Concern at the state of the game

Not gonna argue if you think dissapointment and predicting the game to flop is not negative.

Said my piece to hopefully sway potential new players about "state of the game" and encourage them to support it any which way they can, no matter how they choose to play it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The problem for me at this point is Pathfinder is an afterthought. I was excited with it at first, but I've moved on. The reality is the release schedule is far too slow. FTP folks have no reason to spend money if they play the quest mode they can easily keep pace with the content as it is released. As a paying player I then have to ask myself the big question. At the start of the next adventure deck am I willing to pay $25 for a game that I basically enjoy one weekend every other month? And more importantly, what does that $25 get me elsewhere?

Will I even remember I have the app come December? 

Look, everyone here wants it to succeed, but even that wanes as more time passes. Most of us have been with other virtual games that we've seen fall. I was a huge fan of Clash of the Dragons, wishes don't make a game successful. And that game finally got it together near the end with set rotations and co-op battles. However it was too late, there comes a tipping point. Hopefully Obsidian can figure it out and the Steam release will go gangbusters. However if they don't tighten their release schedule they'll have the same problem on Steam.

At this point I strongly doubt I'm up for round 2 in 2017, I've moved on and even more stuff will be out by then that I can play more than once every two months.

Edited by Kamikazi
  • Like 2

Kamikazi

If you enjoy a new adventure only for a weekend (which I guess assume you don't play much quest mode), then the game is VERY possibly not for you. They will never release a new AP in every 2 weeks for example.

I'm waiting to spend my $25 when we get the Steam release. At that point I will be able to still play solo on my phone and play multiplayer on my PC. As we play the physical game again and again, I think it will be the same for the online version. Just my 2 cents.

On Steam it may be compared to other board game implementations, which mostly don't have any regular update, or most slower than a monthly-bimonthly release.

Current state = not too good.

It seems that with each patch to fix something they break something else. Could it be that the code for a card is mixed in with the code for all the other cards, changing a line of code to make something work for one card unintentionally changes the values of other cards, so that each patch fixes the last patch and creates a reason for the next patch? 

It seems I will never learn, almost 50 years old and I still expect products that I purchase to work when they are released for public consumption. One day...

I was looking forward to playing all the adventure paths as an app but...

At least we have a choice of other card games as apps. It's just a pity this one isn't working as good as the rest out there.

Please consider this a part of the discussion inline with the thread title. It is to pass information to the developers, not to advertise to new customers.

And one more thing, mostly for those who feel that there has been some unfair criticism in these forums, we paid the asked price for the game...we didn't donate!

• Like 1

Kamikazi

If you enjoy a new adventure only for a weekend (which I guess assume you don't play much quest mode), then the game is VERY possibly not for you. 

"Then maybe this game isn't for you" == Then maybe this game isn't for most people then.  Not every game has to completely keep you hooked to it for 100% of your gaming time... and that is one of the better things about board games, shorter sessions.   

1. The majority of people will want to play through a full story adventure once or twice. (worth $25 alone)
  2. Then hardcore people will want to play replay with different characters and combinations for a while, and explore the meat of the game
  3. Then ultra hardcore people will want to replay and min/max completely, farming for items, and really break down the game, collect all the cards, etc

This is the complete problem though.    While this game has lots of replayability, it's still a board game in app form that has real issues with content.   

What makes the problem 10x worse, is that all the content exists, and shouldn't be as slow as it seems.  It's not like they have to go to the drawing board and conceptualize ALL of the new cards, scenarios, and content.  It exists already! 

We currently only have 50% of the base game, and 5% of all the content available.  

They will never release a new AP in every 2 weeks for example.

Which is the exact problem.  1 Adventure Path a month would be fine, if they stuck to that schedule.  But they still need content in between those months, like characters, or treasure cards, or quest mode additions.  

• Week 1 - Adventure Path 
  • Week 2 - 4-10 New Cards added to Treasure Box
  • Week 3 - A new character is added to the roster from an add-on deck
  • Week 4 - 1 new obsidian created piece of content (quest mode, new card, new location, etc)

Rinse, Repeat

It's not too late for them to fix this for Skulls and Shackles (if they ever get this far).  

