Hurlshot's 2016 Summer RV Trip

Hurlshort

Nothing against the hardworking folks at Coors and their products but I agree with you. That little rack of happiness in the background of the last picture is more appealing. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No way, I have totally been there and toured that.

It was so long ago that Zima was a thing. I remember in the tasting room, telling my companion, oh yeah, I could drink this all day.  :facepalm: I was 21.

Is that a stout, or what's happening. How cool of a name is B&B Brewery ...

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

No way, I have totally been there and toured that.

It was so long ago that Zima was a thing. I remember in the tasting room, telling my companion, oh yeah, I could drink this all day.  :facepalm: I was 21.

Is that a stout, or what's happening. How cool of a name is B&B Brewery ...

Oh God, I vomited a little in the back of my mouth when you typed that word. The Z word. It was 1993, I was still in the Marines at Pendleton. there was this crappy dive bar off Mission Road east of the base called Sonny & Sher's. (yes it was spelled that way). They had a $20 all-you-can-drink Zima night. And I made sure they lost money on me that night. But that was the worst, WORST hangover in a long and gloried career of alcohol consumption. It took three days before I was right again.

To This day I can't even look at a glass of Sprite or 7-Up with feeling a little ill remembering that.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The picture is a peanut butter chocolate stout.  Had a bit of a PB smell, a nice creamy flavor, but not overpowering.  Personally I cozied up to a double IPA, but my wife dug that one.

• Like 1

Day 14 - I picked up a Chevy Malibu from Enterprise and we headed out to explore Golden, CO.  The Coors Brewery was my main destination, and it did not disappoint.  It was a great tour of a massive facility.  I'm not actually a fan of any of the beers they produce, but they have a small batch brewer that they work with and they had some decent stuff.  Still, the process and scale were amazing, and the smell of hops and barley always makes me happy.

(image)

(image)

(image)

After the tour we ate lunch and explored Golden.  It's a neat little town, lots of good shops and restaurants.  I did find a craft beer bar too, and got to sample some stuff more up my alley.

(image)

ah, much better.  were admitted conflicted 'bout images o' strip mines in the territorial lands o' the lakota, and monuments o' US Presidents defacing holy places in the Black Hills.  

so endeth emo-Gromnir.

we don't drink alcohol, but am admitting that your coors visit almost makes us consider taking up a new vice.  

have fun.  stay safe.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Coors is closer to water than alcohol.

Regarding the Lakota and other tribes of the Black Hills and Great Plains, I will say I was somewhat impressed by the reverence that many people I met in SD have for Native American culture and the awareness of how badly they were wronged. This was a major contrast to my trip to the south, where I had tour guides who tried to rationalize plantations and slavery.

• Like 2

The picture is a peanut butter chocolate stout.  Had a bit of a PB smell, a nice creamy flavor, but not overpowering.  Personally I cozied up to a double IPA, but my wife dug that one.

There's a small brewery around here that makes that. It's around 10% alcohol and is very smooth. Not their best imo, but really damn good.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

There is a small brewery right next(-ish) to Mile High Stadium called Little Machine that does some pretty good dark beers. The selection is always rotating but it's usually a little too heavy on the IPAs, which I don't care for, but otherwise it's pretty good. Cheapish too

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Day 15 - We drove up to Fort Collins, making a short stop at an impressive RV superstore to ooh and aah over some bigger models.  The kids are getting pretty big for our current rig, but financially we have bigger priorities so it is more daydreaming than actual shopping.

We arrived at New Belgium and I immediately fell in love.  It is a beautiful campus with food trucks, games, and multiple bars.  The kids got some fancy corn dogs and I ordered 6 tasters of different IPA's.  I have had New Belgium beer before and never been much impressed.  But everything is different when fresh from the tap, and I fell in love with a number of the beers I tried.

13627052_10206720218068780_1732664788296

It was Sour Saturday, so they had one bar set up with just sours.  I am not normally into sours, but these were all pretty crisp.  

13615201_10206720699160807_1052315860020

We went on a great tour and by the end everyone was asking for job applications.  It's a very interesting company, employee owned and all.  I handed off my keys to the wife and passed our for the drive home.  It was a beautiful night in Colorado as well.

13627021_10206722809653568_1881730274838

• Like 3

any way to change the title o' the thread?  beer run 2016?  places to see between beer stops 2016? 

could go with the dr. strangelove route. hurlshot's summer rv trip 2016 or: how i tricked my family into supporting my month long beerfest.

hmmmm.  something to think 'bout.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Day 15 - We drove up to Fort Collins, making a short stop at an impressive RV superstore to ooh and aah over some bigger models.  The kids are getting pretty big for our current rig, but financially we have bigger priorities so it is more daydreaming than actual shopping.

We arrived at New Belgium and I immediately fell in love.  It is a beautiful campus with food trucks, games, and multiple bars.  The kids got some fancy corn dogs and I ordered 6 tasters of different IPA's.  I have had New Belgium beer before and never been much impressed.  But everything is different when fresh from the tap, and I fell in love with a number of the beers I tried.

13627052_10206720218068780_1732664788296

It was Sour Saturday, so they had one bar set up with just sours.  I am not normally into sours, but these were all pretty crisp.  

13615201_10206720699160807_1052315860020

We went on a great tour and by the end everyone was asking for job applications.  It's a very interesting company, employee owned and all.  I handed off my keys to the wife and passed our for the drive home.  It was a beautiful night in Colorado as well.

13627021_10206722809653568_1881730274838

Fat Tire? Seriously? Not a fan.

Thomas Sowell

As I said, I was not a fan of New Belgium until I hung out at their place. Fat Tire is not a good representaion of what they can do.

I would recommend picking up the Abbey Ale sometime. It would make a better flagship for them.

