US Election 2016, part III

Pidesco

Yeah, Guard Dog, I see your tag line and I fancy myself more or less a libertarian also.  I've always figured the goverment should see to the border and by and large stay out of my personal affairs, from budget to bedroom.  I've still been more or less happy with most of the Republican candidates over the years.  I even saw some value to W on a personal level, although I thought he spent money too freely.  With Trump, we've entered the realm of **** politics where candidates brag about the size of their members and memberships in the same breath.  On the other side, you have Clinton who is as corrupt as a three dollar bill, has the morals of a two bit prostitute, and lacks a single scruple.  One of these people is going to win, and I'm either going to support Trump or do something I haven't done in my adult life.  Not vote for president.  Either one is enough to bring a grown man to tears.

If worse comes to worse, write in Yosemite Sam and don't cry.

• Like 1

I went to the Reagan library this Friday past.  If I were to write in a name, I might as well write in the name of a real cowboy trivialized as a cartoon by his political foes than cartoon cowboy, even though either the ghost of the real cowboy or the current cartoon would do better than the choices today.

Anyhow, the trump hysteria and panic is delightfully overstated to the point of comedy.  I can't abide the guy, but he's certainly not Hitler.  And even if I decide that I can't support him, I also don't think Republicans should try to ditch him as a candidate.  If you hate him that much, have the guts and integrity to change parties like some of the people here.  Don't try to subvert the primary process that yielded him as a candidate.

However, I will get a huge kick out of it if Donald Trump wins.  Not because I wanted him out of all the choices, but because I know some Dems wanted him to win the primary because they thought he couldn't win the general.  I personally believe that if the polls are even remotely close going in, he's going to win.

He's already picked up a very important endorsement!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm already polling ahead of the Green Party!

Who isn't?

You want real movement?  Hire me as your campaign manager.  I'm tight with the intellectually challenged Christian fundamentalists and I have a toe hold with the 'meh' generation and the 'none of this crap matters' (NofCM) movement.  Believe me, you can't go wrong with Hastur at the head of your media machine!

I might be able to do that.

Volo is my choice for VP.  I know he's Kanadian, but he's got the charisma and I trust he will smear my opponents while I take the high road.  

GD for Chief of Staff, Grommie for Attorney General, Gfted is Homeland Security, shady is Secretary of State, WoD is in charge of Energy,  Drowsy is my NATO rep.  

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but we can work it out over time.  

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 3

I might be able to do that.

Volo is my choice for VP.  I know he's Kanadian, but he's got the charisma and I trust he will smear my opponents while I take the high road.  

Might be hard to vet Volo since he's apparently foreign born, but if he's a Canadian politician, he's got enough problems of his own up there in the Great White North.  On the other hand, Obama was born in Kenya and Kruse was born in Kanada  Still, I say put him in as Secretary of State in a nod to Kissinger.  Let's see, VP?  Let's look into vetting Valsuelm as part of a unity ticket.  Hasn't been tried in decades, but it might just put us over the top.  Otherwise, try to pry Guard Dog from his libertarian leanings and coopt him into being your running mate.  Tell him not to worry about his tax history.  We'll just instigate an audit and he can put off disclosure until after the election.  Either that or he can say that he put his tax information on his private server and then deleted it.

So, Volo the Canadian for Secretary of State and Valsuelm or Guard Dog for VP.  All we need now for a bare bones cabinet is Sec Defense and AG.  I recuse myself from both positions on the basis of lack of interest, dearth of skill, loss of brain cells, and general malaise.  There must be someone here to fill these rolls, so toss the dice and move your mice.  Remember, the Director of the FBI is on the back burner for now.

Only thing Melania's speech was missing was: "Make sure to buy a copy of my husband's book 'Dreams from My Father.'"

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

What the speech wasn't missing was plagiarizing of a speech by Michelle Obama.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/19/melania-trump-republican-convention-plagiarism-michelle-obama

Also, they took care to include a Rickroll.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/19/melania-trump-republican-convention-plagiarism-michelle-obama

Yes this plagiarism accusation seems  real

Not something the Trump campaign  needs 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Given the rickroll I can only assume Trump's campaign managers are taking the opportunity to troll everyone.

Heja Sverige!!

I have been watching some of the highlights of Republican convention and I have noticed several Republican spokesman saying things like " Hilary Clinton needs to go to jail " , " Hilary Clinton is guilty " 

I am worried I am living in a parallel universe, in the world I believe I live in the FBI decided Hilary and her aides were careless but there is no case for criminal charges

Why are some Republicans  still going on about something where there is no evidence to support it and the FBI has fully investigated this?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/politics/fbi-director-doesnt-recommend-charges-against-hillary-clinton/index.html 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/07/05/james-comey-fbi-hillary-clinton/86702072/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Republican "strategy" has been to double down on everything for a long time. "This thing we did didn't work? We'll do it again like children throwing a tantrum, then."

See Benghazi, for example.

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

"SHOOTERS WITH A MAGAZINE AND TEN ROUNDS TAKE YOUR FIRING POSITIONS. IS THE LINE READY? READY ON THE RIGHT? READY ON THE LEFT? ALL READY ON THE FIRING LINE. SHOOTERS YOU MAY COMMENCE FIRING WHEN YOUR LEFT FOOT APPEARS"

BANG!

"CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE. UNLOAD CLEAR AND LOCK. MAKE A COMPLETE SAFE WEAPON. COACHES CHECK THEM."

Ugh... who doesn't have the sense to proofread and edit a speech prior to giving it to the whole bloody world? Heck I proofread my e-mails before I hit "send". Too bad I didn't watch but the Rays/Rockies game was way more interesting to me than this bit of staged political theater.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The New Yorker ran a decent article about Johnson & Weld: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/gary-johnson-the-third-party-candidate

There is a little snark in it but it is the New Yorker after all.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Ugh... who doesn't have the sense to proofread and edit a speech prior to giving it to the whole bloody world? Heck I proofread my e-mails before I hit "send". Too bad I didn't watch but the Rays/Rockies game was way more interesting to me than this bit of staged political theater.

I literally never proofread until it's too late. So I guess to answer your question, me. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I always proofread what I write and always miss a bunch of things anyway. I'm pretty damn good at proofreading other people's writing, though.

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

The Republican "strategy" has been to double down on everything for a long time. "This thing we did didn't work? We'll do it again like children throwing a tantrum, then."

If that were true they'd still be pushing hard against gay marriage. They seem to be mostly backing off on that front. The sooner they get off that hill the better they'll be.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

If that were true they'd still be pushing hard against gay marriage. They seem to be mostly backing off on that front. The sooner they get off that hill the better they'll be.

:lol:  At this point that would be like the Panthers still insisting they can still beat the Broncos and win the Super Bowl.

Thomas Sowell

But you were the one who correctly pointed a while ago that no serious  US politician will openly be against something like gay marriage, that political horse has thankfully left the barn ages ago 

So I wouldn't expect even the most hardcore Republican populist to raise gay marriage as a serious issue at the Republican Convention but why bring up again this whole " Clinton is a  criminal and should be in jail " when we have just recently had the FBI findings and they found no reason to charge her...its a really strange and concerning form of pandering because it suggests,  amongst other things, certain Republicans dont trust the FBI and there ability to act impartially ?

The suggestion the FBI is corrupt and incompetent is really the last thing the USA needs to now debate, especially when its untrue,  considering all the current social and political issues the psyche of the USA is grappling with like BLM, homegrown terrorism and police getting killed

To still go on about something like this surly is just disingenuous and divisive  ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Well, that might be a bad example. A lot of lies were told by both Hillary Clinton and the administration surrounding that incident. And there is no question they left those men to die. And only because their politics were more important than American lives. That is something that should not be dropped... ever. Not as long as Hillary Clinton seeks public office.

But you are right in the sense they are hammering on some things that are old news. But not this thing.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The suggestion the FBI is corrupt and incompetent is really the last thing the USA needs to now debate, especially when its untrue,  considering all the current social and political issues the psyche of the USA is grappling with like BLM, homegrown terrorism and police getting killed

The FBI has little to do with BLM. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

(edit: removed video to avoid clutter)

as if either one o' them wrote their own speech.  hell, we can find a dozen (dozens?) republican or democratic Congressman from the past decade who sound as if they is reading from the same freaking script.  

am not a trump fan, but this, o' all things, is a non issue for us.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)