New treasure chest cards are coming!

I do still have to ask what the long term plan for treasures is. Will there be a cutoff after which no more will be added to this set, or will they continue to be added for the life of the game? I can't open or buy any chests without knowing what the long term plan is.

On a related note, I don't really want to open the chests I already have until I can at least be sure that cards won't be added reasonably soon after opening them. In the thread where this bug was discovered, a dev commented --

As we build more decks (which gives us more tools to use in card creation), we will continue to add to the Treasure Chest card list. Most Uncommon cards require new art and all cards that don't already exist in the physical game require an extensive review process which takes time. The next month or so will see a steady infusion of cards, after which point it will slow down.

So are we still in the middle of this steady infusion, or are there only a few more cards planned for the near future?

On a related note, I don't really want to open the chests I already have until I can at least be sure that cards won't be added reasonably soon after opening them. In the thread where this bug was discovered, a dev commented --

As we build more decks (which gives us more tools to use in card creation), we will continue to add to the Treasure Chest card list. Most Uncommon cards require new art and all cards that don't already exist in the physical game require an extensive review process which takes time. The next month or so will see a steady infusion of cards, after which point it will slow down.

So are we still in the middle of this steady infusion, or are there only a few more cards planned for the near future?

Some years? Your ques is as good as anyone else. Most propably that is open, so there may not be exact plan when that will happen.

Where is:

Healer's Kit

Portable Ram

Potion of Resinous Skin

Warhammer +3

I ate them....

Well that portable ram and warhammer must have cause some issue internally......

Nope, just take small bites and chew thoroughly...

Where is:

Healer's Kit

Portable Ram

Potion of Resinous Skin

Warhammer +3

I ate them....

Well that portable ram and warhammer must have cause some issue internally......

If anything, the Portable Ram probably facilitated intestinal navigation... forever.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Where is:

Healer's Kit

Portable Ram

Potion of Resinous Skin

Warhammer +3

Agreed. There are cards missing that were included in the following list http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87611-chest-drop-issue-has-anyone-unlock-these-cards-in-gallery/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1821405 .

Also when is the update scheduled for?

And finally someone above asked "What is the long term plan for new cards being added?" That's an important question to ask that will help decide how to open the chests we buy.

Thanks for your help and clarification. Sorry for my clumsy cellphone typing and lack of URL formatting (not sure how to do from cellphone). Awesome game, would live answers to these questions though.

New cards should always be released in new booster packs (in our case, new types of treasure chests that contain only new cards).  Players will then have a choice to buy the old treasure chests or the new treasure chests.  Every release should have new boosters/add-on treasure chests. 

There is not a lot  choice on how this needs to be handled because it is tied to economics of the game (it is tied to how much Obsidian will be able to sell treasure chests today and in the future).  It is also tied to profitability of the game.   

If you continue to add new cards to the larger pool of old cards in the old treasure chests, that would mean players who have almost complete set of old cards will have to buy an insane amount of treasure chests just to get the new cards.  You will turn off some players.  Some players will buy less.  Some players will hold purchasing until all cards are released (but there will always be new cards).  Obsidian will lose sales on treasure chests overall in the long run.  That's why there is no choice on how to handle this other than release in new booster treasure chests.

• Like 4

New cards should always be released in new booster packs (in our case, new types of treasure chests that contain only new cards).  Players will then have a choice to buy the old treasure chests or the new treasure chests.  Every release should have new boosters/add-on treasure chests. 

There is not a lot  choice on how this needs to be handled because it is tied to economics of the game (it is tied to how much Obsidian will be able to sell treasure chests today and in the future).  It is also tied to profitability of the game.   

If you continue to add new cards to the larger pool of old cards in the old treasure chests, that would mean players who have almost complete set of old cards will have to buy an insane amount of treasure chests just to get the new cards.  You will turn off some players.  Some players will buy less.  Some players will hold purchasing until all cards are released (but there will always be new cards).  Obsidian will lose sales on treasure chests overall in the long run.  That's why there is no choice on how to handle this other than release in new booster treasure chests.

True.

New cards should always be released in new booster packs (in our case, new types of treasure chests that contain only new cards). Players will then have a choice to buy the old treasure chests or the new treasure chests. Every release should have new boosters/add-on treasure chests.

There is not a lot choice on how this needs to be handled because it is tied to economics of the game (it is tied to how much Obsidian will be able to sell treasure chests today and in the future). It is also tied to profitability of the game.

If you continue to add new cards to the larger pool of old cards in the old treasure chests, that would mean players who have almost complete set of old cards will have to buy an insane amount of treasure chests just to get the new cards. You will turn off some players. Some players will buy less. Some players will hold purchasing until all cards are released (but there will always be new cards). Obsidian will lose sales on treasure chests overall in the long run. That's why there is no choice on how to handle this other than release in new booster treasure chests.