The fact that Quest mode itself doesn't go all the way to Adventure Path 6 is really telling how much content just wasn't ready.  

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

And that would need at least double the people in dev team at this moment...

Most propably trible. This has been done with really small development team that is doing its first mobile game. If They could They would release stuff at much higher rate, bit They just cent because They don't make new stuff that fast.

As I said before, I Expect this to be allmost ready at the christmast time this year. If there is next adventure Path it can be a Little bit faster, but not much. Then the engine is ready, but They still have to do all the graphich, and card and scenario spesific programming again. Ofcourse some stuff can be reused and They have more experience of doing mobile stuff, but still there is limit how much two or three programmers can do while making new code and at the same time testing and debugging the old code.

So new adveture Path ones in two years? Seems possible if everything goes well. And some extras in between... maybe...

And that would need at least double the people in dev team at this moment...

Most propably trible. This has been done with really small development team that is doing its first mobile game. If They could They would release stuff at much higher rate, bit They just cent because They don't make new stuff that fast.

As I said before, I Expect this to be allmost ready at the christmast time this year. If there is next adventure Path it can be a Little bit faster, but not much. Then the engine is ready, but They still have to do all the graphich, and card and scenario spesific programming again. Ofcourse some stuff can be reused and They have more experience of doing mobile stuff, but still there is limit how much two or three programmers can do while making new code and at the same time testing and debugging the old code.

So new adveture Path ones in two years? Seems possible if everything goes well. And some extras in between... maybe...

They should have had a tight framework once they left the closed beta. If the coding mechanics were tight, adding new cards should have been as simple as selecting a few boxes in a database field. Kinda the way RPG Maker works. Sure some cards might do something extra, but the vast, vast majority of cards follow a single framework with the numbers increasing by one each time (now 1D8 + 1 instead of 1D8 or recharge on 10 instead of 8 ), working with a different trait (Add Poison trait, not Magic), or swapping a bury to discard to recharge.

All this should have been sorted out before release.

Edit: turned 8 ) to 8) 

Edited by Kamikazi
  • Like 1

Obsidian Entertainment isn't exactly a small company. They've produced big titles like South Park - Stick of Truth, Fallout New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 and that's why I think it's funny that they assigned such a small team to look after this game.

Kamikazi

If you enjoy a new adventure only for a weekend (which I guess assume you don't play much quest mode), then the game is VERY possibly not for you. 

"Then maybe this game isn't for you" == Then maybe this game isn't for most people then.  Not every game has to completely keep you hooked to it for 100% of your gaming time... and that is one of the better things about board games, shorter sessions.   

This is the complete problem though.    While this game has lots of replayability, it's still a board game in app form that has real issues with content.   

It's not too late for them to fix this for Skulls and Shackles (if they ever get this far).  

The fact that Quest mode itself doesn't go all the way to Adventure Path 6 is really telling how much content just wasn't ready.  

1. This was exactly my point. This game is not for most people, it was never supposed to compete with Pokemon Go for example. It has a different (smaller, but tighter) target audience.

2. If you are not "hooked" with the game, and don't even really play much with what available, then I don't understand why you request much more updates

3. For a boardgame it really doesn't have "real issues with content"... as far I know, i never seen a boardgame with weekly updates, and that what you are asking for.

4. Just a sidenote : most online games in my knowledge don't have weekly/biweekly updates. So it's hardly a dealbreaker against Pathfinder.

5. Nobody said that anything up to AP 6 is ready. It was specifically pointed out, that AP's will be released in some time, and for the 25 USD you get everything when it is released. (basically a base game + expansion pass purchase model)

The only thing I agree with, that they should add more content to quest mode. Other things like new characters are already planned and most likely under development.

• Like 2

All of my complaints are constructive criticism. I've paid for the content available.  I'm familiar with the actual game (I own all 3 adventure paths, add-on decks, and many extras).  I am entitled to a particular view on it.   I am 100% part who this app is designed for, and regardless, any app designer hopes to appeal to as many people as possible.  

When they are losing my attention...someone who wanted an app before they started coding an app...  IMO... they are doing something wrong. 

2. If you are not "hooked" with the game, and don't even really play much with what available, then I don't understand why you request much more updates

I am not hooked because of so little of what is available.  I am less excited because of how slow the content is coming out.  This really doesn't need more to understand.  

My thoughts are... why would I want to only play the first 50% of a game over and over and over, especially when the better content of the game is in Adventure Packs 4-5-6, when you can take advantage of roles, which is a large part of the fun customizable/character aspect?  

I could understand those who might be new to this game experiencing it this way and enjoying it.  

I could understand those who have nothing else to play or who are F2P grinders wanting to experience it this way. 

I could understand that some people just play ONE thing, and/or min-max ONE thing.  That's common. 

Just because these types of people exist, doesn't mean other types do NOT exist. 

I am a gamer at heart.  I like to play a lot of games.  I may not replay something 200 times, but I will often replay it 3-4 times if I love it enough.  (I've replayed Diablo 2/3 probably 20+ times)

If that is your thing, then go for it.  That is not how I play my games.  I want to play through at least Adventures 4-5-6 and would love to Adventure Paths 2+3 come out some day... with extra content like new characters, not just ones I've already completed the game with in board game form.   

My wallet is ready for these things.  At least it was.  I am not sure anymore.  

3. For a boardgame it really doesn't have "real issues with content"... 

Can you name any board game apps that launched without 

1. 50% or more of it's base content
  2. Hard Dates on when the missing content will be released
  3. Changed rules from the actual game in the name of "programming reasons" which actually was because of their own imposed ideas? (how the "box works)
  4. Omitted rules that affect the gameplay (being able to ignore boons)

I can't. 

as far I know, i never seen a boardgame with weekly updates, and that what you are asking for.

My suggestion was one for them to be successful.

I didn't choose for them to break the game up the way they did... and if this is the model they are going for - then they should do it in a way that will be as optimal as possible.  Faster > Slower.  More > Less.  My constructive critism was that they should consider the road-map not only for what is next, but how much time it will take to actually achieve all the needed content.  This is called pacing.  Their pace is poor atm, imo. 

Other games avoided "weekly" updates by actually launching the FULL game in one shot.   Sentinels of the Multiverse is a great example.  They launched the entire base game, and then monitized their expansions.  They didn't do a F2P episodic model.  Because of this... they have the luxury of being slower.  

Most other games also don't have nearly as much content as Pathfinder, which is another consideration. Paizo - the Pathfinder company itself churns out new content weekly, monthly, yearly.

If I was creating this game, I would have at least calculated out how long it would take to release all the content, and build a release schedule that is somewhat reasonable so that all of Adventure Path 1 could be released in a timely manner.   The extra time then could be spend on all the extra stuff.  

In addition, many other successful non-board games don't have real-world one-to-one counterpart that exists as a road-map, which is why for some of us, the disappointment is compounded.   Obsidian isn't reinventing the wheel here, they are literally PORTING an existing board game and all the needed content, that serves as the brick and morter for a foundation is all in card form already.  

Super successful F2P games (Hearthstone, Clash Royale, etc) do not have to iterate as fast, because of their userbases, and even then, they iterate faster.   

The basic overall point is:  They could manage their release schedule better by releasing more frequent and smaller content updates, and sticking to that schedule, vs putting off larger content updates and making the userbase wait and wait and wait, when then it becomes obvious it would be impossible to get all of the content the fans of the game would want. 

5. Nobody said that anything up to AP 6 is ready. It was specifically pointed out, that AP's will be released in some time, and for the 25 USD you get everything when it is released. (basically a base game + expansion pass purchase model)

Which again, nobody said that it IS/WAS ready.  That is part of the complaint.  It SHOULD have been ready.  That is the crux of the argument. (Although, I have read comments that people in the beta did see all 6 adventure paths... so I am not 100% sure.)

Regardless,  It's not like Adventures 4,5,6  are "extra content", it's the BASE game.  Rise of the Runelords is all part of a single Adventure Path.  They literally don't have 50% of the first Adventure Path Ready.   And as mentioned in other posts, even this amount of content is really only like 5%-10% of ALL the potential content.

Expansions are:  The add-on decks, promo-items, treasure cards, pathfinder society stuff.  Which is what some of us who are fans of the game REALLY are interesting in seeing, because we've already exhausted the BASE game.  

In summary:

I understand people love this game.  So do I.  But is it really not hard to understand how many different factors potentially compound to cause disappointment for some?  And then how, over time, these compounded issues weigh heavier than the positives?  

Clearly multiple people have a disapointed viewpoint.  It's not just me.  

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

Kamikazi

If you enjoy a new adventure only for a weekend (which I guess assume you don't play much quest mode), then the game is VERY possibly not for you. They will never release a new AP in every 2 weeks for example.

lol, wut?

Seriously, I've had my account on BGG for over a decade. Have a shelf of RPG books. Played and spent money on online card games like Clash of the Dragons. I have a good friend with the physical version (but it is in German so we don't play). Single player video games that take more than 5 minutes at a time are probably my biggest hobby. And this game isn't for me? No that isn't it.

The problem isn't the game, the mechanics, the platform, or anything else mechanical. The problem is their codebase, how sloppy it must be, and how having it that sloppy slows down content release. 

Setting aside the UI stuff and artwork the gameplay is very straight forward. Before you begin programming something like this you need to map out all the trigger points and objects very robustly. And since in this game when there is a conflict the active player decides which goes first you don't even need to program much conflict resolution. I have yet to see a single card that does anything fancier than modifying a die roll, moving cards from one pile to another, or preventing other card from being played. The two cards that modifies a result after the die is rolled is the fanciest thing in the game.  All those functions should be mapped out and tight.

Frankly at the time they left beta stage and opened to the public the code should have been at the stage where an adventure path could have been released every month, treasure cards mid month, and new quest combinations with preset locations/cards/adventures on weeks 2 & 4 (like a tournament game of bridge where the hands are already dealt and the same for everyone).

This is mickey mouse stuff. If they want me to stick around they should have a weekly challenge a la Sentinels of the Multiverse. Bought the season pass? Good now you can play this preset adventure with all the variables set. That way you could see what Mersi would be like if you didn't choose Acrobat. THAT IS THE POWER OF THE PLATFORM. What we actually have is just a streamlined version of the card game. They could in fact ditch the treasure cards if they rolled out weekly challenges for the buyers, and that would be enough of a hook. Then the forums would be buzzing with discussion on how to beat a particular challenge instead of asking if I'll have to replace my iPad before the season pass runs out.  

When I have to ask why management is making bad decisions or accepts poor code I have to then ask myself why I should stick around.

• Like 2

I m quite new to the game, so going forward in the adventures, it impress me a lot how unstable are the expansions. There is a stable version when normally it works as expected WITHOUT known critical issues. We are far away from that moment. I understand why they postponed the last expansion release. But they did a commercial decision when they leaved the beta state. And there the game still is at the moment. An estimation for a full stable 5-stars game (like I m sure it will be in the end) is the end of the year in my opinion. It's only a factor of how many developers works on it and how many hours they do.

I haven't posted for a while, but I really appreciate the fact that I can now play Sniper Harsk.  I completely restarted my party of four after the last big patch and it's working quite nicely.  I'm not sure, but I think I might have closed the store in the dam scenario and didn't get frozen out of the game.

The adventure paths are also released once a month in the physical game. They actually are pretty much games in and of themselves since they all have some interesting twist on the "corner the villian" formula. As you progress, different mechanics pop up. It's completely logical that those AP's are being developed along the way.

Look. Don't blame them for this, they said up front the APs were going to be released over months of time. They were completely up front about it, and it mirrors nearly exactly how the physical board game that won numerous awards and has throngs of fans worldwide. Anyone who doesn't like not getting all their content at once could have just waited until AP6 dropped and bought everything then.

The only thing missing in my eyes is online multi-player.

Edited by hfm
  • Like 1

Kamikazi

lol, wut?

Seriously, I've had my account on BGG for over a decade. Have a shelf of RPG books. Played and spent money on online card games like Clash of the Dragons. I have a good friend with the physical version (but it is in German so we don't play). Single player video games that take more than 5 minutes at a time are probably my biggest hobby. And this game isn't for me? No that isn't it.

The problem isn't the game, the mechanics, the platform, or anything else mechanical. The problem is their codebase, how sloppy it must be, and how having it that sloppy slows down content release. 

Setting aside the UI stuff and artwork the gameplay is very straight forward. Before you begin programming something like this you need to map out all the trigger points and objects very robustly. And since in this game when there is a conflict the active player decides which goes first you don't even need to program much conflict resolution. I have yet to see a single card that does anything fancier than modifying a die roll, moving cards from one pile to another, or preventing other card from being played. The two cards that modifies a result after the die is rolled is the fanciest thing in the game.  All those functions should be mapped out and tight.

Frankly at the time they left beta stage and opened to the public the code should have been at the stage where an adventure path could have been released every month, treasure cards mid month, and new quest combinations with preset locations/cards/adventures on weeks 2 & 4 (like a tournament game of bridge where the hands are already dealt and the same for everyone).

This is mickey mouse stuff. If they want me to stick around they should have a weekly challenge a la Sentinels of the Multiverse. Bought the season pass? Good now you can play this preset adventure with all the variables set. That way you could see what Mersi would be like if you didn't choose Acrobat. THAT IS THE POWER OF THE PLATFORM. What we actually have is just a streamlined version of the card game. They could in fact ditch the treasure cards if they rolled out weekly challenges for the buyers, and that would be enough of a hook. Then the forums would be buzzing with discussion on how to beat a particular challenge instead of asking if I'll have to replace my iPad before the season pass runs out.  

When I have to ask why management is making bad decisions or accepts poor code I have to then ask myself why I should stick around.

Which game have you developed from start to finish, I'd like to play it.

• Like 1

Kamikazi

lol, wut?

Congrats to your BGG (I have one too) acount and other random things are completely unrelated to what I said. I would even say that if you play physical boardames then your stance of "we need weekly updates/challenges" is puzzling at least.

Yeah, because you get a new update for your physical boardgames that often...

We have almost unlimited replayability and hundreds of possible random scenairos in quest mode - including random villains+henchmen+locations+special rules on hgher difficulty levels. This increases with every AP release. I don't see that a predefined challenge scenairo twice a month would make much sense - wich would still provide content for players like you about 2-3 hours a month at most.

BTW, I also don't understand what "fancy" cards you want to see. Do you recognize that the app is based on a physical game which has the same non-fancy (by your standard) interactions ?

Basically you are complaining for things which were never promised by the devs, don't seems to be happening anytime soon, and which are somewhat out-of-scope for the game. This is why I'm still saying that it's VERY probably not for you.

The only thing I agree with that the game should be mostly bugless by now, and it's still full of problems... and they should be able to keep the roughly 1 AP/month schelude for RotR.

The adventure paths are also released once a month in the physical game. They actually are pretty much games in and of themselves since they all have some interesting twist on the "corner the villian" formula. As you progress, different mechanics pop up. It's completely logical that those AP's are being developed along the way.

Look. Don't blame them for this, they said up front the APs were going to be released over months of time. They were completely up front about it, and it mirrors nearly exactly how the physical board game that won numerous awards and has throngs of fans worldwide. Anyone who doesn't like not getting all their content at once could have just waited until AP6 dropped and bought everything then.

Paizo released the game monthly.  Paizo designedfinished when the release schedule was set.   Which is exactly my point.  

All obsidian had to do was finish the game... then set a smart release schedule that was both frequent and on time, preferably without bugs, but the bugs are more forgivable than a loose release plan of "whenever it's ready". 

Obsidian made the commercial decision not to wait.  They would have seen more success and more money had they had a better release plan.  I certainly did not set the schedule, but I am allowed to suggest they should have followed a better one. 

Since when are consumers not allowed to complain about a product? Especially one they paid for and that they want to see succeed? 

The only thing missing in my eyes is online multi-player.

The only things missing in my eyes are (in priority order for myself): 

• More than 50% of the game
  • consistent release schedules or smarter marketing ("Coming June!" for example)
  • All the rules of the actual physical board game (some are still missing)
  • Extra content that makes the digital game have more value (extra characters, unique content)
  • a bug-free experience
  • a PC version
  • Adventure Paths 2, 3, and the soon to exist 4 
  • Multiplayer
  • A Phone version 

I mean, even with all of that, I'm still hopeful we will get most of it.  I still think, however, their current release plan despite <reasons> is too slow and ultimately will kill the success this app should have had.  I am fine if I end up being wrong.   I personally think only the first 5-6 bullet points are critical.  

And as mentioned in earlier posts, since they can't meet a lot of this... because of <small team> and <reasons>... then breaking up the content to keep a steady flow of content streaming in is in their best interest at the very least keep consumers attention until they are ready. 

Edited by wakasm

Its well known to any real programmer that something with these kinds of interactions between entities, with several edge/special/unique cases are way more dificult to implement for a computer than for normal human beings, who can infer a lot that needs to be explicitly written for a computer (its that leap that machine learning and A.I. may acomplish and why those fields are getting so much backing from all the majors, from Google to IBM).

Add to that several platforms with different rules of programming, and you have a lot more trouble (yes, the model is the same to all, but it still needs to be coded for each,and even if using multi-platform development toolkits, theres always problems; and after that theres all the different stuff like UIs)

And as for the boardgame side, go look at the size of the FAQs and Errata and all the mistakes paizo did on the boardgame version, that required 3 editions to make it right.

So my advice is give the devs a break, go play some other game (plenty of those around), and come back in a few months (its a season pass/episodic type of game, get it?) when all the content is in and most of the bugs are ironed out.

Edited by PRuano
  • Like 1

Experiences may vary is basically the simple answer for this trend.

It odd that someone brought up the Sentinels of the Multiverse app as a model they should look at.

Those are some rosy tinted glasses.

My experience with that game was probably one the worst I had with IOS app. I purchased that app day one and was enjoy it for a time then SKERRORDOMAIN 0 bug hit me. I was locked out content I purchased for 5 months,7/15 to 12/15, which they blamed Apple for the bug. I couldn't purchased new DLC nor could I used the DLC I had purchased because the bug hit anytime I download it.  Mainly because some  new patches   cause re-download of said DLC I was screwed. I stop playing Sotm because this.

Second, it wasn't mention that GtG need to launch a kickstarter to complete the second season of their IOS, Android and PC game. They couldn't afford complete the SotM universe without backer support.

That said, it hard to be a Monday morning quarterback and said that they need do this and that to be successful. 

Edited by Archangelrey
  • Like 1

Still wait for Patch 1.0.3.7 Banana Bundle :getlost:

I think anyway that as the game has so many issues, our (detailed) reports to developers are really useful.

Personally I like really much this game and for sure at this time it needs a lot of fix. So I m playing hoping to help to make it almost perfect as soon as possible :)

Also I just found an Android emulator that works perfectly with the actual patch, so I can freely switch between Android tablet and pc.

Yes sometimes I got angry with the game and I have to restart the app to continue, but having always better cards makes the playtime easier after each scenario.

Just now I bought the 6th char and restarted the Story mode to level him up. Easy difficulty of course, but really funny. 5 chars are full developed and 4 have a very good equipment too. 6 chars party is now very funny and return a lot a cards in the end. And leveling the new char returns quickly the gold for the next one. Deck C is far from me and it's perfect in this way.

For the rest, a final robust and stable game requires time from the actual state. So, imo not before January.

At this point I'm viewing the 'game' more as a platform and what I play are the story mode adventure path and Quest Mode one off scenario content.  Given that, any platform will continue to improve over time.  Yes, it's been a bit buggy but it is improving as a good rate and I don't see any reason to think that will change.

Given that, I'm fine waiting for the next adventure in this path to be released.  If I were playing the physical game I would not have played nearly as much or as often, so I'm happy to wait for more content a little longer.  I still would like to make a new party similar to what I'm most often using in Quest Mode anyway, and my quest mode characters are all in the teens.  Between those two things I still have much to look forward to with the game as is.  I love the this platform - the best way I can play an RPG or card game at this point.  Getting new content to play is icing on the cake - but better because I know it's on the way.  I'm more thinking about what the next adventure path will be, to be honest, than I am any problems waiting for new Rise of the Runelords content or fixes.  Love this game.  

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki