Pokémon GO

ktchong

It's all over the news here. The even interviewed "Pokemon Experts", as in 30 year old men, on strategies and such.

I WOULD be such an expert, but I have no phone!!!

WTF NINTENDO!? I DON'T OWN A FRIGGIN PHONE, I HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE GAMING DEVICES!!! 

Crap, I'm finally gonna have to buy a phone so I can play this. I gotta catch 'em all, and be the best like no one ever was. 

Also here's a decent review from a surprisingly balanced reviewer that by all rights should be a Nintendo shill:

I like that he called his Muk, "Your Waifu".

No phone?! That's pretty hardcore.

That's right. Screw phones. Why would I have a phone? Until now all phones where worthless to me, but now I need one, cuz' to catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause. Also this isn't the first time I've ever stated that I don't own a phone on this forum.

Nobody noticed then, I guess.

*shrug*  I don't have a phone either.  I'd happily go without a home phone as well, but it's sometimes necessary to be able to call people, and 911 access is probably a good idea.

Traffic signs here in Arizona say Pokemon Go is a no-go when driving

Not my photo but here it is

636040389819004825-Pokemon-2-1-.JPG

I installed it on my phone but I can't really play it in the two places I play the most games on my phone, bathroom and bedroom, so it doesn't get played

Why would you even play it while driving? Eggs stop counting steps if you go too fast - a bicycle can break the limit, let alone a car. And Pokestops have a pretty low interaction radius. You'd have to drive at a snail's pace to reap the benefits.

Yes, unfortunately.

Why is this **** a thing again. It was merchandising with barely a game on top of it, even in the 90's.

And yet... this is the ultimate Darwinian experiment in natural selection. All the lemmings with no sense of their surroundings will go over a cliff, get run over by a car or fall over a precipice, into a volcano.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

13669712_1085538051500885_71730240576742

Eh, it has people getting together, being social, and physically active rather than buried in the depths of their rooms on an xbox or what have you.

People enjoy what they enjoy.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yes, unfortunately.

Why is this **** a thing again. It was merchandising with barely a game on top of it, even in the 90's.

And yet... this is the ultimate Darwinian experiment in natural selection. All the lemmings with no sense of their surroundings will go over a cliff, get run over by a car or fall over a precipice, into a volcano.

So all these nerds who stayed in their basements and developed back and mental problems are fine yet when there's a game that encourages them to go outside and be healthy that is lame?

Also the Pokémon games are ridiculously full of strategic depth and content. It might not be your cup of tea but to call it barely a game is a lie. Not a personal attack, a stated fact. What you said was a flat out lie.

• Like 1

Yes, unfortunately.

So all these nerds who stayed in their basements and developed back and mental problems are fine yet when there's a game that encourages them to go outside and be healthy that is lame?

Also the Pokémon games are ridiculously full of strategic depth and content. It might not be your cup of tea but to call it barely a game is a lie. Not a personal attack, a stated fact. What you said was a flat out lie.

If they need Pokemon to go outside and be healthy then they're already beyond salvation. I'm a nerd yet I find time to go to the gym at least 4 times per week. Its really not that hard.

I played the old Pokemon games, perhaps Gold or Silver. To call them full of strategy is a mighty leap of the imagination. In my experience its a typical jrpg grindfest in execution and the breeding aspect is a spreadsheet for nerds. I consider it a mind numbing slog as only Japanese games can be. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

You clearly have never seen any competitive gaming. And to be fair, "barely a game" requires something else than "spreadsheet for nerds". As for them being beyond salvation, you're on this board. You know who Obsidian is, which puts calling anyone a nerd out of reach for you (and that goes for all you lot).

Yes, unfortunately.

If they need Pokemon to go outside and be healthy then they're already beyond salvation. I'm a nerd yet I find time to go to the gym at least 4 times per week. Its really not that hard.

I played the old Pokemon games, perhaps Gold or Silver. To call them full of strategy is a mighty leap of the imagination. In my experience its a typical jrpg grindfest in execution and the breeding aspect is a spreadsheet for nerds. I consider it a mind numbing slog as only Japanese games can be. 

You're making a fool out of yourself, judging a whole franchise by its second game entry released 17 years ago. It was before natures and abilities, the physical/special move split, stat overhaul, reusable TMs, double battles, online connectivity... It's ancient history in video game terms. But beyond games, there was still more than just cash-grabbing merchandise. Millions of us grew up with the Pokemon anime, PoGO reminds us of those times - even those who haven't touched anything Pokemon-related in years - and this excitement is a beautiful thing to watch. If you don't like Pokemon, that's fine, but to dismiss it as **** for lemmings and nerds is, well, embarrassing, considering the kind of forum we're on. I guess sitting on your couch stabbing virtual dragons with virtual swords is somehow more socially acceptable than going out for a 5 mile walk to catch these dragons? It's a good thing most of us are adults well-versed in the fine art of ignoring petty killjoys and carrying on with our lives. :)

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

I remember watching Pokemon as a kid, revisiting it now it looks like it was an elaborate ploy by a horny professor to get a single mom's kid out of the way so he could slip her the Oak.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For the general snerk humour from the Duffelblog...

Grown men who defend the country... spend all day hunting Pokémon

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon lost more than 1,000 man-hours of work over the past week due to fully grown adults blowing off work to look for Pokémon, a news release said today.

"I suspended training and gave the entire school a few days off," said Capt. Kevin Byrne, commanding officer of Naval Nuclear Power Training Command. "Funny thing was it wasn’t because of the students. All the instructors threatened to strike if they didn’t get to play ‘Pokémon Go.’ I decided it was fine because it’ll be the only exercise they’ve had in years."

"Cell phones are forbidden in Rickover Center because of all the classified information inside," Byrne added. "But I’ve suspended that rule because there’s a venusaur on the third floor. Also I’m not worried about classified information anymore because nobody else is."

The reports of service members playing ‘Pokémon Go’ were not limited to just one command.

In Norfolk, a sailor was arrested for forcing his way onto a submarine so he could capture a gyarados, and soldiers of the 10th Special Forces Group scheduled a training mission in the Rocky Mountains because they heard there was a graveler on top of Mt. Elbert.

A pilot died in a plane crash near Edwards Air Force Base, and his last transmission was apparently "There’s got to be a flying type up here!"

Meanwhile, Gen. Joseph Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, announced plans for invading Syria sometime early next week.

"Our mission is simple," Dunford said. "Defeat ISIS, restore regional stability, and catch rare fire types. They thrive in the desert."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I remember watching Pokemon as a kid, revisiting it now it looks like it was an elaborate ploy by a horny professor to get a single mom's kid out of the way so he could slip her the Oak.

Oh come on, you're going to go all that way and not say "...slip her the Oakemon"?  Total waste. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh come on, you're going to go all that way and not say "...slip her the Oakemon"?  Total waste. :p

Well his name is Professor Oak and the -mon suffix was used in Digimon not Pokemon. Learn your 90's children's shows and get on my level.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well his name is Professor Oak and the -mon suffix was used in Digimon not Pokemon. Learn your 90's children's shows and get on my level.

Oakemon rhymes with Pokemon, not Digimon.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Depends on how you treat the ke sound.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Depends on how you treat the ke sound.

You treat it like it rhymes, obviously. :p

Seeing a mob running with their phones out is like one of those things from a sci-fi movie where they come up with some strange quirky thing that people of the future will be doing.

You know like how in Demolition Man they clean their butt with "the three seashells" and...

"in the future people will only play outside through augmented reality". This scene would fit right in: