[CLASS BUILD] Monksterlasher (elemental lashing & retaliating offensive tank)

Another great build, Boeroer!

I'm curious about one thing, however: does Two-Handed Style buff retaliation/Battle-Forged damage if you are holding a 2-handed weapon?

EDIT: I ask because I am considering a two-handed variant of this build or a similar one on a barbarian, and I can't seem to find this information confirmed or denied even though I've looked.

Edited by hansvedic

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the fire lash from torment's reach and lightning strikes don't stack anymore, that the lightning lash gets suppressed. Is that true?

Didn't try that out lately. Maybe I can do that tomorrow. But I don't think that's the case.

I haven't tested this on an ally, but according to combat log the lashes from torment's reach, turning wheel and lightning strikes still don't suppress each other.  By the way, combat log damage numbers were in line with the amount of damage displayed in red over foes' heads. Nothing spectacular, but as I read somewhere on this forum that turning wheel and lighting strikes suppress each other, I just wanted to confirm they still don't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can say, that this build is VERY strong and it is by far the most funny build I ever played.

I wasnt playing on potd (but on hard difficulty), so to be honest I didnt use Battle Forge (it was activated maybe few times during the entire game).

So I would recommend everyone not playing PotD - pick something else. Maybe Nature Godlike for healing, or anything else just for helmet.

This Monk can survive anything. Monks in Abbey, Cragholdt Bluff, Dragons....everything was killed very easily. With constitution 30+ even disengagement attacks from dragons didnt do anything to him :)

No micromanagement needed, very simple game :)

I can say, that this build is VERY strong and it is by far the most funny build I ever played.

I wasnt playing on potd (but on hard difficulty), so to be honest I didnt use Battle Forge (it was activated maybe few times during the entire game).

So I would recommend everyone not playing PotD - pick something else. Maybe Nature Godlike for healing, or anything else just for helmet.

This Monk can survive anything. Monks in Abbey, Cragholdt Bluff, Dragons....everything was killed very easily. With constitution 30+ even disengagement attacks from dragons didnt do anything to him :)

No micromanagement needed, very simple game :)

Monks with maxed out might and con are really powerful. High offense with elemental lashes, high natural defenses, high DR, high health, very high fortitude, and enemies die just by hitting you... really hard to do better than that. You can just auto-attack for the most part, even soloing. Of course swift strikes, torments reach, or FoA is better than just auto attacking, but you don’t even need to do that and will still be really strong. Barbarians are similiarly strong for the same reasons. Worse defenses (except fortitude) and DR, but better healing regeneration and endurance pool makes up for that. Edited by Braven

• 5 weeks later...

Given the new Firebrand belt from the Deadfire DLC - thoughts on focusing on that and leaving Bittercut(s) for other characters? I've never played monk, so wondering if using a two-hander and having the belt slot claimed would seriously undermine this build.

The thing is that monks with Torment's Reach are much better when dual wielding (because the Cone damage is not based on your weapon damage and you get twice the AoE damage from the Full Attack then). But in general Firebrand is a great tool for monks (and other classes) until you get durgan steel.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks, I've never used a monk before (nor completed a playthrough with WM1&2). Figured there was a mechanical advantage in there for dual wield. I'm sure I'll find a spot for both giant flaming swords and a monk, though they may not be together! 

Interrupts?

I knew about it but i'm just wondering if there's a big impact of getting negative concentration vs 0 concentration. With 10 RES you are likely getting interrupted too especially if the enemy has high interrupt score. I cast prayers on every fights with durance though. Of course that would mean going solo impossible i guess.

• 3 months later...

It's in a hidden treasure room in Blood Sands/Twin Elms.

Sometimes you have to reequip and reload to make them work. If you can't see a raw lash in the combat log once you have some wounds then they have a hickup.

Edited by Boeroer

By the way the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer is pretty great on this. Not because of Firebrand, but because of the automatic Flame Shield (no need for potions) and the Torrent of Flame. And the stat bonuses of course.

By the way the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer is pretty great on this. Not because of Firebrand, but because of the automatic Flame Shield (no need for potions) and the Torrent of Flame. And the stat bonuses of course.

thanks for the suggestion!. by the way.. i'm thinking of a ravager build in deadfire. is it any good? aoe tormen's reach is the idea.

A ravager is a good combo but some synergies that might sound great won't stack (like the PEN of Berserker's Frenzy and the PEN of Thunderous Blows, Frenzy's Speed and Swift Strikes and so on). Torment's Reach + Carnage will do a cone and Carnage will emanate from the initial hit. So no fancy cascading Carnage or so.

But all in all it can be a good combo for persistent AoE damage.

A ravager is a good combo but some synergies that might sound great won't stack (like the PEN of Berserker's Frenzy and the PEN of Thunderous Blows, Frenzy's Speed and Swift Strikes and so on). Torment's Reach + Carnage will do a cone and Carnage will emanate from the initial hit. So no fancy cascading Carnage or so.

But all in all it can be a good combo for persistent AoE damage.

hmm...  i'm not sure what to think of it. do you think that designer over nerf multi-classing? the idea of multi-classing is great but if their idea of over-nerfing to compensate of balance.. if that's the case then i think the designers did a very poor job. just look at why there's a speed mod and balance mod to begin with?

trying this build at level 4 now at caed nua. don't feel that great as i'm constantly getting interrupted and stunned. if putting heavy armor on a monk i think they'll ignore him and go for the squishies. is there a taunt ability or something that cost wound? i think that may be a better idea.