Collapsed ceiling "First exploration"

Urtar37

Question

Collapsed ceiling says "If undefeated, display this card next to the location deck. Characters at this location encounter this card as their FIRST exploration of the turn. I had Amiri at the Clock tower with this barrier and i failed to defeat it. Then I used my Soldier to explore again because I knew that it would not have me encounter the ceiling, yet it had me encounter the ceiling anyway, even though it was not the first exploration of the turn

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

Funny, I've not noticed it on other barriers! Probably because I either defeat the barrier, or spend cards doing so and fail - so I don't take another explore. It's amazing how often I add one or two dice to a check to make sure I pass and then fail the check by 1! Dice, don't you just hate them?

I am not sure this is a bug in the game, it may be a problem with the wording of the cards.

The written text implies you can circumvent the barrier on your second exploration, as it explicitly states "on your first exploration". But the way it works (and the way we did it when playing the card game) is that you have to encounter the barrier on any exploration (first, second,...), as long as it is not defeated.

Makes sense to me, the passage is still blocked on your second exploration (assuming you did not defeat it on your first exploration). But then the text should be changed, maybe "Characters at this location encounter this card when exploring." 

But as the wording is quite explicit, we may just have played it wrong.