How Much Freedom of Expression/Speech in Tyranny?

Chippy

I don't know how long it's been since POE's release, but I still haven't had the time to play it - I just squeezed in and breezed through W2, and I'll probably leave TTON until some holiday time late next year.  I donated $1000 to each of these, and will support Tyranny when it comes out, but I still need to play through the IE games again (which I haven't done in over 5 years).

The thing is that SOD exposed me to the SJW - to the threat this group has on freedom of speech and expression.  Subsequently  to Gamergate, Milo Yiannopoulos and all the great youtube personalities that are forces of rationality.

The point being that Tyranny will really have to do something to grab my attention.  It's gonna have to have complete freedom of expression to do what it has been marketed as, or I doubt I'll even bother with it for at least another 3 years.  But more importantly I hope it pushes the boundaries of artistic expression and freedom of speech in an engaging adult > adult manner without any childishness or 'controlling parent' type politics.

Maybe then the most least interesting title on the radar will become something actually engaging.  I'm not trying to start a war here (I don't have the ****ing time), but am interested to know if gamers think Tyranny might be held back in some way by ... all the crap that seems to have found it's way into my hobby without me noticing.

Of course there won't be much freedom, it is after all a tyranny!

I apologise, I couldn't help myself. If moral ambiguity is implemented in as mature and non judgemental a fashion as say Alpha Protocol then i'll be more than happy personally.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

:ninja: 

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Geez, I just hope the game is fun.  You worry about weird stuff.

edit:  Here is a challenge.  Look through a most anticipated games list of 2016 or 1017, and tell me which ones have been seriously influenced by some sort of SJW agenda.  Is the marine in Doom fighting social justice issues instead of demons now?  No, just play games and ignore the stupid people.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

want freedom o' expression? write a poem, or buy yourself a watercolor set.  there is never freedom of expression in a scripted crpg.  all your possible responses are written by the obsidian developers.  whatever freedom you see in tyranny or any other crpg with scripted dialogues, essential plot points, skill trees, talents and dozens o' other trappings o' the kinda crpg that tyranny clearly is shaping up to be, will only offer freedom o' expression if you buy into the illusion that your choices is meaningful and real. 

enjoy the game, or don't.  you got the freedom to choose.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This thread makes me chuckle.

Anyways, it's a game expect the same tame **** as always. It will at best be a government simulator with a good story and at worst It will be another game that thinks that "killings" a bunch of polys is edgy. 
Unless I get that dead baby mace that I was promised for another game I won't be impressed....BTW I meant a mace made of a dead baby not mace spray against dead babies.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You donated $1000 to POE and then don't get around to playing it? Quite some time has passed... aren't you keen to see what your $1000 bought?

Your post comes across as somewhat out of the blue... why the sudden worry on this front?

I'm sure the scriptwriters are doing their best. 

want freedom o' expression? write a poem, or buy yourself a watercolor set.  there is never freedom of expression in a scripted crpg.  all your possible responses are written by the obsidian developers.  whatever freedom you see in tyranny or any other crpg with scripted dialogues, essential plot points, skill trees, talents and dozens o' other trappings o' the kinda crpg that tyranny clearly is shaping up to be, will only offer freedom o' expression if you buy into the illusion that your choices is meaningful and real.

Cool story, but OP is specifically asking about Obsidian's freedom of expression regarding what they will be allowed to put in the game, not his own while playing it.

That being said, Obsidz is not an indie dev. Making money and staying in business is obviously going to be a higher priority than making any sort of artistic statement or political commentary... even assuming they were inclined to do so. They've probably learned their lesson after the limerick debacle, so expect them to err on the side of caution. P'dox are also notoriously skittish when it comes to anything remotely controversial. Connect the dots, and make a decision.

At any rate, pre-emptive controversies are pointless. This one is particularly baffling, considering the OP claims he doesn't even have time to pursue his own hobbies. Priorities?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

*sigh*

am aware o' what the op were saying. we were observing the irony w/o trying to indulge in another ridiculous gg/sjw nonsense thread.

like it, or don't... game or posts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I just wonder what the tone will be.  If it takes itself too seriously I can see some problems.  I'd prefer something like this:

"Ok folks, another village ahead.  Feel free to rape, torture and murder at your discretion.  Smitty's got the portable forge to set up so it'll be awhile before the red hot pokers are a-go, breakfasts can be fried, and sausage wagging can begin...now, Sharon; while I applaude you imagination, that old geezer -Harold was it?- that you put into our trebuchet and launched  into the last castle we sacked, actually went through a window and killed the commanders daughter - so while I'm sure he died happy, you my dear, shall not."

Maybe a bit too Stephen Fry, but you get the idea.

Edited by Chippy

Really?

That's neither evil nor edgy, that's... yep, Blackadder is an apt comparison.

"Ok folks, another village ahead. There are 347 subjects in this locale, 295 of whom should be welcoming our arrival - Jay, you'll be counting. Here's Zed; he's our local Watcher. According to his reports, the village elder's daughter doesn't wear the prescribed colour of the day most of the time. Two subjects ran away three weeks ago; there are 17 relatives remaining in the village. Six days ago, a troupe of strangers passed through; Zed has the names of those who talked to them. He also managed to listen in to several conversations complaining about our weather plan for this year and expressing dissatisfaction with the Second Vizier's hunting expedition last week. Remember that our target for tonight is in the 36 to 48 range. With the culling of the obviously tainted ones, we should manage to get most of these. For the rest, we need to give the villagers the opportunity to restore the purity of their community by working closely with us. Remind them that the service in the Swarm is an honour. And refrain from any irregularities, as the Divinity commands."

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I just wonder what the tone will be.  If it takes itself too seriously I can see some problems.

The tone will definitely be serious. We're talking about a world-spanning empire lead by Fantasy Stalin here. A dude who's apparently launched multiple magical WMDs during the last leg of his conquests.

• Like 1

I just wonder what the tone will be.  If it takes itself too seriously I can see some problems.

The tone will definitely be serious. We're talking about a world-spanning empire lead by Fantasy Stalin here. A dude who's apparently launched multiple magical WMDs during the last leg of his conquests.

I find the notion of a Fantasy Stalin hilarious, I'm currently playing space Hitler on Stellaris.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif