Psychic Backlash bug: Cipher use it on himself at the begining of battle

reizy

Question

18 answers to this question

It's not specific to that armor.

Here's a save with the problem.

Edit: In an 'interesting' twist, the bug is gone in the first combat after a reload, but then returns... but not always.

This self Psychic Backlash doesn't preclude the 'normal' Psychic Backlash.

It doesn't always show up in the combat log and seems to be able to happen more than once per combat.

Edited by deisum

Same here =/

I thought she was going nuts or that my main character did something wrong because she mentioned him ("watcher") in a weird and kinda negative way. But no, just a bug.

In my case specifically, It started after I first visited Pearlwood Bluff and it happened at the start of almost every battle. Really annoying.

I'm also having this problem. I was fighting a group of knights on my third playthrough and thought "what, they have a cipher??? How come I never noticed that?"

As I can see the bug happens only when class AI is enabled.

Same here. It seems it stopped after I disabled the AI, not that I knew about it.

sign.jpg

Guest Matt Sheets

Can anyone post up some saves where they're getting this issue consistently?

I'm unable to reproduce it with internally nor with the save that deisum attached.

The next time you get this issue, please post up your output log.

Can anyone post up some saves where they're getting this issue consistently?

I'm unable to reproduce it with internally nor with the save that deisum attached.

The next time you get this issue, please post up your output log.

I just experienced this issue.  Here is my output log.

output_log.txt

Unfortunately I can confirm this bug too, and it's indeed *very* annoying. After reading here, I checked Grieving Mother, and she is wearing Hirbel's armour. Beginning of battle, Aloth casts Chill Fog, and instantly Grieving Mother is stunned by the so-called enemy targeted Psychic Backlash. As far as I can see, no enemies have even taken damage yet. Guess I need to re-spec her now, especially if picking off that armour won't fix it.

Gotta say, there are still some fairly serious bugs in 3.03 :( I've been thinking about picking up Kana and take him down a few floors to the cracked tablet, but am worried party recruitment will then be messed up. Not a good place to be.

https://i.imgur.com/EXL0CcE.jpg

Player.log is absolutely massive, 1.6MB (over 31000 lines). With a gajillion lines of:

Garment01_V01_T_HD_HD cannot be loaded because the asset bundle type is not supported!

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Helm33_V01_C_HD_HD cannot be loaded because the asset bundle type is not supported!

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

What does this mean? Looks like loads of things aren't being initialised/loaded, yet the game actually plays well.

edit: I was going to upload the savefile, but tried to reload it first. Didn't happen. Went through a couple more fights, and didn't happen then either. Weird. But that would explain why the issues doesn't show up when Matt Sheets tried the earlier attached save.

Player.log.zip

Edited by PangaeaACDC

Damnit. A little later, and it happened again :(

This was on a lower floor of the Endless Paths, so maybe it re-activates when you come to a new area after loading the save? Just a thought. This time Aloth didn't even get off his Chill Fog. As soon as combat starts, Grieving Mother is instantly stunned.

http://i.imgur.com/NirESYP.jpg

Based on deisum's save I have been able to consistently reproduce the bug. As far as I've been able to determine, it happens when in a first combat Psychic Backlash is triggered (normally). This then leads to it triggering at the beginning of the next combat, immediately after it starts. It is not dependent on AI settings, the only requirement seems to be just the Psychic Backlash triggering in the previous combat. It is also erased by reloading. If you have a combat where Psychic Backlash triggered and save immediately afterwards, then walk into a next combat the bug will manifest. But if you then reload the save you just made and walk into the same next combat, it will not.

I've uploaded a save here from which it can easily be reproduced: https://www.sendspace.com/file/j88st2. This is just deisum's save advanced slightly to get it to a convenient testing point. To produce the bug, do the following: immediately after loading the save, move up and left with the protagonist Cipher and Pallegina while stealthed. You'll want to avoid the Blight moving up and down the North-South corridor there to get to the druid to the left; but from the save, if you start moving immediately you miss the Blight and get to the druid at a spot where you can fight him without the Blight seeing it.

Once you reach the druid, unstealth the Cipher and start blunderbussing (AI is off, so that's all you'll be doing); Pallegina's just there to remove any annoying Blights the druid might summon with her Abjuration ability, she doesn't need to do anything otherwise. In most cases the druid will fairly quickly get to casting Nature's Mark, triggering Psychic Backlash (normally). Finish off the druid and wait for the combat mode to end.

Save the game, then move the Cipher back right and up to the Blight that's patrolling there. Right after combat mode starts now Psychic Backlash will trigger, targetting the Cipher herself. Load the save game you just made, again move the Cipher to the Blight to initiate combat again; this time the Psychic Backlash will not trigger.

Note also that in some occasions I did this same thing but the druid only cast a series of damage spells before dying (still only blunderbussing, no spells cast) so the Psychic Backlash never triggered in that combat. In this case it also never triggered when starting combat with the Blight, effectively confirming the hypothesis that it is specifically the earlier Psychic Backlash trigger. I also repeated after first removing all equipment (except Lead Spitter) from the Cipher and turning off all modals on her and Pallegina, bug still happened, so it's not an interaction with some item either.

Cipher stun himself by Psychic Backlash at the begining of battle. Also looks like it depends on Hirbel's Protective Skin...

I have the same problem, since I got Psychic backslash she get stun for 5-7 seconds at the beginning of each fight, it haven't yet been fixed on PS4, I will reset her quickly...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...