This is a horrid idea. Adding too many types of paid resources does not add to the value of a game, regardless of its monetization standards. This sort of thing rarely tests well and always results in failure for mobages on all fronts. I know PFACG is different from the average mobage, but the treasure similarity is a huge factor. Please look at articles that explain the economics behind this on sites like Gamasutra (odd name, but it's a game developer news site that has a lot of very great articles on everything, including mobile and tablet gaming).

What *should* be done is any of the following:

- Have significant drop rate up events on certain card types or themes every 3 to 7 days and cycle through a full rotation that can be done every month or two (at most). Maybe certain types of cards, a focus on certain deities, factions or alignments.

- Just have a different pool of cards available every other day. Make it consistent to the day of the week or have it offset to cater to those who have work days or schedules that don't easily permit them to play at all on a particular day (cell coverage, work restrictions, etc). Both structures have pros and cons to them, but the latter is best if the devs have a means of communicating the schedule on a regular basis, which this forum is a perfect example of (a news update page in the game's store that people can view would be priceless too).

- Allow for guaranteed highest rarity drops on a pool if X# of treasures are opened. I've seen a few other forums complain about the very poor (~1% if even) rates for the Legendary cards and I generally have to agree that this type of game should never require literally thousands of dollars, if not more, to unlock all cards (when it's not even a competitive pay to win)! Other games may do this, but Obsidian shouldn't stoop to their level!

Some people will argue otherwise, but Obsidian should never be targeting whales & white whales in a game like this - it's extremely exploitive and poor pricing ethics, something I can't personally condone (A major factor for why I left the mobile gaming industry. Please think of people who actually have a gambling problem and how games like these can literally ruin their lives, financially and mentally. After meeting a few myself at a gaming convention, it really put things in perspective). I really want this game to be successful, since I absolutely love and am a huge fan of both companies involved in this product's release!

Edited by Anion

This is a horrid idea. Adding too many types of paid resources does not add to the value of a game, regardless of its monetization standards. This sort of thing rarely tests well and always results in failure for mobages on all fronts. I know PFACG is different from the average mobage, but the treasure similarity is a huge factor. Please look at articles that explain the economics behind this on sites like Gamasutra (odd name, but it's a game developer news site that has a lot of very great articles on everything, including mobile and tablet gaming).

- Have significant drop rate up events on certain card types or themes every 3 to 7 days and cycle through a full rotation that can be done every month or two (at most). Maybe certain types of cards, a focus on certain deities, factions or alignments.

- Just have a different pool of cards available every other day. Make it consistent to the day of the week or have it offset to cater to those who have work days or schedules that don't easily permit them to play at all on a particular day (cell coverage, work restrictions, etc). Both structures have pros and cons to them, but the latter is best if the devs have a means of communicating the schedule on a regular basis, which this forum is a perfect example of (a news update page in the game's store that people can view would be priceless too).

- Allow for guaranteed highest rarity drops on a pool if X# of treasures are opened. I've seen a few other forums complain about the horrid rates for the Legendary cards and I generally have to agree that this type of game should never require literally thousands of dollars, if not more, to unlock all cards (when it's not even a competitive pay to win)! Other games may do this, but Obsidian shouldn't stoop to their level!

Some people will argue otherwise, but Obsidian should never be targeting whales & white whales in a game like this - it's extremely exploitive and poor pricing ethics, something I can't personally condone (A major factor for why I left the mobile gaming industry. Please think of people who actually have a gambling problem and how games like these can literally ruin their lives, financially and mentally. After meeting a few myself at a gaming convention, it really put things in perspective). I really want this game to be successful, since I absolutely love and am a huge fan of both companies involved in this product's release!

Wait... so your argument for not exploiting gamblers is to just play around with the odds during predetermined windows? That doesn't really seem to fix the problem of slot machine pricing. Much better suggestion for that is to take out the random and just charge for predetermined content, like the physical game did, and all other apps based on board games.

• Like 2

Wait... so your argument for not exploiting gamblers is to just play around with the odds during predetermined windows? That doesn't really seem to fix the problem of slot machine pricing. Much better suggestion for that is to take out the random and just charge for predetermined content, like the physical game did, and all other apps based on board games.

Sorry, I should have clarified that a bit more.

While your suggestion is the most ideal thing to do, the truth is the design of the game is already clear. There is a gambling mechanic, or gatcha, that is here to stay at the very least for a predetermined period of time. Probably forever. Going back on it entirely can cause all sorts of legal repercussion. I know of a certain mobile game company in Washington that got hit hard after back peddling on a similar system.

Having experience working on projects similar to this, selling these cards as a package or bundle is simply not an option. Maybe in a year or more, but in the short term, I highly doubt it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if devs initially wanted to go your route, but lost when potential RoI results with the current monetization method were released. That or the fact certain cards worked while others were still buggy - that may have been a factor in favor of a slow and gradual release of this content.

I'm just making suggestions that are more viable options without requiring a complete overhaul of their current system.

Static content is already part of the system, it's how the character deck is released. Also, I'm assuming it's how they'll be releasing future characters. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess there's not a single person who'd be cool if characters released in the treasure system.

New cards should always be released in new booster packs (in our case, new types of treasure chests that contain only new cards). Players will then have a choice to buy the old treasure chests or the new treasure chests. Every release should have new boosters/add-on treasure chests.

There is not a lot choice on how this needs to be handled because it is tied to economics of the game (it is tied to how much Obsidian will be able to sell treasure chests today and in the future). It is also tied to profitability of the game.

If you continue to add new cards to the larger pool of old cards in the old treasure chests, that would mean players who have almost complete set of old cards will have to buy an insane amount of treasure chests just to get the new cards. You will turn off some players. Some players will buy less. Some players will hold purchasing until all cards are released (but there will always be new cards). Obsidian will lose sales on treasure chests overall in the long run. That's why there is no choice on how to handle this other than release in new booster treasure chests.

- Allow for guaranteed highest rarity drops on a pool if X# of treasures are opened. I've seen a few other forums complain about the very poor (~1% if even) rates for the Legendary cards and I generally have to agree that this type of game should never require literally thousands of dollars, if not more, to unlock all cards (when it's not even a competitive pay to win)! Other games may do this, but Obsidian shouldn't stoop to their level!

I will address one item on your reference to gambling.

People who are ruined by games need to seek help like in real life (i.e., alcohol, gambling). 

Do not take away the fun from people who have ability to manage our resources (money, time, and displicine).  Do not put parameters in games to adjust to some people who cannot control themselves.  This would be like banning alcohol in real life just because some people cannot control this.  

I like the fun part of opening treasure chests.  Your recommendation on drop rates may be fine.  However, I also don't want everything to be easy to get.  I want difficult things to be difficult to acquire (like in real life).     

Edited by sleonardo

I want difficult things to be difficult to acquire (like in real life).     

I actually agree with this 100%, but I think the difference in opinion here is that I don't consider "time consuming" to be difficult, or "luck-based" to be difficult either.

If the cards required you to complete challenges, like having fewer turns, more to do, harder objectives, then I'd be all for that.  I have no objection to the cards that only unlock when you complete all adventures on legendary, for instance.

However, requiring a person to just keep repeating the same simple action until luck aligns and gives them something?  That's not difficult.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed reading the multiple threads on the topic of treasure chests. My initial thoughts were against the concept, preferring to purchase a "complete game" or "add on package" perhaps. After playing for a bit, I have changed my mind. Right now I am pretty much waiting for new content (like everyone else) but still am enjoying playing for gold. I really enjoy the Christmas like feel of opening a new chest and it gives me a reason to continue playing when I might have gotten bored. So thanks to those that came up with the chest idea!

• Like 1

I actually agree with this 100%, but I think the difference in opinion here is that I don't consider "time consuming" to be difficult, or "luck-based" to be difficult either.

If the cards required you to complete challenges, like having fewer turns, more to do, harder objectives, then I'd be all for that.  I have no objection to the cards that only unlock when you complete all adventures on legendary, for instance.

However, requiring a person to just keep repeating the same simple action until luck aligns and gives them something?  That's not difficult.

I think there can be a happy medium (a combination of time, luck, complexity) that is possible.

I am a bit confused about the concept of "new" cards. When I look at the current gallery showing treasure cards, the "new" cards are listed (although with the original edges). What portion of the gallery treasure cards are a part of the game and which are "still to come out?" 

I had (wrongly) assumed that the current gallery of treasure items showed the possibilities for the current treasure chests. 

Absolutely! I'm lucky enough not to have been bitten by the collectibles element of this game and hadn't realised that there were people who had. For me, TCs are just a sink for spare gold - I would never spend real money on them, there's just nothing there to make them interesting enough. I think the only TC item that I actually appreciate is the Shortbow+1 (but then I'm only at level 10-11 in questing as I don't find grinding to be any fun)

I am a bit confused about the concept of "new" cards. When I look at the current gallery showing treasure cards, the "new" cards are listed (although with the original edges). What portion of the gallery treasure cards are a part of the game and which are "still to come out?" 

I had (wrongly) assumed that the current gallery of treasure items showed the possibilities for the current treasure chests. 

there is a bug that make it so that some cards showed on the gallery can't actualy be obtained

look in the bug section, one of the dev said he was very sorry for this bug because it tricked some people into hunting for something that didn't really exist and listed what cards are shown incorrectly

or alternatively wait for the patch to be released since i assume that it's one of the bug it's going to fix

Edited by teasel