can't load Brighthollow upstairs

Sawbonz

Question

output_log.txt        DxDiag.txt

The uploader would not let me attach the saved game because file was too big

When I try to go upstairs in Brighthollow (in Caed Nua) to rest I get booted to the "Main Menu" screen and an error message that says:

"There was an error loading the next map.  Returned to Main Menu to prevent saved game corruption."

Game otherwise seems to play normally.

getting the same error, seems to go hand in hand with the party bug (prevents you from putting in certain party members in to your active roster).

in my case, hiravias was the one bugging out, when i sent him to do an adventure i was able to go back to the second floor (since he was gone).  however when he returned it again prevented me.

Use https://www.sendspace.com/ to upload the large save files and post the links.

@Obsidian, @Sking

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88124-game-breaking-bug-cannot-change-party-303/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88127-bugbugs-change-party-and-brighthollow/

this thread

Looks like there is a need for a hotfix. somehow none of the Beta Testers wanted to go to the second floor of Brighthollow.

*edit*

Booth posted output.logs have trouble loading PX2_Form_Of_Delemgan:

Error trying to load PX2_Form_of_the_Delemgan from C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data\assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle\px2_form_of_the_delemgan.unity3d

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

ERROR: PX2_Form_of_the_Delemgan(Clone) doesn't have an associated prefab. Trying to recreate from known data, this object may not work correctly.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at GenericAbility.Restored () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Xaratas

hey Sawbonz

That error is a fail safe we put in. If the game reads an error on load that would corrupt your save data it boots you to the front end to save your data. That being said I'm going to see whats up and see if we can get a fix.

I got your back

-Sking

Hi Loren, i have neither white march 1 nor 2.

another update.  hiravias seems to be the bad apple here, when i put him in my party that's when things go wrong (can't change party etc).  when he's not on an adventure i cannot go to the second floor of brighthollow.  however when i send him on an adventure i am able to load the second floor.

I have an inkling I know what's going on. In both Rontu's (his own thread) and Sawbonz output log the game tries to load Form of the Delemgan right before it goes the way of the null pointer and dies. Given that this is a WM2 druid spell and at least Rontu doesn't have WM installed, that seems a bit problematic (not sure whether it is possible to tell from the log file whether Sawbonz has WM2, but I would thus expect he doesn't either).

This suggests that in the 3.03 update somehow the non-WM games got at least some WM character or class definitions mixed in, at least for the Druid. Presumably this would be fine if (in this case) Hiravias was already in the party, since his definition would already be in the save file. But if he was added to the party through the Party Composition menu or when moving to the second floor of Brighthollow, he likely would be constructed from scratch from the game files, leading to the game trying to load a Form of the Delemgan object that doesn't exist in their installations and failing / crashing to main menu.

Edit: in luxferressum's thread on the same Brighthollow bug, the output log shows something very similar. There it's Litany against Minor Afflictions (I assume in conjunction with Durence being out of party and on the second floor of Brighthollow), also a WM2 spell. Though he does indicate having WM 1 and 2 installed, but it still seems rather unlikely to be just coincidental. Then again, when I load his save game I get the same crash when going to second floor Brighthollow, which I don't with Rontu's or any of my own (though in my own, Durance is out of party but not yet at level 7; LaMA works fine when I level him up, though).

Edited by Loren Tyr

Hey everyone,

For those who are experiencing this bug, what platform are you using? (Steam, GOG, Mac Store?) and what version of the game did you start the save on? (3.01, 3.02, 3.03?). It'll help us out determine whats going on.

Thank you for your patience while we try to figure out whats causing this bug. 

Having the same error- I'm a new player, just picked up PoE during the steam summer sale, so running it on Steam 3.03.  No previously saved games.  As soon as I met Hiravias I tried to add him to my party right then and there.  It didn't work- one of my party members would leave, but Hiravias would not join.  Rather he would disappear then reappear at a different location in the same area.  To work around this I reloaded, recruited him again, but sent him directly to my stronghold.  That prompted the second floor error.  I am also unable to add him to the party from the stronghold or anyplace else.  Let me know if I can provide any more information.  Great game so far! 

Hey everyone,

We nailed this issue down. Discovered it has to do with the 'auto-level up' feature with the base game. We mistakenly added px2 abilities to certain characters progression tables when they auto-level up that they do not have access to. If you disable this feature in the options menu you can bypass the bug. We are however trying to get a fix, though I have no exact date when it will release.

Sorry

-Sking

• Like 2

My version is 3.03.1047, I play this game since 15/16th July 2016 and encountered the Brighthollow bug as well.

I followed the workaround to disable party auto level up in the option menu, but regardless which save game I chose, the upstairs map did not load.

Screen turns black and I get the message it can't be loaded to prevent save game corruption.

What shall I do now?  It's ok for me, as my chests are empty there, but I am a bit scared I might corrupt the game if I carry on.

Btw, as soon as I started to play POE, it felt like coming home  after many years in the RPG desert :)

I love it.

Can you also not add the companions stored at the stronghold? If that does work normally, I would just avoid the second floor and not worry about it. If you have no items stored there, there is little reason to go up there anyway. Save games shouldn't become corrupted I'd think, but just to be sure you can make some copies you can fall back on should something go wrong later (either just make an additional save game you don't overwrite, or manually copy the save game files in the PoE save game folder to another folder as backup).

Can you also not add the companions stored at the stronghold? If that does work normally, I would just avoid the second floor and not worry about it. If you have no items stored there, there is little reason to go up there anyway. Save games shouldn't become corrupted I'd think, but just to be sure you can make some copies you can fall back on should something go wrong later (either just make an additional save game you don't overwrite, or manually copy the save game files in the PoE save game folder to another folder as backup).

Thanks for your suggestion. I did not try to add other companions, am content with the ones I have atm, two should be in the inn. So far I assigned one of them to do a quest, it was the druid. I wonder if the bug happened since then. I do recall I was able to talk to the dwarven ranger in her room during the druid's absence. The reason I wanted to go up and was denied to was because I hoped the druid was rewarded with something after his return.

As you asked 2 other gamers about having White March or not = does my bug only apply to having the core game? Might getting these 2 expansions help with my bug?

And as I can't access the upper floor, can I activate automatic party level up again safely?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

The reason I asked is because it is indeed tied to White March 2. See also Sking's post above (px2 = White March 2), it seems that somehow the auto-leveling for the base game got accidentally contaminated with references to WM2 abilities, and since those don't actually exist in your game you get those errors. This bug arose in the patching to version 3.03, a week or two ago. Hiravias has so far been the main problem in this regard (he might be the only one contaminated actually, though possibly Durance as well, with other issues just a collateral effect), so when he wasn't there in Brighthollow it would indeed not have been a problem to go there. Quest rewards are always put in the chest in the main keep by the way.

Anyway, having White March 2 installed does resolve the issue as well, one of the first people who reported the bug tried that successfully (and I never could reproduce the bug with other people's savegames either, loading them into my own game). So if you were planning to get those anyway you could just do that now. But I wouldn't buy them just for that reason (they're well worth it in my view mind you, but you shouldn't have to buy them just as a patch), turning auto-level off should fix it well enough for now until they release a permanent fix. I did read other people who turned auto-level back on after adding a companion with no ill effect, so it might work properly when they are in your party. I'd just make sure to make a separate save occasionally as you approach a new level, just as a precaution. And turn it off at least temporarily if you're making changes to your party.

As of 10/6/2016, this bug is still real and active. Happened after letting the druid join up. Surely there will be a fix soon?

The work around does not work. (disabling auto-leveling)

If you have this game... DO NOT LET THE DRUID JOIN!

Tried everything, about to try restarting the game I guess is only solution.