I was an original backer of this game, but life got in the way when it came out (had a baby boy) and I haven't been able to play it until now.  I am absolutely thrilled with it including how it looks, how it plays, the level of detail, and so much more.

However, I am frustrated by the fact that I haven't found anything to buy (or through questing) in the way of armor or weapon upgrades.  I have been to about 7 areas on the map, completed quite a few quests, and I am still basically using the same gear I had at level 1.  I am level 5 now.  What am I doing wrong?  I am not new to RPG's as I've been playing them on the computer or a console for 30 years.  I just think maybe there's something I'm missing.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated as long as it's not too spoiler-ish.

Thanks a bunch and thanks to Obsidian for making a kick ass game.  I can't wait to try out Tyranny as well.

Like D&D, gear progression is not an endless drop of "armor +50 / +51 / +52...", so that when you find a new weapon or armour you are really excited, it has a clear visual change, and it changes the efficiency of your character, etc.

You shouldn't expect to have all the equipment slots filled out for all characters in Act 1, but you should have found quite a few notable magical items? E.g. Fine armours, couple of unique weapons?

I'd upgrade your weapons and armor yourself early game if you want them enchanted, other than that the smith in Gilded Vale sells some nifty unique items (do his quest for a discount) and later in act 1 you can go to another village which has a decent stock of interesting items (though some people head straight to Defiance Bay and trigger act 2 first).

Given that you're capped at level 16 with the expansions, character development tends to be a slow process which takes time. This trend is also reflected in your item choices, so as Tigranes said don't expect cool items to be dropping all the time.

Gilded Vale blacksmith sells Hold-Wall arbalest, some regard it as highly rate for ranged/Cipher, also a dagger with jolting touch is there too, there is a flail called Guan's Share in Temple of Eothas (Gilded vale) with draining stat, Persistence is in Caed Nua level 4, considered best hunting bow in the game by some, to name a few.