BlackScreen at start up

LonelyFatGuy

Question

Hello, 

I played the game yesterday and everything was fine, the next day i tried to start it up and all i get is a black screen and music.

The mouse is turned into the glove and i can move it around, even clicking on the now hidden menu, i veen managed to load a game but everything stayed black.

i tried reinstalling and verifying the cash, but it didn't work. my drivers are updated too.

I was really looking forward to playing the game, can anyone help?

13 answers to this question

Having same issue as LFG, except that I haven't been able to get it to load at all. Only a black screen, a hand, and music on a Windows 10 PC. Others have suggested disabling Crossfire, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that. I've spent 3-4 hours trying to find a fix or a workaround, but I haven't even made it past this initial black screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My output log:

output_log.txt

My system specs:

DxDiag.txt

Thanks,

J

Suen,

Thanks for your reply. I did have an energy-saving profile active. I have since changed it to high performance but am getting the same result. I'm not sure why it's booting with the Intel® HD Graphics card and not the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000.

J.

@LonelyFatGuy

Your game runs in window mode, try to change the file prefs next to the output log and check/change booth lines which contains fullscreen to 1

<pref name="FULLSCREEN" type="int">1</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>

i change this in the output_log?

That looks strange.

Way 1: http://www.dirks-computerecke.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/windows-7-zuverlaessigkeitsverlauf-3.jpg

I don't know how this translates in windows, hope you can find it. The red x link directly to the error message and the windows self help function.

Way 2:

If your display driver stops maybe the windows system log has something. In Start -> Run (or Win + R) enter: eventvwr

In the Application log should be some message with regard to the grafic driver

@LonelyFatGuy

Your game runs in window mode, try to change the file prefs next to the output log and check/change booth lines which contains fullscreen to 1

<pref name="FULLSCREEN" type="int">1</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>

i change this in the output_log?

No, in the file named "prefs". Its in the same folder as the output_log.

Unfortunately for windows the preferences are in the registry.

In Windows 7 they are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity

_currentDisplayMode seems also doing something

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Suen,

Thanks for your reply. I did have an energy-saving profile active. I have since changed it to high performance but am getting the same result. I'm not sure why it's booting with the Intel® HD Graphics card and not the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000.

J.

Well, the game should run with just an intel graphic card - got a i5 myself - so it's not that alone.

I thought it could be the switching between the cards, but I can't really say.

Edited by Suen

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Unfortunately for windows the preferences are in the registry.

In Windows 7 they are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity

_currentDisplayMode seems also doing something

I had the same problem on PC.  I changed the _currentDisplayMode_h1512211402 dword from 2 to 1 and it is working now.  It is back in full screen mode, but working.  Now the question is how do I successfully get this game to run in windowed mode?