Just started, need some help

Hey.. I just recently downloaded and started this on my iPad.  I went through the tutorial and have now been trying the very first scenario (Brigadoom!) -- only I keep completely failing.  I have never played this kind of game before, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have tried multiple times now but I keep failing (usually by running out of cards for both characters, but once by running out of the blessing things).   I just can't go any farther and I'm kinda frustrated trying this one over and over. 

So, my question is whether there are good resources or guides for new players that can maybe help me get over this initial hump?  I'm sure that there is some strategy or approach that I'm just not getting (although if I don't get it on the first scenario, that doesn't bode well for the others!)

Thanks in advance!

First thing is to modify the deck.

Big P Letter immediately after greating the party.

Use only weapons than don't require profiency. Because both characters Are not weapon experts (proficient) in the Beginning.

Maces to Kyra, crossbows to Merciel. Some cures to Kyra to help not running out of cards. Use blessings for Villains and hensmans and closing locations. Remember that other character can help in fights and checks!

Use Kyra cures and if not available her inner healing ability to keep the decks thick enough.

Use Merciel evade ability when meeting summoned monsters and too difficult banes.

Keep her in the different location so that you can always use her backstabbing power in combat.

Also keep them in locations that They Are good at closing.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

Here is the Obsidian playthrough, it may help: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/68613004

But as Hannibal stated, After selecting your party members, in the lower right corner of the map is a big button with a "P" on it. It will allow you to reorganize your decks.

Give Kyra:

Maces

2 Cures

Inflict

Give Meri

Thieves tools

Crossbows

For allies I get as many crows as I can, as they will help you farm for better stuff. Don't worry about losing, it can allow you to get better cards.

Use cards that have Recharge abilities rather than Discard abilities, and avoid cards with Banish as much as possible (Exception is acquiring Health Potion and Holy Candle). Use spells that have lower Recharge rolls. These both will help you stay alive.

Next just farm gold until you can get better characters. I'd suggest Lini for starters as she is a great all around character, Also Sajan since he is quite a heavy hitter and his recharge ability keeps him alive.

I think that everyone immediately giving the advice to reorganize the decks is NOT the best advice here.  It may make things easier, but they should be able to beat brigadoom! without these immediate changes.   i will admit though, it will help them get gold faster to unlock other characters.  

Some advice for starting out: 

• I would advise playing with 3 or 4 characters - if possible - and making sure one of them either a CURE or a healing ability to help you along in the beginning. This helps with characters running out of health.  If you are starting with the 2 only available characters... if you discover a cure, take them immediately (or as others have said... you can start with them).  Once you unlock even one more character... things should get easier regardless. 
  • Start out with a beginner friendly party, take different types of characters based on their main stats, such as, one DEX, STR, INT or WIS based character
  • Understand the goals of the game... it's mostly about card/turn efficiency.  Your only goal in most cases is to track down the villian, kill them, and make sure they can't escape to an open location!
    • You don't need to go through all the cards in a location all the time, that is inefficient! Always close locations when you can.
    • There is generally in each pile one henchmen or one villian, and when you encounter the henchmen early, you get a chance at closing a location and saving yourself lots of turns by banishing all the remaining cards in the deck.  Make sure the characters at each location are strong at the location's closing costs!
    • Exploring often in one turn is generally how you get ahead in this game, it is ok to use blessings/allies for this, just pay attention to what types of cards are in each location to get a rough idea of what you may encounter.  If a location has 5 monsters in it... make sure the character exploring is prepared to fight!
    • Understand how to temporarily close locations.  You only need to temp close the remaining locations when defeating a villian in order to win. 
  • Recharging is similar to healing as it adds cards back to your deck, so recharge often!
  • Scouting by looking at the top cards of decks is really strong, and so is evading under the right circumstances.  If your character has these abilities, use them!
  • To be successful in this game, it requires some basic understanding of dice probability and card counting -  add just enough dice to beat the averages. You don't need to over bless or boost yourself for checks if your dice already above average for a single check
  • Do your best to keep track of what is left in locations you are exploring and to.   If you defeat a villain early, pay attention when you come across blessings (that location may never had a blessing before!), because that may indicate that the villian is NOT in that location and can save you explorations you don't need to take.  

If you haven't unlocked any characters yet, and are forced to play with only 2 - that is ok!  Most of the advice here still holds true.  As you find better items, things will get easier as well.  

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

Thank you for the suggestion to watch that video at the top of the forum.  It definitely did help explain some things (e.g., the differences between Recharge/Reveal etc etc.).  i only have the new starting characters for now, although it is good to know that I can use the gold to get more.  I wasn't sure what the gold was for. 

But, one question that I now have is how do I change out the cards that each character has?  In the video, he shows how you can mix and match cards for each character by moving them from the bottom of the card selection screen (sorry, I don't know what it's called ) to the top half of the screen for each character -- e.g., making sure to give one character the crossbow and the other character the mace.  However, when I go to that same screen on my iPad I don't have *any* cards showing as "Available" at the bottom half of the screen, even though the different icons show things like 4/4 and 3/3.  Why can't I see the cards that I have to choose from? 

When you first create a party, before they have attempted any scenarios,  you can choose from all the Basic cards to create your decks.

After you have  attempted a scenario, you are only going to see Available cards at the end of the scenario, after you have removed extra cards from the character's decks.

You can see the character's current cards by clicking on the n/n icon buttons. You can drag a card from the display to another character to move the card from one character to another.

When you first create a party, before they have attempted any scenarios,  you can choose from all the Basic cards to create your decks.

After you have  attempted a scenario, you are only going to see Available cards at the end of the scenario, after you have removed extra cards from the character's decks.

You can see the character's current cards by clicking on the n/n icon buttons. You can drag a card from the display to another character to move the card from one character to another.

Thank you for that information.  It helped me realize that I had to completely abandon my (failure of a) party, and then start from scratch with a new party in order to get to that screen where I can mix and match my cards from the complete set.