What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

Car broke down today, just a few hundred metres from work the clutch gave up. Managed to roll into the parking lot atleast. Annoying as hell, going to have to be without car for a few days while I repair it.

Too many things that might've given in though, but I think it's either the clutchrod or the throwout bearing (I'm not 100% on the technical terms here). Any way, I'm going to change it all out for better parts while I can.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

we could change out a broken clutch... no problem.  'course that would only be true if we were driving this:

home-design.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's a dry clutch, I would'nt know what a wet clutch looks like. I don't think they make cars with wet clutches, but I'm just guessing here.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Getting stupidly stressed out about the fact I move in 15 days (seriously? Seriously...) and STILL don't have an apartment in Oregon.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The last rabbit died today. I bought them for cooking and they both die of old age. The best laid plans and so on...

I was thinking of using the enclosure for chickens. It would be nice to have fresh eggs around. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Chickens are a lot less endearing than rabbits.  We have a few chickens, but we keep them at the neighbors and just pay her a bit to keep them alive.  We also care for them when they go out of town, and we get a ton of eggs.

We get chicken meat too, but I only like the breasts.  The dark meat tastes too gamey to me.

Edited by Hurlshot

Toying with the idea to modify all my rooms with smart home stuff. Controlling lights and other devices. Might get quite expensive, but nothing I can't handle. Damn, I just love the future.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Undergraduate school really worked for me on two occasions ... once when my Biology professor from Berkeley pointed her finger at me and called me by my last name ... and secondly when they started posting exam scores in graph mode on the university web page, showing high scores, and I beat everyone else's lazy, Facebooking asses in Spanish, American History, Geology, and English.

Rudimentary mathematics, on the other hand ... last in class, cold sweats, nausea.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

School. I dunno why I hate it so much now since I used to love it a million years ago

Trying to force myself to care but it's not really working

Yeah. Relevant again:

5qle5EC.png

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

trying to do school as an adult who gots family and career responsibilities is funless. and as much as we enjoyed our post high school education, am admitting there were few times in our life more stressful than midterms and finals and thesis defense. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

trying to do school as an adult who gots family and career responsibilities is funless. and as much as we enjoyed our post high school education, am admitting there were few times in our life more stressful than midterms and finals and thesis defense. 

HA! Good Fun!

I took nearly all my classes at night. I was going through a bad time then, money problems, marriage problems, you name it. The night of my final in my Statics class I stopped by a bar in Davie FL called the Oar House to study a bit before the test. They had Icehouse on tap for $.75. I was so stressed and upset that one just followed another. When I left there I was hammered. I walked across the street and took the test because I was firmly in the DGAF zone. I passed. I got an A on it. Either I was relaxed and brilliant, or just lucky, or it's true God looks after drunks, fools, and children because that night I was all three. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am at one of my customers now, we are working at testing the DR site functionality and all vendors have to confirm their applications can work in the event of a disaster where the DR site is needed

So I'll be testing the application my company is responsible for, hopefully it should all go well :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

School. I dunno why I hate it so much now since I used to love it a million years ago

Trying to force myself to care but it's not really working

While I'm afraid doing my doctorate at 31 might have sidelined my career for quite a while, if not permanently, I find comfort in the fact that I have very little reason to study for a degree ever again...

Maybe an MBA, though! ;)

Toying with the idea to modify all my rooms with smart home stuff. Controlling lights and other devices. Might get quite expensive, but nothing I can't handle. Damn, I just love the future.

Sigh, I wish I had rooms, instead of being essentially homeless (see above). I'd love to have the remote control lighting for security purposes.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not quite taken with the Internet of Things as the security will be total garbage I feel for a while

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I dunno about the security. The stuff will be before the router, so if nobody gets through my router, nothing bad can happen. As far as i can tell, my mobile phone would be a much easier target + it is with me most of the time, therefore actually being the better deal to get hacked.

I've researched the hardware a little bit today and yesterday, and found out that nowadays we even have damn LED light bulbs with wifi. So I wouldn't even need to exchange my lamps or rewire everything--- just exchange the light bulbs. Awesome. On the other hand, this stuff is really expensive. Equipping my 2 most important rooms would already cost me quite a bit. Though I probably could connect some objects via "wifi outlets" and some with LED light bulbs (I don't need them new light bulbs everywhere).

Then again, I have no idea how much this would have an impact on my energy usage. It can't be a lot, but even little things can add up in the end.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am at one of my customers now, we are working at testing the DR site functionality and all vendors have to confirm their applications can work in the event of a disaster where the DR site is needed

So I'll be testing the application my company is responsible for, hopefully it should all go well :)

We had an issue last night so I only finished at 11 pm....but its done now so I have Sunday to relax and do some gaming  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Came to a very late-night epiphany that perhaps, by the time I am old and grey, that I might be glad to be rid of the constantly overwhelming and soul-crushing feelings of anxiety and despair that I've associated with the prospect of death for the past 8 years or so, feelings that I will probably continue to experience for many more decades...unless I suddenly become overtly religious, which is unlikely, given that my efforts so far have utterly failed.

That, or they stopped bothering themselves about it simply because they know it'll happen regardless...a lesson that I have repeatedly been failing to learn time and time again over the last decade. Truth be told, neither of these thoughts give me much relief.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Came to a very late-night epiphany that perhaps, by the time I am old and grey, that I might be glad to be rid of the constantly overwhelming and soul-crushing feelings of anxiety and despair that I've associated with the prospect of death for the past 8 years or so, feelings that I will probably continue to experience for many more decades...unless I suddenly become overtly religious, which is unlikely, given that my efforts so far have utterly failed.

That, or they stopped bothering themselves about it simply because they know it'll happen regardless...a lesson that I have repeatedly been failing to learn time and time again over the last decade. Truth be told, neither of these thoughts give me much relief.

Look we all hate our jobs but that doesn't mean we start philosophizing over the internet. Keep it together

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Look we all hate our jobs but that doesn't mean we start philosophizing over the internet. Keep it together

I think Barti should ask Volo what he thinks  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Fun run in at a KFC with a clerk that truly deserves to be at minimum wage. Asks me if my sister is my girlfriend, I say no. Then he continues by asking if we have the same parents because, y'know, our skin colours are different. Ah, morons. But at least today was good, finally broke the back of a bug I was hunting down so the client should be less pissed off at us.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra