So I am new to POE and have been contemplating a Dex greatsword build. Basically I want to hit hard ( Yes I know I wouldnt hit as hard as a might build would Im not really looking to capitalize on damage too much) with high evasion and if possible good at stealth. Not looking to do any magic either. Can I get some help with how to properly craft a build like this that is feasible to play?

Hi Bridenfelt,

keep in mind that in this game DEX has no effect on your Stealth skill or your ability to dodge incoming blows.

Skills in particular are completely detached from stats, and any class / build can invest any number of points in a given skill to master it. Some class / background combinations will have an easier time mastering a skill as they start the game with a bonus (i.e. a number of "free" skill points already assigned to a given skill) but that doesn't mean other combinations can't be good at it.

Your ability to dodge incoming attacks is governed by a number of things:

• Your RES score.
  • Whether you are using a shield (which you won't, if you wield a Greatsword.)
  • Whether you are using the Sword and Shield talent in combination with a shield (see above.)
  • The Superior Deflection talent (which is usually not worth taking; too little benefit for wasting a talent on it.)
  • Active buffs on your character.
  • Active debuffs on your enemies.

Shields and buffs/debuffs make the most difference. RES can make a difference if you really pump it, but if you want to build on your offense you're probably better off pumping other skills. Talents don't super make a difference.

There are other ways in the game to be durable other than pumping your Deflection score, though. Have a look at The Glass Tsunami fighter build, for example: It can solo the game on Easy with dumped CON and RES scores.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ Iirc Glass Tsunami is built around dual-wielding, and prolonging buffs with Spelltongue.

I would advocate your own build Andrea, the Lady of Glass which uses Blade of the Endless Paths; or the crit variant with The Hours of St. Rumbalt if greatsword (not just 2H) is a critical condition.

Another option could be a barbarian with Tidefall.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

^ Iirc Glass Tsunami is built around dual-wielding, and prolonging buffs with Spelltongue.

I mentioned the Glass Tsunami build specifically as an example of high-survivability with a low RES score, rather than as a suggestion on how to build a two-handed fighter. Thanks for vouching for my build, however (with but the caveat that it is called "Glass of Pain"—as in, "my enemies are about to enjoy a fine glass of pain") :dancing:

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Although Heart of Fury (1/encounter) now cries out for dual wielding. :)

A Firebrand rogue does pretty aweseome damage by the way.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Again Im super new to this game so perhaps could I get a breakdown of the kind of stats, skills, and classes I should look into. Overall what I want is a high evasion greatsword build thats semi decent in stealth, isnt super squishy, and can solo. 

I know youve given me some ideas however Im still not really sure what to put stat points and the like into. Also this kind of build is what I want to do but if I have to concede in some aspects Im willing since Im not too sure if what I want is even plausible lol

As mentioned, skills are not tied to stats in any way so any class can master the stealth skill (although some classes have an easier time doing so.) I suggest selecting a background that gives a bonus to Stealth when you go through character creation; from there, suffice to invest your skill points in Stealth when you level up. I would not recommend exceeding a total score of 6 with a Fighter—that's plenty stealthy already and there are skills that grant higher return on investment for melee classes.

If I understood correctly and you indeed mean "avoiding incoming blows" by "evasion", then "evasion" in this game is called "Deflection." Fighters have the highest base Deflection of all classes, so they're a good choice if you want a high-Deflection character (Paladin would be even better from that standpoint due to their class perks.) However, if you don't plan on using a shield (and I reckon you don't), you won't be able to have a very high Deflection until your Priest (provided you have one in your party, which I advocate you should) is high level enough to buff your Deflection considerably.

For a two-handed Fighter, you should bump your MIG score to increase damage and your PER to increase your Accuracy. DEX is a long story; the short of it is that it speeds up every action your character takes. I would generally avoid dumping it; pumping it may or may not be a good idea depending on the character you want to build. I have a strong preference for high-DEX characters regardless, but that's a personal quirk of mine.

I suggest having a look at Fighter builds that have been posted on these boards for inspiration. They generally come with some mechanic discussion that explains why choices were made and can be very educational. You can find links in this thread. As MaxQuest suggested, the Lady of Pain build is probably the closest to what you want even though it can be squishy in Chapter I due to the lower RES and CON scores (she becomes very durable in the second half of the game.)

You might want to go with a Rogue.

You can do good damage without pumping Might and instead pump dexterity for faster attack speed. You'd be good at stealth due to starting bonuses. Your deflection would not be that good.

Something like this:

Pale Elf

Might 10

Con 10

Dex 20

Per 14

Int 14

Res 10

Go with an on crit weapon like St Rumbaldt great Sword (prone), Tall Grass (prone) or Mabec's Morningstar (stun). The target you are attacking will be disabled and won't be able to hit back.

High PER / high DEX crit-rogue with The Hours of St. Rumbalt is lots of fun! :)

Edit: same with barb by the way. I think even a fighter could be fun with it. You don't even need to take Knockdown, Disciplined Barrage will be perfect for that build. And with Armored Grace and a bit of Durgan Steel you will be quite fast while wearing plate.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods