Concern at the state of the game

While I think showing the cards that are going to be available in the chests is a good step in the right direction, and I don't think we are going to get any indications from Obsidian about any plans. I do have serious concerns about the long term viability of this game 

Frankly I have pretty much given up on the game for now, only stopping by the forum since the game I switched to patches on Thursdays (ironically in the same Humble Bundle as this one). At this point I think the best move is the put the game down until December when they have released the full set, OR they release it for the phone AND deal with the lack of offline gold gain (at least on the iPhone). Then it would be a good game to play while waiting at the DMV for example. I am still not enamored at being treated like a thief and not gaining gold unless on my home WiFi, after paying $25. At least remove the online requirement for the iOS versions.  

An iPhone version would be neat, but the lack of value in playing while the kids are running around the playground is a bit over the top. Before they release a Steam/iPhone version I would strongly suggest they tighten up their release schedule and deal with offline gold gains. 

A month and a half between a weekend of content isn't cutting it for me when I can only play inside my house (when I have all sorts of other entertainment to choose from). Add to that the chest uncertainty and the grindy-ness of quest mode and I start to feel there is just a hair too much uncertainty.

I still like the game, but I don't feel that it is worth another $25 investment when the next adventure path rolls around without some tightening up of schedules.

Thoughts?

I'm sure, due to some of the special scenarios. There's actually some new development that goes along with these AD's as well. The physical game is on a monthly AD schedule as well. Not everyone likes the delay in the physical game as well, but I see no problem with it.

• Like 1

I too am in the same boat.  Just waiting for all the content to binge, also waiting for the bugs to be worked out. 

I personally think they are just shooting themselves in the foot for just not focusing on all the existing content at a faster pace.   There is so much content... that the bugs and extra features are slowing down the potential of this app to such a slow crawl, that I forsee people losing interest fast.  Which is weird for a game that already exists.  I think the extra content would have actually helped spread the word of this game around, and having a fullly fledged campaign would have helped with the streaming side of things if they wanted some organic marketing.  

With this content alone... they could have charged easily $100 for a non-F2P version of the game.. or... given people hundreds of hours of gold to grind to unlock.  

I understand that things take time... but I think they should have programmed the entire Runelords Base Set + A lot of the extra (characters/Promos) before launching... and then given themsevles 6 months for each Base Set.   Or some kind of release schedule that targets weekly or bi-monthly.  

I think the practical thing that has happend to slow them down are the bugs.  I don't think that was expected in whatever internal timeline they use.  

For those who don't know how much content is missing.. currently in the real world there exists: 

Plus these promo cards:

• Ranzak Character June 2014 Free RPG Day Promo
  • Ranzak Token June 2014 Free PRG Day Promo
  • Kleptomaniac Role June 2014 Free RPG Day Promo
  • Wrecker Role June 2014 Free RPG Day Promo
  • Mogmurch Ally July 2014 Organized Play Promo
  • Goblin Keelhaulin Barrier August 2014 Paizo Convention Promo
  • Goblin Weidling Ship August 2014 Retail Promo
  • Owlbeartross Monster September 2014 Retail Promo
  • Goblin Pegleg Item October 2014 Retail Promo
  • Magpie Princess Ship November 2014 Retail Promo
  • Mistmourn Ship December 2014 Retail Promo
  • Goblin Buckler Gun Weapon January 2015 Retail Promo

• Temptation of Big Die Barrier May 2015 Paizo Convention Promo
  • Chuffy Lickwound Ally May 2015 Retail Promo
  • Sweet Dragon Costume Armor June 2015 Retail Promo
  • Ekkie Character June 2015 Free RPG Day Promo E
  • kkie Token June 2015 Free RPG Day Promo
  • Guttersnipe Role June 2015 Free RPG Day Promo
  • Poodlekiller Role June 2015 Free RPG Day Promo
  • Goblin Skull Bomb Item July 2015 Retail Promo
  • Pig From Hell Monster August 2015 Retail Promo
  • Valias Durant Cohort September 2015 Game Trade Magazine

Plus, the following Class decks which each have 3 characters in them (I believe, I have not purchased any).  So that is about 50+ characters.. which... characters themselves add a LOT of replay ability to this game. 

• Alchemist
  • Barbarian
  • Bard
  • Cleric
  • Druid
  • Fighter
  • Goblins
  • Burn!
  • Goblins Fight!
  • Gunslinger
  • Inquisitor
  • Monk
  • Oracle
  • Paladin
  • Ranger
  • Rogue
  • Slayer
  • Sorcerer
  • Warpriest
  • Witch
  • Wizard

Plus - The Character specific cards that come with the mini's, which there are currently about 30+ of them (6 sets I believe)

Example here:  http://paizo.com/products/btpy98sx?Pathfinder-Battles-Iconic-Heroes-Set-2

Edited by wakasm

I'm very excited by the amount of potential content to come. Love this game and looking forward to it continuing to roll out for a long time much like Talisman DE has.

I work in software QA, and have done Dev and Test work on an open source game. I've seen from the company's side why bugs were released and why schedules slip. This isn't the first time I've seen time to market prioritized over quality. It's encouraging to see that Obsidian sees the loyal, engaged audience for PA AND that they're seeing the negative effects of that prioritizing. Once they have enough success with the launch and early content I think they are more likely to feel able to slow down and do things 'right". They've been through enough content iterations to know how to do that better now so I don't really think things will be as difficult from the player side as they've been. From what I'm seing things are probably only going to improve. A small company can't afford to hide mistakes behind the business' inertia, and the people working on PA are very likely fans as well. I'm more than willing to be patient as the game and release cycles continue.

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

Wow - I have such an opposite reaction to all of the content that is already out. I am not super familiar with the Pathfinders game, but have vastly enjoyed my introduction to it on the ipad. For me, it is exciting to see so much content already created for the game. This just makes new upgrades for the electronic version come out that much faster. Imagine if we were seeing this game for the first time and nothing new even existed for upgrades. Then you would have had the wait for creation, the wait to turn it into electronic content AND the wait to get all the bugs out. 

I think the biggest problem we all have is how great the game actually is. We are just all wanting more and some tend to blame the developers for just not giving us our "Fix" fast enough.

For me  - just wanted to say Thank you. I've enjoyed the hours I have played the game and am looking forward to more, but willing to be a bit patient knowing that more WILL come. 

Some of the earlier class decks had 4 characters each. I think the current character pool is 83.

Lemme do some math...

Three base sets with 7 characters each = 21

Three Character add-on decks with 4 characters each = 12

One "unlockable" character in Wrath of the Righteous = 1

Three Promo goblin characters (Ranzak, Ekkie, and Tup) = 3

Seven Class Decks with 4 characters each = 28

Eight Class Decks with 3 characters each = 24

I'm coming up with 89.

Two more class decks with 3 characters each in the next month or so, one more in August, September, and October each, and then a new Base Set and Character Add-on Deck in October as well.  So, before the year's out, we should have 26 more (27 if we get another promo character, though that might not happen 'til 2017 on Free RPG Day).

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

I'm very excited by the amount of potential content to come. Love this game and looking forward to it continuing to roll out for a long time much like Talisman DE has.

I work in software QA, and have done Dev and Test work on an open source game. I've seen from the company's side why bugs were released and why schedules slip. This isn't the first time I've seen time to market prioritized over quality. It's encouraging to see that Obsidian sees the loyal, engaged audience for PA AND that they're seeing the negative effects of that prioritizing. Once they have enough success with the launch and early content I think they are more likely to feel able to slow down and do things 'right". They've been through enough content iterations to know how to do that better now so I don't really think things will be as difficult from the player side as they've been. From what I'm seing things are probably only going to improve. A small company can't afford to hide mistakes behind the business' inertia, and the people working on PA are very likely fans as well. I'm more than willing to be patient as the game and release cycles continue.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion but I find fascinating the number of folks who seem to feel that no issue is great enough to make them stop praising the game. People may forget that it is possible to point out flaws without it being personal...I have no reason to think the devs aren't competent or that they aren't working diligently. That said, IMO, the truth is that the game is of only average quality and the release schedule is not on track for a digital game.

PACG is complex but so are many other board games which released in a much more stable state. Bugs happen but when almost everyone on the forums talks about them that's simply not good...a decent rule of thumb is that a simple majority of the users should be able to get through the game without encountering noticeable errors.

The releases for the board games were roughly bi-monthly but that was for an environment where you (mostly) had to get a group of people together to play and even then unless your group was dedicated to PACG, other board games got inserted between adventures. It was that realization that led Pazio to slow down the releases (e.g. Curse of the Mummy). Playing this version solo and with digital assistance for all the deck building and shuffling means that you can finish an adventure deck in a couple of hours at most.

I loved PACG board games but honestly I don't play this version much anymore and I've warned off some board gaming friends saying that it isn't worth $25 in its current state. I look at the forums mainly to see if the product has gotten back on track in terms of quality and content because I would like to go back to my friends and recommend it.

Ofcourse! This is big beta test at this moment, so only for experts and geeks at this moment. For non rotrl players I would Also wait for the time when all ad:s has been released and at least one patch after that, hopefully two.

It is very reasonable way of wait, if you Are not die hard fan of the franchise. I personally have allmost no problems with this game at this moment, but I have learned to avoid holes in it. This is so much more stable than what it was during the beta period before the public release. I think that it is a good sign that The dev team postponed the release of new content (ad4) and consentrated the bug hunt and testing in the meanwhile.

I personally am going to play this game a lot even at this moment, but I Also recommend most people to wait untill jumping full in due the nature of this game.

For some people I would say go and try even at now, but not to all. You have to be active Person in this Forum to get past "here comes the Flood" and some other scenarios, so if you don't read forums it may be better to wait, if you read these, you will later or Sooner find out how to win the scenario even if it is bugged and that is too much to require most people out there.

I just personally don't find it very usefull to bash the game at this moment. More usefull IMHO is to report those bugs to dev and wait patches. This is big early acces beta at this moment and that is what I think of this game at this moment. i Expect to see new bugs with every new content upgrade. And I am fine with that. I know that this game will be quite good after ad6 has been released and after one or two bug patch has been released after that. Untill then this is in beta stage IMHO, unless the dev team will get two to three times more workers, so that They can beta test internally untill new content releases and I don't think that we see that.

One wise thing would be to release new ad as an beta content, so that people can try it if They like to, like we do it at this moment, or wait the tested version. So there would be official open beta area and stable released version available at the same time.

So at this moment I would consider ad0-ad2 as a stable. And ad3-ad4 as a beta content.

So some people could keep on playing new content as soon as it is ready (that is how it is at this moment) and those not willing to do bug hunt would stay in previous versions untill the new content would be properly play tested and bugfixed. If that would be the case, then I would recommend this game to allmost anybody even at this moment! Ofcourse those people have to wait even longer, but it is better than get frustracted with the bugs.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

Ofcourse! This is big beta test at this moment, so only for experts and geeks at this moment. For non rotrl players I would Also wait for the time when all ad:s has been released and at least one patch after that, hopefully two.

It is very reasonable way of wait, if you Are not die hard fan of the franchise. I personally have allmost no problems with this game at this moment, but I have learned to avoid holes in it. This is so much more stable than what it was during the beta period before the public release. I think that it is a good sign that The dev team postponed the release of new content (ad4) and consentrated the bug hunt and testing in the meanwhile.

I personally am going to play this game a lot even at this moment, but I Also recommend most people to wait untill jumping full in due the nature of this game.

For some people I would say go and try even at now, but not to all. You have to be active Person in this Forum to get past "here comes the Flood" and some other scenarios, so if you don't read forums it may be better to wait, if you read these, you will later or Sooner find out how to win the scenario even if it is bugged and that is too much to require most people out there.

I just personally don't find it very usefull to bash the game at this moment. More usefull IMHO is to report those bugs to dev and wait patches. This is big early acces beta at this moment and that is what I think of this game at this moment.

I'm not bashing the game either...I tracked the development of the game from when it was announced and frequently followed the forums while it got delayed. I paid the full $25 within the first few hours of the game being released. I guess that is why I'm more disappointed since I've been a fan for a long time.

My only other comment is that if the game really is in a beta state than it should not have a $25 paid option...maybe nothing more than F2P until it is stable and complete.

Let's hope this quality oriented release delay pays off with a much improved game in August!

IMO, the game is great.

F2P players such as me, feels the game is high quality ( compared to other F2P out there ) so can't complain much there.

Those who brought it though feels a bit different to a point of being of (admittedly or not) bashing the game.

Truth is the current bugs doesn't make the game unplayable or unenjoyable..whats gets people angtsy is them wanting new content and blaming the bugs for not having it but releasing a buggy content on time, most probably get those angtsy people react the same way anyway. Its a lose-lose for the developers..when all they are trying to do is to do right by you.

25$ is a boon for avoiding any setup and table-cleaning after every gaming session.Option to play it for free, even more so.

What am rambling is..chill..relax..if a game becomes unplayable for you or not fun anymore, stop playing it..move into something else..but don't force others to take your same stance. AD4 will be ready when its ready.

Walk away for now.

You'll be back soon.

• Like 1

IMO, the game is great.

25$ is a boon for avoiding any setup and table-cleaning after every gaming session.Option to play it for free, even more so.

What am rambling is..chill..relax..if a game becomes unplayable for you or not fun anymore, stop playing it..move into something else..but don't force others to take your same stance. AD4 will be ready when its ready.

Walk away for now.

You'll be back soon.

Everyone is allowed their opinions here.  Don't force others to take YOUR stance either. 

1. It is possible to LIKE the game, and still be disappointed in it.   
  2. It is possible to look at how companies are doing it RIGHT, and then look at this and see how Obsidian might be doing it WRONG
  3. It is possible to predict, or at least, be fearful of the success in something based on the evidence we have (time delays, bugs, number of google/apple reviews, etc)

The longer the game exists, with bugs, and missing content, the longer people will walk away from it.  Period.

Most of the people here, concerned or no, want to see the developers succeed.  That doesn't change facts though.  The 10% of hardcore players who "love" the state of the game doesn't represent the thousands of others who tried the game, and either were disappointed in it's buggy launch, missing features, and/or missing content.   New players who never even heard of content noticed bugs, and experienced players notice missing content.  

The app itself is beautiful, almost masterful in it's art and design, but it leaves so much promise unfulfilled in actual game content and bugs, and based on the progress so far, it will for longer than it should, and IMO, will eventually kill any hope of long-term success.   It also leaves TOO much time for F2P players to not feel inclined to spend a dime.  

And as I always point out, I believe that the roll-out plan for the CONTENT of the game was way too short-sided, and will ultimately lead to it being a financial flop, and then sadly lead to never getting the content that I really hope for, extra characters and later Adventure Paths.   Hence, why there is a post, less than 3 months after launch, talking about the "state of the game".  

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

IMO, the game is great.

Walk away for now.

You'll be back soon.

Everyone is allowed their opinions here.  Don't force others to take YOUR stance either. 

• It is possible to LIKE the game, and still be disappointed in it.   
  • It is possible to look at how companies are doing it RIGHT, and then look at this and see how Obsidian might be doing it WRONG
  • It is possible to predict, or at least, be fearful of the success in something based on the evidence we have (time delays, bugs, number of google/apple reviews, etc)
The longer the game exists, with bugs, and missing content, the longer people will walk away from it.  Period.

Most of the people here, concerned or no, want to see the developers succeed.  That doesn't change facts though.  The 10% of hardcore players who "love" the state of the game doesn't represent the thousands of others who tried the game, and either were disappointed in it's buggy launch, missing features, and/or missing content.   New players who never even heard of content noticed bugs, and experienced players notice missing content.  

The app itself is beautiful, almost masterful in it's art and design, but it leaves so much promise unfulfilled in actual game content and bugs, and based on the progress so far, it will for longer than it should, and IMO, will eventually kill any hope of long-term success.   It also leaves TOO much time for F2P players to not feel inclined to spend a dime.  

