What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

Ordered me a couple of these. Dräger RD40 1140 Nuclear P3D 40mm DIN - Particles (Level 3), radioactive iodine, radioactive methyl iodine. Never going to need it but not bad to have.

61TEffp0PhL._SL1000__zpsy3y9rsfy.jpg

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I got rear ended on the way home from work today.  It was a pretty hard hit, his airbags went off but mine were ok.  I pulled over, and of course the guy had no insurance.  He bought the car on ebay a day earlier, it was a scrapyard job and was still registered under the other people.  I called the police and had them file a report.  Thankfully Geico is awesome and has a California Collision plan that covers me against uninsured drivers.  I take the car into the shop tomorrow, get a rental, and they will go after the guy for the damages.  Not a great end to the day, but I'm pretty happy with Geico.  

Glad youre ok Hurlshot.

A driver with no insurance, heh. Me as a german, I've never heard of such a thing ever before. :>

Well, all drivers are required by law to be insured. Its just that many people don't and its not like the police go knocking on doors. The only way to get caught is if you have an accident, get a ticket or a cop rolls up behind you and runs your plates.

• Like 1

They do a pretty good job of making sure you are insured in California by not allowing you to leave any car dealerships without proof of insurance and tying it to your registration, so if it lapses you get a notice from the DMV.  He got around that by buying it as a salvage on Craigslist and it still being registered in the other person's name.  I'm curious if my insurance company will go after the seller, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that.

Glad you are OK Hurlshot. Car accidents are bad news (speaking from experience). Did the other guy even have a driver's license?

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

main thing is that hurl walks away ok from a car accident.  that being said, before applauding geico, we wonder how much they increase hurl's insurance rate.  poor guy won't know for months and then Bam! thinks he got away from accident unscathed?  nope.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That reminds me. On sunday evening, a 25 year old driver near my home town was speeding and cutting a corner, hitting a 17 years old girl on her moped, basically disintegrating her. Apparently the scene of the crash looked really, really bad, with psychiatrist and such being on the scene till deep in the night, caring for the witnesses and firefighters.

Made me really angry, because I see so, so many people moving completely unaware through street traffic every week. Cyclists shooting over red lights, cyclists not even looking to the left or right before crossing a street, cars speeding in really stupid situations, etc. I just want to slap all these people.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

main thing is that hurl walks away ok from a car accident.  that being said, before applauding geico, we wonder how much they increase hurl's insurance rate.  poor guy won't know for months and then Bam! thinks he got away from accident unscathed?  nope.

HA! Good Fun!

The guy did have a license, at least.

My rates should not increase because it is clear he was at fault.  That was also why it was important that I called the Highway Patrol and got them to write it up.  The police report is my evidence that I am not liable, and the other driver did not dispute that.

HA! Good Fun!

The guy did have a license, at least.

My rates should not increase because it is clear he was at fault.  That was also why it was important that I called the Highway Patrol and got them to write it up.  The police report is my evidence that I am not liable, and the other driver did not dispute that.

fault is not required to raise rates.  is not a punishment. statistically, if you have been in an accident, you are more likely to be in future accidents.  rates is raised 'cause you is a greater risk to insure.  good luck.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

fault is not required to raise rates.  is not a punishment. statistically, if you have been in an accident, you are more likely to be in future accidents.  rates is raised 'cause you is a greater risk to insure.

That sounds suspiciously like magical thinking. Correlation does not equal causation.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

fault is not required to raise rates.  is not a punishment. statistically, if you have been in an accident, you are more likely to be in future accidents.  rates is raised 'cause you is a greater risk to insure.

That sounds suspiciously like magical thinking. Correlation does not equal causation.

He said nothing about cause
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

He said nothing about cause

I didn't imply he did.

I implied his description makes insurance companies sound like fairly irrational entities.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

keep in mind that Gromnir ain't saying that hurl's rates will be raised.  haven't seen your policy and we don't deal with geico.  nevertheless, am knowing that many people is shocked to discover that in spite o' the fact they were not at fault in an accident, their rates got raised.  boat sinks 'cause o bad weather and your rate to insure future boat increases.  house gets robbed and home insurance rates increase. *shrug* insurance is actual requiring that the damage be caused by an accident.  intentional damage were, in the past, not covered.  and accidents frequent is not having a person to be at fault.  act o' god or at least factors beyond any single person's control.

as for magical thinking, correlation is more than enough for insurance.  seriously, we is talking business, not philosophy.  you been in three accidents past, and police reports insist that you were not at fault in any.  doesn't matter.  insurer would be jack arse stoopid to not increase rates.  insurer don't care 'bout ultimate cause.  your route home has poor traffic light algorithms?  dunno.  don't matter.  past accidents is a good predictor o' future accidents. period.

HA! Good Fun!

ps keep in mind that a police report measure o' fault is hardly actual scientific evidence.  but the insurer don't care regardless.  statistically, if you is a greater risk, it makes good business sense to raise rates.  sure, is complete possible that the safest and most conscientious driver in the world could be in 10 accidents in one year, none o' which were her fault.  the likelihood o' her actual having an 11th accident might, when all factors is considered, might be exceeding small. the insurer doesn't care.  the insurer doesn't have time or resources to care.  

Edited by Gromnir

I got rear ended on the way home from work today.  It was a pretty hard hit, his airbags went off but mine were ok.  I pulled over, and of course the guy had no insurance.  He bought the car on ebay a day earlier, it was a scrapyard job and was still registered under the other people.  I called the police and had them file a report.  Thankfully Geico is awesome and has a California Collision plan that covers me against uninsured drivers.  I take the car into the shop tomorrow, get a rental, and they will go after the guy for the damages.  Not a great end to the day, but I'm pretty happy with Geico.  

For what it's worth, Uninsured Motorist coverage is usually a required component of auto policies.  It varies by state, but it would surprise me if CA wasn't on the more prescriptive end of things, generally.  So, you may be giving a little too much credit to your particular insurer.

That said, I'm glad that you escaped unscathed.

Not exactly today, but still; Bought this
09611.jpg
02747.jpg
00480.jpg

Turns out though, that I did'nt need any of those parts, since it was another component that had failed, the main clutch pump. I've managed to get it "working" but there seems to be an infinite amount of air in it. So some part must be broken since I keep getting air in there. 

Glad to hear you got away ok Hurl :)

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I planted the whole garden in pumpkins. They are starting to form! There are 75 individual pumpkin vines. That might make 125 pumpkins give or take.

That's a lot of pumpkins.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I planted the whole garden in pumpkins. They are starting to form! There are 75 individual pumpkin vines. That might make 125 pumpkins give or take.

And when will you finish building the catapult?

• Like 1

And when will you finish building the catapult?

Do NOT tempt me like that

Thomas Sowell

Handloaded some ammo, 7.92x57mm Mauser. Handloading effectively make shooting 65% -85% cheaper for me, depending on the caliber. 

As a nice bonus I also get considerably more accuracy out of it compared to commercial ammo. Handloading is awesome.  :)

mauser98_zpsvqeguvcz.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Handloaded some ammo, 7.92x57mm Mauser. Handloading effectively make shooting 65% -85% cheaper for me, depending on the caliber. 

As a nice bonus I also get considerably more accuracy out of it compared to commercial ammo. Handloading is awesome.  :)

I want to get me a license and a nice 9.3x62 Mauser, but I need to save up alot of money for that to happen.

Out of curiosity I checked how much it would cost to buy a box of 20 8x57 here, going by average price and not quality; 680SEK, or roughly 70€. So 65% less makes for one hell of a saving. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken