What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

Handloaded some ammo, 7.92x57mm Mauser. Handloading effectively make shooting 65% -85% cheaper for me, depending on the caliber. 

As a nice bonus I also get considerably more accuracy out of it compared to commercial ammo. Handloading is awesome.  :)

I want to get me a license and a nice 9.3x62 Mauser, but I need to save up alot of money for that to happen.

Out of curiosity I checked how much it would cost to buy a box of 20 8x57 here, going by average price and not quality; 680SEK, or roughly 70€. So 65% less makes for one hell of a saving. :)

Whoa holy hell, I thought ammo prices around here were bad but thats a whole 'nother level! Why is ammunition so expensive ''over there''?  :blink:

Are you sure you didn't get your hands on the most super-premium platinum-gold magical fairy dust hunting ammo? 

Around here premium quality medium caliber rifle ammo (match or hunting) costs about € 2-3 per round, training ammunition is a little bit over € 1 per cartridge. With handloading I can half the costs even with the most expensive components and can go much lower with standard components.  With € 2 / round I'd be burning 100 bucks per week (50 rounds / session) which would definitely make me reconsider my hobby.

I get my components from Germany, if you can import them from there (minus the powder and primers of course, which you'd have to by locally because explosives) you can save a TON of money! Check your local laws but I'm very sure projectiles and brass are not regulated by any laws. 

Also why a 9.3x62? Its a fine cartridge for sure but really suited for hunting large game. 8x57, 7.26x51 etc. are more suited for range sessions, components are more readily available, there is much better and less expensive match bullets available for them, they burn less powder and have more than enough power for reaching out 800 meters or more and hunting the largest local game. 

If 9.3x62 is what your heart desires go for it but its definitely not an ideal option for a starting gun by any means. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Handloaded some ammo, 7.92x57mm Mauser. Handloading effectively make shooting 65% -85% cheaper for me, depending on the caliber. 

As a nice bonus I also get considerably more accuracy out of it compared to commercial ammo. Handloading is awesome.  :)

I want to get me a license and a nice 9.3x62 Mauser, but I need to save up alot of money for that to happen.

Out of curiosity I checked how much it would cost to buy a box of 20 8x57 here, going by average price and not quality; 680SEK, or roughly 70€. So 65% less makes for one hell of a saving. :)

Whoa holy hell, I thought ammo prices around here were bad but thats a whole 'nother level! Why is ammunition so expensive ''over there''?  :blink:

Are you sure you didn't get your hands on the most super-premium platinum-gold magical fairy dust hunting ammo? 

Around here premium quality medium caliber rifle ammo (match or hunting) costs about € 2-3 per round, training ammunition is a little bit over € 1 per cartridge. With handloading I can half the costs even with the most expensive components and can go much lower with standard components.  With € 2 / round I'd be burning 100 bucks per week (50 rounds / session) which would definitely make me reconsider my hobby.

I get my components from Germany, if you can import them from there (minus the powder and primers of course, which you'd have to by locally because explosives) you can save a TON of money! Check your local laws but I'm very sure projectiles and brass are not regulated by any laws. 

Also why a 9.3x62? Its a fine cartridge for sure but really suited for hunting large game. 8x57, 7.26x51 etc. are more suited for range sessions, components are more readily available, there is much better and less expensive match bullets available for them, they burn less powder and have more than enough power for reaching out 800 meters or more and hunting the largest local game. 

If 9.3x62 is what your heart desires go for it but its definitely not an ideal option for a starting gun by any means. 

No, no, that magical fairy dust ammo costs around 5000SEK :p

I'm not sure why it's so expensive here, but I would'nt be suprised to learn that they government have taxed weapons and ammunition as much as they could dare. Swedens government has wanted to ban just about all rifles lately, so why not tax them out of use instead?

There is training ammunition, costs around 580SEK for 50 rounds, but any hunting quality ammo lands around 700SEK/20. 680SEK gets you 20 Norma 8gr FMJ. I don't have enough knowledge about handloading to make a fair estimate of the costs, but after work tonight I can have a look on that site to see where it lands if you handload.

It's probably not impossible to import some casings and such from Germany

Well, I do want to hunt with the rifle, and the rifle I've enjoyed shooting the most was a 9.3. Might've been just that specific rifle that was awesome ofcourse, but I have a preference for it. I would'nt say no to a normal 6.5 Swedish either ;)

I did notice though that it seems possible to buy .50 BMG rifles for hunting in Sweden. Did'nt think that was possible XD

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My car is in the shop, and they gave me a sweet Audi Q5 as a rental. I am now planning out my next car purchase. I still have a year before I can buy, but I am thinking a Mazda 6 or a Jeep Cherokee. It is a commuter car, so the 6 makes more sense, but I love the new Cherokees.

