Game breaking Bug - Cannot change Party (3.03)

Rontu23

Question

Hello,

Been looking around a bit and it appears that this bug has been ongoing.

It appears that i cannot add Hiravius to my party.  Every time i do, it shows him as added in the "Party Selection" screen while in Caed Nua, however when i close the screen, nothing happens.

Now once i do this it begins to bug out everything else and i cannot change anyone at all anymore.

I tried loading multiple saves from previous times throughout my play through and nothing seems to work.  I even re-installed and tried using a different computer and still not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have over 100 hours into the game and already int he middle of act 3, would hate to have to stop.

As a side note, this happened right after i updated to 3.03

Thank you

• Like 2

Same issue here.

I had no issues with the original 6 member party (main character, eder, kana, durance, aloth and sagani) and even 2 companions I created but as soon as I recruited Hiravias I noticed I wasn't able to replace Kana (or the others) with him. If I tried too hard I would just end up with a 5 member party.

Same happened when I found Grieving Mother soon after.

I just gave up and will continue with the original party but it's a real shame I can't explore the other characters (hope nothing else happens).

I'm level 7 by the way.

Same here, I'm around level 8 with the same group you have as well, but when I first encounter Hiravias and attempt to recruit him. I ended up with 5 member (Hiravias doesn't even show up as his portrait in the team member portrait area, so I can't initiate any dialog or action).

When I travel back to stronghold, and attempt to change around the characters there, still nothing worked.

Any fix for this yet?

I have experienced this bug, and as far as I know, there is no way to fix it after it occured, except buying the White March DLC - For those who don't know, the bug is caused by the auto-leveling of Hiravias, the GM and Durance past a certain level, because the auto-leveling tries to had capacities from the DLC.

What worked for me is loading a save before I recruited Hiravias (the character that caused the bug for me), disable Auto-leveling, and then recruit Hiravias and go on. Having done that, no problem at all, neither with changing the party nor accessing the first floor of Brighthollow.

BUT, if you don't have a save before recruting... Sorry, but it's dead for you. After some tries, before I reload my save before Hiravias, by changing my party to five members on the screen in the stronghold to match the party I had in game (Me, Eder, Durance, Pellegina, Aloth), saving, closing the game and reloading, I manage to be able to had Kana back to my party, obtaining a six functionning members party which could have allowed me to continu the game, only preventing me to acces Hiravias and the GM. But there is no real fix for the bug.

I suppose Obsidian is trying to work a way for the auto-leveling to detect if you have the WM DLC and adjust the auto-leveling to your version of the game, allowing you to use the auto-leveling even if you have the DLC without losing acces to interesting capacities... But for those of us who play the vanila version... It's a real problem, and should be fixed. 

Hey everyone,

We nailed this issue down. Discovered it has to do with the 'auto-level up' feature with the base game. We mistakenly added px2 abilities to certain characters progression tables when they auto-level up that they do not have access to. If you disable this feature in the options menu you can bypass the bug. We are however trying to get a fix, though I have no exact date when it will release.

Sorry

-Sking

Hello dear developer. It has soon been over two months and unfortunately I tried to recruit this sorry character and ended up with this bug. Dont have any earler saves.

What am I supposed to do?

/Disappointed customer.

Something you can try, at your own risk:
Launch the game (if the game is already running, close/restart it).
In Options>Difficulty disable "auto level companions".
Load your last save.
Talk to a Innkeeper.
Open "Party Management". Add Hiravias.
Open "Retrain". Reset Hiravias.
Save in a new slot.
Quit the game. Restart. Load your last save.

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Something you can try, at your own risk:

Launch the game (if the game is already running, close/restart it).

Load your last save.

Talk to a Innkeeper.

Save in a new slot.

I actually got it working by doing:

1. Disable auto-leveling

2. Go to an innkeeper.

3. Add Hriavias to party

The above fixed it for me.

Furthermore: The bug in Brighthollow dissapeared as well.

Hey everyone,

We nailed this issue down. Discovered it has to do with the 'auto-level up' feature with the base game. We mistakenly added px2 abilities to certain characters progression tables when they auto-level up that they do not have access to. If you disable this feature in the options menu you can bypass the bug. We are however trying to get a fix, though I have no exact date when it will release.

Sorry

-Sking

I was having the same problem (with Hivarius). This solution worked, but only after RESTARTING the game after disabling the 'auto-level up' feature, and loading my last save before having Hivarius join my party.

I was having the same problem (with Hivarius). This solution worked, but only after RESTARTING the game after disabling the 'auto-level up' feature, and loading my last save before having Hivarius join my party.

^ based on this, for those who can't reload to a point before getting Hiravias:

Close Pillars of Eternity.

Start PoE.

Load your last save*.

Talk to a Innkeeper.

Save in a new slot.

*last "less damaged" save. I'd refrain from using a "5 people party" bugged save, or a save where your companion equipment disappeared.

Edited by Suen

I've come to burn your kingdom down

I'm having this problem as well. I've tried the approach suggested by Suen, but it unfortunately doesn't seem to work. I've also tried manually adding Hiravias to the party using console commands: this results in a lvl 1 clone appearing, but party management still doesn't work (ends up with two Hiravias in the recruit screen, and still can't add/delete characters).

This is completely game breaking for me, and I can only hope an upcoming patch is able to fix games broken by it, as otherwise I doubt I'll play this any further. Does anyone know if installing the White March would work to fix the problem?

I've been trying to finish my PoE run, but have been running into bugs lately. One was that the game was crashing to the main menu when I tried to go to the second floor of Brighthollow.

More recently, I've been experiencing bugs with party management that people here are talking about. The game will periodically not allow me to change out party members (in inns or the stronghold). I found that traveling from an inn back to my stronghold allowed me to switch people out. I finished a stronghold quest, but then found that after it was done, I had two Hiraviases, one of which I can't control or dismiss. And since I can't control him, I can't go to different areas because I must "gather my party...".

Reloading old saves to fix issues is getting old. So I'm just hoping in the upcoming patch this stuff gets fixed cause I'm close to giving up on this run and maybe coming back to the game later with a fresh character and hoping the issues are worked out.

I have attempted the work-around but it has not solved the issue for me. I've verified the Steam Files and disabled just about everything - but to no avail.

This is a bug which must be corrected by Obsidian programmers

In my case I became aware of an issue when my party of 6 met Hiravias. I tried to dismiss Durance and recruit the druid. Whatever the underlying cause - (the automatically levelling process  has been mentioned as a possibility) -  the Party Management system operating in my game has been damaged. (Possibly fatally)

I thought I had managed to get over my problem by using an earlier save where I had a party of 4 when I met Hiravias . Now after too many more hours of game play, my next visit to Caed Nua  caused choas. 

Possibly dozens of recent save games are now corrupt. I am totally gutted

I am waiting for a reply from Obsidian

I have the same problem as this - however I managed to work around it by:

1. Go to Brighthollow ground floor
  2. Add Hiravias to your party (fails, no sound effect)
  3. Add Hiravias to your party (succeeds, sound effect)
  4. Go upstairs in Brighthollow (succeeds)

However, other posters have said that this doesn't work for them - Hiravias can end up outside the map so be warned.

if I drop Hiravias from my party and attempt to go upstairs again it fails as before, but I do seem to be able to add him again and go upstairs reliably.  So, I'll just have to make sure he's left at the keep for this purpose.

I have the same problem as this - however I managed to work around it by:

1. Go to Brighthollow ground floor
  2. Add Hiravias to your party (fails, no sound effect)
  3. Add Hiravias to your party (succeeds, sound effect)
  4. Go upstairs in Brighthollow (succeeds)

However, other posters have said that this doesn't work for them - Hiravias can end up outside the map so be warned.

if I drop Hiravias from my party and attempt to go upstairs again it fails as before, but I do seem to be able to add him again and go upstairs reliably.  So, I'll just have to make sure he's left at the keep for this purpose.

We have a fix for this in our 3.04 patch, which is currently up in Beta.

- Sking