And as I always point out, I believe that the roll-out plan for the CONTENT of the game was way too short-sided, and will ultimately lead to it being a financial flop, and then sadly lead to never getting the content that I really hope for, extra characters and later Adventure Paths.   Hence, why there is a post, less than 3 months after launch, talking about the "state of the game".

Thats the reason for the delay..to sort out the bugs and the missing contents so that people won't walk away from it.

You want the developers to succeed yet you keep predicting its demise.

The 10% hardcore gamer who loves the game who don't represent the thousands that tried, are the ones who will tell them to their buddies and explain to them the current situation.

The 10% harcore gamer who loves the game who don't represent the thousand that tried, are ones who will tell the those who walked away of dissapointment that the game is better now than before.

The 10% hardcore gamer who loves the game who don't represent the thousand that tried,are the ones who will make the buzz so that another thousand new players, whether they will like it or not, will try to play the game.

Do not worry about F2P players who have TOO much time to play. Its them that keeps the game alive by spending time with the games' nooks and cranny that is often overlooked by other players who zipped thru games. Most games nowadays need a healthy coexistence of whalers and free players to survive long term.

So how would you plan to fix this doomed game? How would you go about the implementation and logistic of your plan?

You said it yourself, less than three months..I think thats a short time to cry that the sky is falling when there is no alternative game like this. And if by these thread alone, i think the yey posts are still ahead of the nay.

• Like 1

So how would you plan to fix this doomed game? How would you go about the implementation and logistic of your plan?

My whole point is that it may very well can't be fixed.  But if it was my game, I would do whatever I could to speed up the production/release of content in parallel to bug-fixing... which may be happening, but we have not seen net results of that beyond delays.  

I 100% would NOT be designing new cards, fiddling with modes like Multiplayer, or breaking the system that the physical board game uses.  (which they did). 

I also didn't say it WAS doomed, I said I am afraid from the evidence that we do have that it might not be successful, at least in comparison to what it could have been.  Which is a complete reflection of the current state of the game, which is that content is way too slow, and too broken. 

You want the developers to succeed yet you keep predicting its demise.

What does one have to do with the other? Yes, I want them to succeed, and yes, I don't think the way it's been rolled out is the way they should have done it.  There should have been dates set for ALL of the content.   Delaying those dates would be one thing... but it's clear they are working on things as they go, which is the worst of both worlds.  

All of the popular F2P or even P2W games don't launch without at least the full base game.   Pathfinder Adventures is still missing 50% of the BASE game still.  There is no arguing this fact.  it's going to take them 6 months to fully release JUST the full game, at a minimum!   And that is still only like 10% of all of the content they could be working on.  It's disappointing any way you slice it!

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

If you think the game is broken and unfixable, why go all the trouble of negativity?

And we are not privy to the developer's resources..as far as we know, they might as well be undermanned. In an ideal work condition, quality assurance should be devoted as much resources as production/implementation..but if the company is relatively small, guess what get shorthanded..quality assurance.

When did they design new cards? All cards are reflective of the physical game..its just a matter of applying it digitally which is way harder than printing it and testing. Corrections in the digital format means recoding, while physically it can just be in form of erratas..

Why would they not want to fiddle with multiplayer? The game its based upon is multiplayer..it was meant to simulate it and you don't want that aspect included?

Physical PA is a different beast from this digital version and made by different company ( Obs under Paizo's agreement )

And yes, saying it will be a financial flop and broken and a dissappointment, specially when its far from it will eventually turn off possible new players from the game which means less resources for them devd towork and develop the contents you so badly want. Everythings connected.

They decided to release the game by adventure because thats what they are capable of you want them to release the whole Base set when its clearly impossible for them to do so with whatever constraint they are having. You want to be able to play the whole base set..guess what you can play it physically while waiting for everything to drop perfectly digitally.

What F2P/P2W game conversion of any tabletop game with any semblance of PA gameplay/complexity would you recommend atm?

Stop saying its a dissapointment generally when its not, because if it is..you wouldn't have finished playing to AD4.

• Like 2

Correction, they TOTALLY did design new cards. But that is not a bad thing, it adds variety.

Seriously though. I wish they'd close this thread, it is annoying and accomplishes nothing other than sowing anger.

Edited by Kgk4569
  • Like 1

The lack of manpower is the Main reason for that it will take some time to make this game fully available. They have one ad/month plan. They can keep it if there Are no bugs, if there Are the next content get delayed.

But all that it really means that it just take a Little bit longer untill we will get to the end. This game has huge potentiaalia even it is a niche product. So when it is ready, it can get guite good audience. So I am not too worried. There has been steady new content and bug fixes all the time. The pace could be faster, but that would require more manpower and that is not option. I am not sure how much it cost to make a game like this... A lot is my best ques... And that means that there has to be some income even during the development, I supose. The bigger team, the bigger cost.

Next hopefully. Good patch, to fix ad3, Great tutorial, so new players Are not lost in the dark and then some new content. We Are on the right track. The end of the road just is near the next christmast... Untill we can Expect to see what this game really is about.

Stop saying its a dissapointment generally when its not, because if it is..you wouldn't have finished playing to AD4.

It's a disappointment!

And to be clear, being disappointed is not negative.  I'm not bashing anyone's efforts.  I'm applying logical feedback on what I think will/would make this game successful.  If they ever can figure out how to release content with less bugs... maybe through better framework building for the game (similar to Hearthstone), then at some point, the development time should be faster... and should the choice come of... spend 100 hours building mulitplayer, or 100 hours releasing more content... I hope they smartly decide more content first!

And I did stop playing.  After plopping down $25 + some money on gold (the daily timer, which also was broken for a month) to support the app, I played up until Adventure 2 and stopped because I knew all the content wasn't there and had no less than 3 game-breaking bugs that required either a restart and/or waiting for a patch.   I played quest mode until about level 10... then stopped because the best part of the game was not even implemented yet (roles), which I thought maybe would not be the case for qust mode..

This was about 2 months ago.  And I check back, waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and then the reality of how far they have to go hits and I'm left with my impression/opinions.

It's crazy that you seem to think there is some hidden rule that only happy comments are allowed on a discussion forum.  Where else can a person go to leave their feedback if not here?  Point me to where I can leave my own feedback and not get blindly refuted that my opinion is invalid?

My comments aren't even negative, they are just observation and opinion, and I am allowed to hold the opinion that the current state of the game, and future plans of the game, is not in a great state of affairs if the release cycle will be so slow!   

And as I've repeated multiple times, I HOPE it changes because I want to see Obsidian SUCCEED, and I hold my opinion that the best path for them to do so is tighter release windows for content, and more of it.  And others feel the same way, otherwise, this thread wouldn't exist!   

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 2

;-)

Forum discussions Are always hard!

But I have to say that so far these discussions have been relatively civilized. And I am happy with that.

I hope that anyone here does not go for personal bashing, because it is no good to anyone.

Some people has put this game in pause, because reasons and that is fine. I have done most of the content that is available at this moment and have not played this game for about one month. And it is ok. I know that ad4 is coming eventually and that quest reward bug at level 30 will be fixed eventually. So I know that I will be back.

The Main problem is that what we hope and what can be done with the man power that is available Are not in sync. Everybody hopes for more content, more bug fix, Steam and PC support, phone support and so on. But in reality all of this requires a lot of time to do. So it can not be helped. They come when They come.

Completely another thing is, should this game have been released at 2017 instead of 2016... Not sure of that either.

So my best advises is IMHO

Play this game as it is at this moment or wait 2017 untill start playing a game that is more ready at that time than it is now. Both Are good options with their own merits.

I also personally did buy that 25$ Bundle in the Beginning and am not disappointed at all. I will get everything I paid for all in time. I consider it as a long term investment where I get goodies in chunk of fives. I have already got a half of whole game. Excelent!

I have backed projects where there is no quarantee that I will ever get my goods (kickstaters). In here I know that I will get everything I did pay for (for cheap I have to say). I am quite confident that I have full pathfinder adventure game by the next christmast so everything is OK!

Peace my bros! And have happy time while playing this or something else.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV
  • Like 1