Day 16 - We lounged around the RV until lunchtime, then headed over to Coors Field to watch the Rockies play the Phillies.  Coors Field is a very nice ballpark.  I am used to trying to find midday games because that is the best time to go in San Francisco, but I might need to change that strategy.  It was extremely hot out at the park.  We had a bit of shade for the first 6 innings, but ended up leaving after the 7th due to the sun.  

13669022_10206728460994848_2123013901158

We headed across the street to Breckenridge Brewery, and of course tasted more beer.

13620062_10206728342631889_1635917208018

Actually I got a bit teary eyed as I finished my last sips of this:

13606942_10206728448354532_3500881136750

It is one of the best IPA's I've ever had.  I'd put it on the level with Rogue's 7 Hop IPA.  Alas, it is small batch and I may never taste it again.

This was our last real vacation day.  I will spend the next three days driving 1300 miles to get my wife home in time for her cheerleading camp.  I may or may not get any more posts up.  :)

• Like 7

Safe driving.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Great pics, great trip, thanks for bringing us along. Have a safe trip home.

Thomas Sowell

Day 16 - We lounged around the RV until lunchtime, then headed over to Coors Field to watch the Rockies play the Phillies.  Coors Field is a very nice ballpark.  I am used to trying to find midday games because that is the best time to go in San Francisco, but I might need to change that strategy.  It was extremely hot out at the park.  We had a bit of shade for the first 6 innings, but ended up leaving after the 7th due to the sun.  

am recalling a baseball game we saw at candlestick some years ago when we were attending Cal.  temps were mid/high 70sF, so we were in t-shirt and shorts.  were one o' the more miserable baseball experiences we ever endured. at similar temps in a shaded seat with winds blowing at literal dozens o' comiskey games we attended, we  woulda' been comfortable and maybe even a bit warm as the press o' all those human bodies had a tendency to make one feel warmer than the thermometer might suggest. were shivering our arse off at candlestick. always brought at least a sweatshirt with us to candlestick thereafter, regardless o' temps. san francisco baseball were a bit o' a shock for a guy from the midwest.

good luck with the return trip.

HA! Good Fun!

Guys in the USA,  here is an interesting question

How many states have you traveled to in your lives and which were your  favorite apart from where you live?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've been to 37 States. I've lived (meaning more than a year) in Florida, Texas, California and Tennessee. My favorite State would have to be Wyoming. If you stay away from the tourist traps in the west it's a huge, wide open place of towering mountains, high plains desert and wide open vistas. The entire state has a smaller population that the Nashville metroplex. So there is plenty of room and a traffic jam means waiting for a herd of free range cows (or even bison) to cross the road.

My current home state, Tennessee, is my 2nd favorite. But I like the east side much better than the west for all the reasons I mentioned above. Kentucky is my third favorite. It's a really laid back place.

You got to love Hawaii but it doesn't make my top 5 because it's really really expensive and really really hard to get around. Otherwise it's great.

The state I like the least is Maryland. Absolutely EVERYTHING is illegal there. It is a nanny state from hell. And California is my second least like state but that's only because they haven't figured out how to tax the air you breathe yet. Plus if you've never been stuck on I-5 during a hot afternoon rush hour you don't know the meaning of the word "hell." And it matters not where you are because the bitch is log jammed from Imperial Beach all the way to Mt. Shasta.

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

I've been to 37 States. I've lived (meaning more than a year) in Florida, Texas, California and Tennessee. My favorite State would have to be Wyoming. If you stay away from the tourist traps in the west it's a huge, wide open place of towering mountains, high plains desert and wide open vistas. The entire state has a smaller population that the Nashville metroplex. So there is plenty of room and a traffic jam means waiting for a herd of free range cows (or even bison) to cross the road.

My current home state, Tennessee, is my 2nd favorite. But I like the east side much better than the west for all the reasons I mentioned above. Kentucky is my third favorite. It's a really laid back place.

You got to love Hawaii but it doesn't make my top 5 because it's really really expensive and really really hard to get around. Otherwise it's great.

The state I like the least is Maryland. Absolutely EVERYTHING is illegal there. It is a nanny state from hell. And California is my second least like state but that's only because they haven't figured out how to tax the air you breathe yet. Plus if you've never been stuck on I-5 during a hot afternoon rush hour you don't know the meaning of the word "hell." And it matters not where you are because the bitch is log jammed from Imperial Beach all the way to Mt. Shasta.

37 !!! Holy Smoke thats amazing 

I have been to  6 states, my favorite was Georgia and Nevada 

Whats Kentucky like..and have you been to places like Alabama and Mississippi in the Deep South, I want to visit them   

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How many states have you traveled to in your lives and which were your  favorite apart from where you live?

I've got 41.  I've been to all but N. and S Dakota, Minnesota, Conn, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Delaware and West Virginia. 

One favorite?  No way I could pick just one but Washington, North Carolina, and New Mexico would be at the top of the list

Least favorite? Mississippi

Edit: can't count

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 3

I've not been to as many as GD and way less than kgambit, only 23 here.

I've lived in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New York, and North Carolina

My favorite is probably Arizona and my least favorite is also probably Mississippi

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've got 40.  I've been to all but N. and S Dakota, Minnesota, Conn, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Delaware and West Virginia. 

One favorite?  No way I could pick just one but Washington, North Carolina, and New Mexico would be at the top of the list

Least favorite? Mississippi

40 !!!!

That must be the record, what didn't you like about Mississippi 

John Milton 

I've not been to as many as GD and way less than kgambit, only 23 here.

I've lived in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New York, and North Carolina

My favorite is probably Arizona and my least favorite is also probably Mississippi

Now thats an interesting statistic, two  very different people in the USA both dislike Mississippi....what was your reason  

John Milton