i really hope i will never have to

-Teknoman2-

Got an MRI. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic, just fidgety. My body still feels stiff.

Have Open ones, but I think those are rare.

Was amused that a coworker and I figured out a problem in 2 days after about 4-5 of our UK colleagues spent 5 months on it. Not sure what the hell caused them to not see what we saw, to be honest but am reluctant to say they're all stupid as opposed to being hamstrung by managers.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hmmm the former sounds like it requires my attention. The latter... not so much

Thomas Sowell

our nose always itches when we get an mri.  even worse, Gromnir is a bit broad (understatement) through the chest and shoulders.  almost an hour immobile with an itchy nose and a hairsbreadth o' space 'tween us and the freaking halo.  am not a fan o' mri, so you got our sympathy.

today we spent most of the day not making pot roast.  

*sigh*

we don't have beef stock on hand and am too much o' a snob to use box or jar stuff.  so we did 'bout a dozen different things other than making pot roast.  making pot roast is always a two-day process for Gromnir. gelatinized (is "gelatinized" a word or did we invent it?) connective tissue should be allowed time to reabsorb into meat, which means we need overnight cooling in fridge... and we need space in fridge for a large dutch oven. anywho, we didn't make space in fridge, or whip up stock or anything pot roast related.

we did walk the dogs.  saw a couple immature rattlesnakes.  october seems a bit late for rattlesnake births as we were under the impression such birthings were a july-august kinda thing.  we panicked a bit as we attempted to keep the dogs from getting their snoots bit. no injuries... in case you were concerned.

cleaned off our desk too as we were struggling to find things to do other than make pot roast.  a bit later we may rearrange our dvd collection. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thought about it long and hard and came to a major decision today

If I had the choice of living in either the Star Trek universe or the Star Wars universe which one would I choose?

Trek. 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Thought about it long and hard and came to a major decision today

If I had the choice of living in either the Star Trek universe or the Star Wars universe which one would I choose?

Trek. 

shady is asking to get messed up by an evil genie.  star wars universe is our universe, no?  is "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," but is same universe, yes?  and star trek in 2016 is a few years before impending ww3, no? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)