A real and unexpected problem for South Africa

BruceVC

I'm not sure - regardless of the background circumstances involved - that killing an entire family could be accurately described as "acting out".

So to explain in more detail, the worst crimes and unbelievable violence in SA is committed by a small percentage of black people  who dont understand the reality of the country and have literally lost any sense of moral compass or compunction

When these guys are interviewed after being caught they almost in all cases have the same background and reality

Uneducated, unemployed and a complete lack of human emotions. This is not normal and Apartheid absolutely created or contributed towards this type of lack of humanity 

Its not an excuse, this is the result of 50 years of trying to mentally rewire people 

Bruce, you're going to have to explain to me how a thing that ended a long time ago is affecting people that were born afterwards.

Apartheid lasted 50 years, it only ended 27 years ago

But for those 50 years the following terrible injustices were inflicted on black people, Apartheid was truly horrendous  Orog, it wasnt just about separation of the races. It was a scientific experiment designed to rewire the psyche of black people. Another 15 years and they may have succeeded...the list is just some of the things the Apartheid system  did 

• The black family structure was stripped apart, fathers had to work hundreds of miles away in mines and the children were raised by grandparents or moms
  • There was a state concerted effort to not educate black people or to educate them as little as possible, Hendrik Verwoerd said " There is no place for (the Bantu) in the European community above the level of certain forms of labour  " 

• The Apartheid state encouraged black men to believe they were superior to black women, this institution was called the Patriarchy  https://siyandawrites.com/2012/08/19/patriarchy-is-the-parasite-that-african-culture-must-rid-itself-of-in-order-to-survive/
  • A very effective and brutal police force and a highly trained military ensured there was no real  effective forceful resistance 

I can say with 100 % certainty that no one on this forum could be subjected to this type of mental and physical system and come out after 50 years normal and mentally stable ....you will have some  form of mental ailment. We call this sickness the Apartheid Trauma 

So some black people who suffer from this will commit the most horrendous and violent acts  and crimes yet as I said they cannot explain why they did it, they have this strange state of confusions about them all the time 

Its like they actually died during Apartheid and only a shell is left behind .......an automaton 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So the "acting out" only occurs with those raised during Apartheid and the resultant "trauma"?

Look I dont want to exaggerate but we do have an almost unnatural level of crime but acting out and trauma are relative words

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We can leave those words out. You are saying apartheid is the reason for many crimes. In the absense of apartheid (last 27 years) then this current generation should not be affected. It would be interesting to see the crime statistics. Are most crimes committed by those over ~37 years old?

• Like 1

I would think that those in power (or just the ruling class whether they actively participated or not) during apartheid and their children would have some pretty big advantages through generations of preferential treatment just as many of those who were oppressed (and their children) would still be severely disadvantaged to this day.

Since crime and poverty tend to go hand in hand it's not really that surprising that it's so bad there. Especially when the vast majority is the underclass

What's the solution? I dunno, maybe there isn't one

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think in retrospect that my misreading of - and thus confusion over - Bruce's post is because of the term "act out".

The US usually has it meaning something like "behaving badly" and often in reference to children, so the use of the term seemed both inappropriate for the severity of action and perhaps a little patronizing.

But as I thought about it more, I think its clear that he really meant either "to translate to action" or perhaps "to behave in a socially unacceptable often self-defeating manner especially as a means of venting painful emotions".

The fun of the English language.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

We can leave those words out. You are saying apartheid is the reason for many crimes. In the absense of apartheid (last 27 years) then this current generation should not be affected. It would be interesting to see the crime statistics. Are most crimes committed by those over ~37 years old?

I would think that those in power (or just the ruling class whether they actively participated or not) during apartheid and their children would have some pretty big advantages through generations of preferential treatment just as many of those who were oppressed (and their children) would still be severely disadvantaged to this day.

Since crime and poverty tend to go hand in hand it's not really that surprising that it's so bad there. Especially when the vast majority is the underclass

What's the solution? I dunno, maybe there isn't one

Yes so Shady is right in his assessment 

Even  some black children born out of Apartheid could suffer from the  Apartheid legacy and be born in poverty.

But  I am not suggesting all black people born in poverty commit crime, its always a smalll percentage of people. But there is always  a solution, you will definitely reduce many levels of crime by reducing poverty. So there a link between some  crime in SA and poverty 

John Milton 

Here is one crime statistic link, I am not sure if you think this a severe amount of crime as I'm not sure what you think would be normal

http://businesstech.co.za/news/government/99648/2015-crime-stats-for-south-africa-everything-you-need-to-know/

John Milton 

Thanks for the link but I was more interested in the average age of the perpetrators. You claim that apartheid is the genesis for this behavior but it seems to be just regular ole crime for regular ole reasons. :shrugz:

Okay I see your point, yes of course we cant blame all crime on Apartheid because I imagine certain types of violent crime should naturally reduce as time goes on because these  perpetrators would get older and I do believe the worst crime is committed by people who actually lived through Apartheid

And theoretically as time goes on the whole Apartheid legacy should get less and less 

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

BruceVC must prepare his *****. Malema have good chances to win presidental elections in SA.

image-995803-breitwandaufmacher-wfee-995

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/suedafrika-oppositionspolitiker-julius-malema-rivale-rebell-rassist-a-1093064.html

Bruce, do you choose country for migration/flee? Where do you want to live - EU, US, or maybe some Middle Eastern country? 

The guy in the photo does indeed represent a left wing and populist political movement but they only won 8 % of the vote in our local election 2 days ago

I doubt I will ever have to leave SA but I could easily immigrate to the UK, we have family links so citizenship isn't a problem 

John Milton 

The guy in the photo does indeed represent a left wing and populist political movement but they only won 8 % of the vote in our local election 2 days ago

I doubt I will ever have to leave SA but I could easily immigrate to the UK, we have family links so citizenship isn't a problem 

But UK is not part of EU!  Bruce, how you can betray your democratic ideals so easy?

But UK is not part of EU!  Bruce, how you can betray your democratic ideals so easy?

I am very loyal to the EU but I'm more loyal to the UK 

John Milton 

"What's the solution? I dunno, maybe there isn't one"

The solution according to Clint Eastwood is to just deal with it.

I heard what Eastwood said, it was insensitive and irrelevant 

He should try to refrain from these types of comments and having dialogues with empty chairs 

John Milton