What is the highest crit you have ever done? What item / spell / ability combination did you do to achieve it? I recently got into this game and I can already see the potential for crits over 1k if properly managed. Granted, getting these crits are overkill and not optimal play, but I'm just curious to see how high I can get it.

I imagine Barbarian or Rogue is the way to go along with Death Godlike w/ all the low endurance combos. Human with low endurance and Fighting Spirit and a good Helmet may also be fine. On top of this spells that increase damage and decrease DR on enemy to 0.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Can't exactly remeber the number but a guy had his max hit was linked in his signature and it wasa either a 700+ or even a 1700+. ;)

Rogue has obviously the highest max hit (guy used a rogue, too) idk why you say barbarian, tho?

Actually, in terms of potential maximum I think a paladin with Flames of Devotion can give the rogue a run for his money, since those lash-type bonuses are based on total weapon damage whereas damage multipliers like you get from crit work from base weapon damage. So at +X% damage, a Paladin with FoD and Intense Flames would in practice do 75% + 1.75*X% bonus damage. So if we suppose just a simple scenario with +50% crit and +50% assorted other (might, etc.), the Paladin effectively gets a +250% bonus. Thus, a rogue would need to do get additional unique +150% to keep up; which is certainly doable of course, but it does illustrate how quickly that big FoD lash bonus starts to add up. Add in Rakhan Field and you're up to +300% already, with every additional +Y% damage bonus effectively counting double for the paladin. 

We have to determine if we mean damage per attack (also counting AoE damage) or single target damage rolls only. Things like Direballs from a rogue, Torment's Reach from a dual wielding monk or Heart of Fury from a dual wielding barb can deal a lot of damage per attack, but not necessarily per hit. Do DoT spells/abilities also count?

A chanter with the burning lash on, Secret of Rime and Seven Nights can deal ridicoulous damage when he manages to hit a lot of foes - most of them with three bolts each.

Highest AoE damage can be achieved with Combusting Wounds + White Worms I think. You only need to pile up a lot of bodies in front of a chokepoint, cast Combusting Wounds on the incoming crowd an cast White Worms and BOOM - everything is dead - including your headphones. Whenever I have a chanter Raedric gets one-shotted. Same with Concelhaut and friends...

But I guess you mean single target non-DoT hits...

I once tried out Backstab-Deathblow-crits with Firebrand and all the +crit damage weapons and talents as well as Scion of Flame. I can't remember the numbers though, but is was impressive.

I tried to combine this with Finishing Blow, but it didn't work: I got 2 damage - yeah, 2! WTF? :lol: If this worked it would be the highest single crit ysou could score I guess.

A Bleak Walker with all the FoD talents, including Scion of FLame and Spirit of Decay, shooting with a Blunderbuss against 0 DR could deal very high crits, too.

But I think a rogue with a spell that has very high base damage could rule them all. +200% damage (without MIG and elemental booster talent) on a crit with a high damage spell is hard to overcome.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe you won't. Guns deal less crit damage than other weapons. I think that Firebrand (has Annihilation) with Scion of Flame should result in higher crits. Sure, it lacks the lash and you can't enchant it to legendary, but it comes with damaging III (like superb) and works with Scion of Flame. Plus: +15% from Two Weapon Style and +20% from Reckless Assault. Ok, that's not so much, but it still adds some damage. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Maybe you won't. Guns deal less crit damage than other weapons. I think that Firebrand (has Annihilation) with Scion of Flame should result in higher crits. Sure, it lacks the lash and you can't enchant it to legendary, but it comes with damaging III (like superb) and works with Scion of Flame. Plus: +15% from Two Weapon Style and +20% from Reckless Assault. Ok, that's not so much, but it still adds some damage. ;)

Forgot about that guns have a negative crit factored in.

How does wounding work? Does wounding stack DOT of the entire amount of damage done?

Eg if you did 100 total damage that included lash, sneak attack would you do 25 DOT?

Yeah, Firebrand definitely wins that. From the weapon itself you get +145% damage, compared to +75% for legendary arquebus. Also, Firebrand has better base damage (29-44) than arquebus (24-36), which is equivalent to about +20% damage. With Scion of Flames and fire lash on arquebus the total damage is post-multiplied by 1.2 vs 1.3 so that gives a slight advantage to the arquebus. However, there would need to be about +825% *additional* bonus damage from somewhere for that to compensate for the lower total damage the arquebus has to begin with.

So doing the math on that... let's assume there are an assorted +65% damage from might, 2H style, etc., +145% from Firebrand crit, and +300% from Sneak+Deathblows+Backstab for a nice +500%. Add in x1.2 from Scion, and you get final damage = 7.2x(base damage) = 209 - 317 damage. Which is nice :-

However, for Paladin the weapon damage (with the same +200% damage and Scion) is already 3.6x(base damage) as well. FoD + Intense Flames effectively adds a 1.9x multiplier on that for 6.84x(base damage), close to the rogue. Add Rakhan Fields + Spirit of Decay and the multiplier goes to 2.2, for 7.92x(base damage) = 230 - 348 damage. The rogue would need an additional +60% rogue-specific damage bonus to compensate. Despite the large rogue-specific bonuses, the much larger post-multiplier for the Paladin means that every +10% damage bonus is worth +12% for the rogue, but +26.4% for the Paladin. 

How does wounding work? Does wounding stack DOT of the entire amount of damage done?

Eg if you did 100 total damage that included lash, sneak attack would you do 25 DOT?

Basically, you need to consider four damage numbers:

- base damage: damage before +X% bonuses; this is a specific property of the weapon (or spell)

- total damage (A): base damage with +X% bonuses applied

- total damage (B): total damage (B) with damage type bonuses (like Scion of Flames) applied

- dealt damage: total damage (B) reduced by the target's DR.

The +X% damage bonuses are all calculated from the base damage. These are *additive*: you just add up the total damage percentage, and apply that. So if you have two +100% bonuses you get a +200% bonus, and you do three times the base damage. This number is total damage (A).

If applicable, this number is multiplied by damage type bonuses like Scion. Because this is applied after the +X% bonuses, on weapons like Firebrand can up to rather a lot. The resulting number is total damage (B).

Lashes (including Flames of Devotion) and weapon-damage-specific DoTs like Wounding Shot and Enduring Flames are based on this total damage (B), which means they implicitly benefit from all the +X% damage and damage type bonuses applied to the original base weapon damage. They don't interact with each other though, so Wounding Shot won't get any additional benefit from a Lash on the weapon. 

Note also that things like Lashes also benefit from any damage type bonuses like Scion where applicable, even if the weapon itself already benefitted from it. So if you use Firebrand and get a total damage (A) of 100, then Scion of Flame will bump this up to 120 damage. A Flames of Devotion off of that hit will then do 60 x 1.2 is 72 damage. Without Scion the FoD would have only done 50 damage, so effectively it confers a +44% damage bonus on the FoD in such a case (applies with Durance's staff as well by the way, but only if the target has Fire DR < Crushing DR). 

(and yes, I do rather like numbers; it's an occupational hazard  :grin:)

Edited by Loren Tyr

Thanks for the feedback everyone, but does anyone remember an actual high crit number you got in your playthrough? The game saves the highest crit you ever got with each character. So far mine is 648 but I haven't even hit level 16 yet nor finished everything before Act III and I haven't min / maxed much.

Yes I mean single target crit. Not AOE crit, or DPS, or anything else like that.

So below is something I'd like to start, feel free to give feedback. I don't know a lot about the game yet so feel free to teach me what else can improve the damage.

Human Rogue 

Assumptions

• 0 DR Enemy at Low Endurance
  • Use the best two-handed weapon possible
  • Use stealth to get into Backstab Range

Damage Bonuses

• Backstab - 150%
  • Deathblows - 100%
  • Finishing Blow - 100%
  • Devastating Blow - ??%
  • 45 Might - 105% (I haven't figured out how to get this high of MIght on my rogue yet, but assuming you can...)
  • Two-Handed Style - 25% 
  • Savage Attack - 20% 
  • Fighting Spirit - 15%
  • Others?

Crit Bonuses

• Base - 50%
  • Bloody Slaughter - 50%
  • Others?

Other Potential / Situational Bonuses

• Scion of the Flame (I assume one of these utility talents will help, depending on the secondary damage type)
  • Others?

Companion Buffs

• I imagine there are some here but I don't know of them. Any ideas?

As I said: Finishing Blow doesn't seem to work with Backstab and Deathblows. I got ridiculously low damage numbers when I tried that. Maybe they fixed it - it was some patches ago.

To backstab with firebrand you have to use an invisibility ability and if you try to use other abilities (like finishing blow) it will cancel the invisibility and you won't get a backstab. You can backstab and use finishing blow at the same time only from stealth - which is possible with the arquebus. The arquebus can also be durganized which nullifies the critical hit penalty.

With the arquebus you get:

+30% multiplicative dmg from lash+talent

+10% more dmg from legendary bonus

+10% dmg cloak with ranged dmg bonus 

+50% dmg from devastating blow bonus and up to 250% multiplicative bonus from finishing+devastating blow + more dmg from Killer's Work gloves (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78239-abilities-various-other-damage-related-mechanics-revealed/?p=1693768)

With firebrand you get instead

+20% dmg from scion of flame

+15% dmg from two handed style

+20% dmg from reckless assault

+50% critical dmg from annihilation

And to what was already said you can add also:

+40% flanking damage (resting +item)

+30% multiplicative dmg (chant)

+50% crit dmg (merciless hand+dungeon delver+item)

Aumauas/dwarves can reach in theory 21(base)+3(talents)+4(item)+3(resting)+2(whore)+10(champion's boon)=43

Humans can reach 42 and godlike 41. Since you can't use stealth and fighting spirit at the same time you have to pick a death godlike for his death's usher which works with finishing blow.

Also you can't get +3mig from resting if you want the 30%flanking bonus...

The biggest hit with firebrand will be probably in the 500-600range, while the arquebus should be able to hit over 1200+.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

Actually, the +20% from Scion of Flame doesn't work like a regular +X% damage, it is a genuine multiplier. So for Firebrand, you first compute the damage after applying all regular +X% damage bonuses, and *that* gets multiplied by 1.2.

You can have 45 MIG without the prostitute bonus if you wield the soulbound hammer.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Actually, the +20% from Scion of Flame doesn't work like a regular +X% damage, it is a genuine multiplier. So for Firebrand, you first compute the damage after applying all regular +X% damage bonuses, and *that* gets multiplied by 1.2.

No. It's just a weapon doing elemental damage - the 20% is added to the other bonuses. For spells too, the 20% bonus is added to the mig bonus...

Edited by Kaylon

To backstab with firebrand you have to use an invisibility ability and if you try to use other abilities (like finishing blow) it will cancel the invisibility and you won't get a backstab. 

I tried this some time ago when the neverending invisibility bug of the Cape of the Master Mystic was not fixed yet. So I was able to use Finishing Blow while being invisible. But as I said: it didn't work. I got some really weird numbers then. Somebody should try (with an arquebus) if this is still the case.

To backstab with firebrand you have to use an invisibility ability and if you try to use other abilities (like finishing blow) it will cancel the invisibility and you won't get a backstab. 

I tried this some time ago when the neverending invisibility bug of the Cape of the Master Mystic was not fixed yet. So I was able to use Finishing Blow while being invisible. But as I said: it didn't work. I got some really weird numbers then. Somebody should try (with an arquebus) if this is still the case.

Well, from stealth it certainly works...

post-151551-0-51723900-1467689891_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cool - thnaks for testing. Maybe that got fixed or my game had a hickup when I tested this. It was around 2.03. Are special abilities like Blinding Strike now also working with Backstab? Because back then they didn't trigger Backstabs but only did "normal" damage - even if I was stealthed or buggy-cape-invisible. 

Last time I tested (3.03 beta; I think that was after the intermediate beta update, but not 100% sure) Backstab more or less worked with Strike abilities. That is to say, Stealth + Backstab + Strike works, but Shadowing Beyond + Backstab + Strike does not; you get the Strike but not the Backstab (I didn't test it, but presumably this applies to all invisibility effects). In addition, Stealth + Backstab + Strike + dual-wielding half works: you get the Strike effect on two attacks, but the Backstab only on the second of those two; this seems to be related to the fact that when using these types of abilities the off-hand attacks first (so the Backstab on the second attack is actually with the main hand weapon). 

The highest damage can be done vs vessels/specters because of the bartender ring. You can also pick ghost hunter/sanctifier talent and enchant the arquebus with slaying spirit/vessel for even more dmg. With all that I think it might be possible to reach even 1300dmg.

Hm, wouldn't a blunderbuss be able to do higher damage than an arquebus? At least in theory? Of course it's more unlikely that you crit with all six projectiles and you need to shoot a foe that has not too high DR - but in theory the damage should be higher, shouldn't it? Or is this not counted as one single crit but six different ones?

Edited by Boeroer

Yeah - I wasn't sure if the game treats blunderbuss shots as a single hit when it comes to the "highest damage dealt" or "highest crit" (or what it's called) statistics. 

Edited by Boeroer