Game breaking Bug - Cannot change Party (3.03)

Rontu23

Question

Hello,

Been looking around a bit and it appears that this bug has been ongoing.

It appears that i cannot add Hiravius to my party.  Every time i do, it shows him as added in the "Party Selection" screen while in Caed Nua, however when i close the screen, nothing happens.

Now once i do this it begins to bug out everything else and i cannot change anyone at all anymore.

I tried loading multiple saves from previous times throughout my play through and nothing seems to work.  I even re-installed and tried using a different computer and still not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have over 100 hours into the game and already int he middle of act 3, would hate to have to stop.

As a side note, this happened right after i updated to 3.03

Thank you

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the steam v3.03.1047 (fysical copy)

So i played around 25h, been to the city and surroundings doing quests and when i encounter hiravias i get through his dialogue untill the promt come's up whom i'm to swith out for him joining my party and when i switched him with another character. Either both characters are gone from my party or everything stays the same (with my textbox saying that hiravias joined & then left the party for some reason)

I tried multiple times, different save file's, going through different dialogue line's from hiravias. I even tried going to the keep afterwards and swithing characters there. But that doesn't help at all. He just doesn't want to join.

And sometimes when hiravias "joined my gang", he's on a different spot on the (same) map. And when i talk to him, its like his in my party because i can ask him oppinion about my mission/friends etc. One time he was even in the keep map somewhere around the western bridge instead of going to the inn-like place with the different rooms.

I left a save file here:

Its the first link (i think) thats just near the guy

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v345dk8wgnci12d/45664303-c627-41a0-9347-a0a8af263449+quicksave.savegame

http://www.mediafire.com/download/awt2olwhd60w8ek/45664303-c627-41a0-9347-a0a8af263449+autosave_1.savegame

Here you can see some screenshots if it could help (i tried changing him with aloth):

http://www.mediafire.com/view/sr4dws3ulvo6e41/PillarsOfEternity_2016-07-17_21-42-58-18.bmp

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1thjo18btmyg12f/PillarsOfEternity%202016-07-17%2021-42-40-56.bmp#

I have the exact same problem. I just bought the game yesterday via steam and its really frustrating.

​After several trials I actually found a way to recruit Hiravias.

First you should re-install the game and verify the integrity of game cache. 

Before talking to Hiravias at Storm Gorge, you should empty up party slot. I'm not sure if this works universally but it worked for me.

But then theres another problem. One of Hiravias' skill is specified as 'Missing abilities -1' and theres no icon.

I tried to ignore this glitch and kept on playing, but I needed to change my party again for some reason.

So I went back to Cad Nua and tried to switch members,,, but it doesn't work again.

The party management window was showing that the change was made but it actually wasn't.

Please come up with a new patch that solves this issue. This is truly a game breaking bug.

I just don't want to proceed without solving this problem.

I've got the same problem with changing the party at Caed Nua

Running Steam version 3.03.1047 without the White March expansions.

Party member thats causing issues for me is Aloth - can swap out other party members fine, but if I load a save without Aloth and try to add him it glitches, or if I load one with him in party I can only remove party members.  Played about 35 hours on v3.02 before the update with no issues. 

Verifying cache and Re-installing the game hasn't helped for me.

Hey everyone,

For those who are experiencing this bug, what platform are you using? (Steam, GOG, Mac Store?) and what version of the game did you start the save on? (3.01, 3.02, 3.03?). It'll help us out determine whats going on.

Thank you for your patience while we try to figure out whats causing this bug. 

I am having this issue as well, It is a new save started on 3.03 on the steam version of the game, missing White Marches 2. I managed to get him into my party for just a moment and, as someone else above mentioned, he had a line speaking of "Missing level -1- ability" in his character sheet but it crashed me before I could get a screenshot. 

Edit: Welp, tried seeing if getting WM2 would fix it for me. This is the result. 

VTQt4N2.png

Edited by ShadesofEternity

So does the game work fine with the White marches expansions? I'm considering buying the damn things so i can play further.

I don't know how you call it in other country's but i'm on my "yearly 2 week holiday from work" and pillars was kinda my gameplan for those weeks :/

So does the game work fine with the White marches expansions? I'm considering buying the damn things so i can play further.

I don't know how you call it in other country's but i'm on my "yearly 2 week holiday from work" and pillars was kinda my gameplan for those weeks :/

As far as I can tell, the druid himself remains corrupted (he now has no weapons, armor, and two sets of all abilities) but adding and removing him from the party after one reload works fine. I'm going to sack 5 hours of play and check an earlier save to see if he's similarly broken there. 

Edit: Checked the older save. Even with WM2 he is broken as he was before. 

Edited by ShadesofEternity

As far as I can tell, the druid himself remains corrupted (he now has no weapons, armor, and two sets of all abilities) but adding and removing him from the party after one reload works fine. I'm going to sack 5 hours of play and check an earlier save to see if he's similarly broken there. 

Edit: Checked the older save. Even with WM2 he is broken as he was before. 

I tried restarting the game a couple of times, now but i haven't saved & loaded the game yet after i "added" him. I'll try that tommorow.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

We nailed this issue down. Discovered it has to do with the 'auto-level up' feature with the base game. We mistakenly added px2 abilities to certain characters progression tables when they auto-level up that they do not have access to. If you disable this feature in the options menu you can bypass the bug. We are however trying to get a fix, though I have no exact date when it will release.

Sorry

-Sking

• Like 6

Hey everyone,

We nailed this issue down. Discovered it has to do with the 'auto-level up' feature with the base game. We mistakenly added px2 abilities to certain characters progression tables when they auto-level up that they do not have access to. If you disable this feature in the options menu you can bypass the bug. We are however trying to get a fix, though I have no exact date when it will release.

Sorry

-Sking

Disabling that setting seems to fix the issue of adding and switching party members.  However, it seems like it spawns a Hiravias clone in my Caed Nua map (both outside and in Brighthollow).  I haven't checked other maps yet.  You can talk to this clone Hiravias but he does not move.  It also creates a marker in the map with the name Hiravias in it.

Also, the Hiravias that I add into my party is missing all his items and goes back to the default armor when you first recruit him.

Hey everyone,

Sorry

-Sking

This has worked for me. I dissabled that feature, recruit the guy and then ennabled the feature again and the game seems to run fine again ^_^

Had no problem recruiting the mother though

I have the same bug I was running on GOG without the 303 patch. I've been loving the game so I bought both DLC to fix it since I was anxious to get back o playing. I sorta wish I had read the rest of the thread, oh well guess I had a decent excuse for buying DLC.

So I tried turning off the auto leveling but I had already recruited hiravias so it didn't work. but I had already bought both DLC packs I just hadn't installed them, so after the installation I'm good to go everything seems fine except that the "in party"and "in combat" time counter for hiravias is still the same value.

I've got 3.03.1047 through Steam without WM1 or 2 on Windows but I've been having the same problem as listed. I've now unticked the auto-level option but I still have the problem due to Hiravias being in my party. While trying to get rid of him from my party, the game has not only duplicated him but also added him to the active party twice despite him not being a part of the party.

I've also noticed this with Durance, minus the duplication. Both characters occasionally get phantom level up symbols in the corner, which leads you to the level up screen and a message about missing ability #1, et cetera.

Fortunately I have a save just before this broke the game but it's getting very irritating.

post-165691-0-66733800-1469471477_thumb.jpg

post-165691-0-76843700-1469471421_thumb.jpg

Getting the Durance bug.  He is a ghost in the Fork and clothed in the middle of Caed Nua.  Can chat to him in Caed Nua but he is no longer in any party screen.  Tried turning off auto leveling and also installed WM1. No love.  Don't want to continue on if I will lose my progress with a patch.

Hi all, I've got a version of this bug. I got my version of pillars through gog version 3.03. I've been having problems with Hiravias. It's now in the state, I can't dismiss Hiravias from my party and when I look at trying back at the castle, I see Hiravias in my party and another in the selectible set too.

Also, can change other members of party but not Hiravias.

He's turned up in the grounds of the castle and on other places in the world, whether he is in the party or not. But, now very frustrated since I can't dismiss him at all.

output_log.txt

Edited by squird1

I've got the same problem when attempting to change party members, but for me it started after recruiting the Grieving Mother. I returned to Caed Nua to re-add Sha but found that I couldn't change my party anymore. I'm also unable to access the Barracks in the stronghold -- I get the "returned to main menu to prevent save game corruption" error. The output_log shows the following errors at the tail end:

ERROR: Charged_Spellbind_Biting_Winds_Ability(Clone) doesn't have an associated prefab. Trying to recreate from known data, this object may not work correctly.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GenericAbility.Restored () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj, Boolean delayed) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Persistence.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at StoredCharacterInfo.RestoreCharacter (Boolean keepPacked) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Stronghold.RestoreCompanionToNode (Guid guid, UnityEngine.GameObject point) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.ActivateNode (Guid companionGuid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.PlaceCompanion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.LevelLoaded (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.EventHandler:invoke_void__this___object_EventArgs (object,System.EventArgs)
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.EventHandler:invoke_void__this___object_EventArgs (object,System.EventArgs)
  at GameState.FinalizeLevelLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
GameState:FinalizeLevelLoad()
LevelStartWrapperExit:Update()

I've tried disabling auto-level up, but that didn't help. Another interesting thing: I tried swapping Grieving Mother for Sha a few times and, after a couple of attempts, it started to show Sha as a Barbarian instead of a Cipher.

If I just go straight to the party maintenance screen and attempt to add Sha (or any other character), I get:

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj, Boolean delayed) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at StoredCharacterInfo.RestoreCharacter (Boolean keepPacked) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Stronghold.RestoreCompanion (Guid guid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Stronghold.CompanionActivation (Guid guid, Boolean active) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIPartyManager.Hide (Boolean forced) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIHudWindow.HideWindow (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I do not have either White March expansions installed, and I'd prefer not to be forced to purchase them to play the base game.

In both errors above, the source seems to be attempting to load one of the characters from disk (StoredCharacteInfo.RestoreCharacter()). Based on prior comments, I'm assuming that's due to the introduction of WM2 abilities that the base game doesn't understand, resulting in an error.

Would love to see a patch for this -- this is a breaking issue for me as I'd prefer not to play on with a subset of characters and never be able to swap them.

output_log.txt

I've got the same problem when attempting to change party members, but for me it started after recruiting the Grieving Mother. I returned to Caed Nua to re-add Sha but found that I couldn't change my party anymore. I'm also unable to access the Barracks in the stronghold -- I get the "returned to main menu to prevent save game corruption" error. The output_log shows the following errors at the tail end:

ERROR: Charged_Spellbind_Biting_Winds_Ability(Clone) doesn't have an associated prefab. Trying to recreate from known data, this object may not work correctly.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

at Stronghold.RestoreCompanionToNode (Guid guid, UnityEngine.GameObject point) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CompanionStrongholdNode.ActivateNode (Guid companionGuid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CompanionStrongholdNode.LevelLoaded (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I've tried disabling auto-level up, but that didn't help. Another interesting thing: I tried swapping Grieving Mother for Sha a few times and, after a couple of attempts, it started to show Sha as a Barbarian instead of a Cipher.

If I just go straight to the party maintenance screen and attempt to add Sha (or any other character), I get:

at Stronghold.CompanionActivation (Guid guid, Boolean active) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I do not have either White March expansions installed, and I'd prefer not to be forced to purchase them to play the base game.

In both errors above, the source seems to be attempting to load one of the characters from disk (StoredCharacteInfo.RestoreCharacter()). Based on prior comments, I'm assuming that's due to the introduction of WM2 abilities that the base game doesn't understand, resulting in an error.

Would love to see a patch for this -- this is a breaking issue for me as I'd prefer not to play on with a subset of characters and never be able to swap them.

The "Charged_Spellbind_Biting_Winds_Ability" in the error is the Chanter invocation "So Singt thy Biting Winds o' Eld Nary". Tier IV, level 14+.

Try to disable auto-level up, load a level 13 savegame, manually level up Kana?

I've come to burn your kingdom down

The "Charged_Spellbind_Biting_Winds_Ability" in the error is the Chanter invocation "So Singt thy Biting Winds o' Eld Nary". Tier IV, level 14+.

Try to disable auto-level up, load a level 13 savegame, manually level up Kana?

Thanks for the suggestion, Suen. I tried disabling the auto-level up feature with no effect. And if you're referring to character levels, I'm only at 9th level, so all of my games are < level 14. I did try loading a few past games to no avail, and I'm only willing to lose so many hours of gameplay to recover from this bug (especially with no promise it won't recur).

Could you share a savegame? (through sendspace/dropbox/any service you like)

(It's mostly just out of curiosity - I think to fix this you'll need a developer fix).

Savegames location:

Savegames

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Mac Location: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: ~/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Edited by Suen

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Same issue here.

I had no issues with the original 6 member party (main character, eder, kana, durance, aloth and sagani) and even 2 companions I created but as soon as I recruited Hiravias I noticed I wasn't able to replace Kana (or the others) with him. If I tried too hard I would just end up with a 5 member party.

Same happened when I found Grieving Mother soon after.

I just gave up and will continue with the original party but it's a real shame I can't explore the other characters (hope nothing else happens).

I'm level 7 by the way.