Feels more like twenty-six minutes than 26 years ago today, when this recruit was 17. 

Ah forming week. The utility uniforms have changed (Charlies are the same) and the squad bay looks a lot newer and nicer than what I remember. But it hasn't changed that much.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Theres no chill in Marines boot camp, toughest in the US armed forces. Now the Navy boot camp is a completely different animal. Theres some yelling at you and physical stuff, to weed out the weak of mind and body, but we didn't even have an obstacle course for example.

Theres no chill in Marines boot camp, toughest in the US armed forces. Now the Navy boot camp is a completely different animal. Theres some yelling at you and physical stuff, to weed out the weak of mind and body, but we didn't even have an obstacle course for example.

The Navy has their obstacle courses once you get in the fleet. Like trying to get from your berth to the mess hall in 10' seas.

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:lol: Its sounds rudimentary but I cant tell you how many times I hit my shin or forehead going through watertight hatches. And dont get me started on the ladders between every deck! They are so steep you are much more likely to fall while going up than down.

Luckily being on carriers the whole time while on sea duty, 10' seas werent that big of a deal. But we used to go hang out in the hangar bay during UNREP's (underway replenishment) and stuff and watch the gator freighters and other bob around in the ocean.

I know you were a Marine but I think I remember you mentioning that you spent some time on a Navy ship? Are you a Trusty Shellback?

No I've never been south of the big line. Well not by ship anyway. I was in Diego Garcia for most of the Gulf War but we went there by C141 and to Kuwait by C130. I did catch a ride to the RoK from Okinawa on the Debuque for Team Spirit in '92 and St. Louis for Valiant Blitz in '91. And you felt every bump in those.

Thomas Sowell

When I was a kid, I remember going across the Bay of Biscay on the Canberra. Even with the cruise liner stabilisers, the amount of passengers that got extremely seasick due to those rolls was quite entertaining for someone who wasn't bothered by it.

I've been in an odd and somewhat introverted/anti-social mood this weekend, so I pretty much ignored the adult world and for the first time in years re-read David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series (well okay, I've only got about 3 books into the Mallorean at current time). Kind of odd to think that Eddings is now dead, and that the Belgariad was originally written in the early 80's.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We're in late September and we're still having very nice weather for a few hours per day. Heck, even the mornings aren't that cold. Last year, it was freezing.

Unrealated: Sent in my new PC for repairs, so no PC gaming for me. Will probably get it back in a week or two. (Incompetent postal service)

On an even further unrelated note. Been walking/running and going to the gym. It's nice to look at your body and see some actual change. I don't look like an Olympic swimmer, still chubby, but I am happy with the result. Most importantly, I am not constantly tired.

• Like 3

(Incompetent postal service)

:'(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ugh. I'm working in Memphis all week. I'd rather be eaten by ants!

Thomas Sowell

I don't blame you, I dont like it either. Your friends are not wrong. I've been told though that things have improved since the past, wich scares me.. It's backbreaking and repetetive, and many other things, for very little pay.

The 5th of October I've been working there one year, and I still have the exact same wage as when I started. But now I actually know what the hell I'm doing and have a semi "manager" position. I did get more contractual hours though, but that's not been an issue before, I've worked close to the same hours any way, I just have it enforced now instead of working extra.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

I had crap salary for all the years I worked here at the school with barely any pay raise. When I went in to negotiate this year, I set a firm sum that I wanted. I told them, if you don't give me this, there's another school willing to have me. I liked the response I got:

A firm handshake and a nod. All the previous years, I didn't show any confidence going into these salary negotiations.

I do hope things get better for people working with the postal service, though.

Edited by Labadal
  • Like 1

Seriously a baby lizard bolted across the wall in the hall next to the kitchen as I went past. Thought it was a super speedy centipede at first, but I broke out my trusty Heider BBX Super Power flashlight Walsingham made me buy, searched and searched, found the little guy clinging to the paper shredder. Definitely lizard. Disappeared immediately. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Found a bathroom scale I had been searching the house for. So no one stole it. But then I used it, so a mixed day

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the official definition of a pound is 1lbs = 0.465kg. it used to be something about grains of wheat but when metric rolled in they just used the unit relation to make it simpler.

i spend most of yesterday and today trying to find out what i'm doing wrong with a password... no luck and it is a type of password that has no "reset" or "recover" option. when i make passwords i use phrases and write them in L33T so as long as i remember the phrase, i can just recreate the password without having to remember it character for character. apparently though, when i made this one i made a spelling mistake somewhere and in a 20 character password its pretty hard to find which of the characters is wrong

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Just realized I joined this board 11 years (+2 days) ago.

If we also count the old Black Isles boards, how long have you guys been discussing games?

I got started here complaining about the hatchet job of KOTOR II. I was around on BIS but I wasn't real active.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell