From what I understand in the message that I receive when I open the app in offline, you mean I will not earn any gold when playing in offline???? That's so weird! Like, can I earn them once I connect to the internet after completing an adventure in the offline mode? How about is I started offline then completed online? Or the other way round? Gold is very important for a F2P player isn't it? 

Any tips from anyone for me? Restrictions: No internet except at home, plays adventures outside(offline), F2P (no real money spent)

Thanks!!!

There is currently no buffering of gold.  If you're offline, you simply don't earn the gold.  I believe the devs want to implement something similar to this, but I don't think it's way high up on the priority list.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

The gold hack idea seems like a lame reason to me.  It is insulting to be assumed to be a criminal on the off chance I might be.  I see lack of offline play a big issue for PA.  I took my tablet on a trip with a 5+ hour plane ride each way and I couldn't play my favorite game.  That was frustrating.  All because I'm assumed to be out to screw the developers?  My understanding was that this was a short term way to make syncing game data with your account easier.  I don't like it, but I can accept that reason at least.

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

I will again state that selling static packs for a set amount would solve this. I dont like the gold system and this is baggage with it. If we had static packs they could be available offline too and no need to get gold involved in the game.

The gold hack idea seems like a lame reason to me.  It is insulting to be assumed to be a criminal on the off chance I might be.  I see lack of offline play a big issue for PA.  I took my tablet on a trip with a 5+ hour plane ride each way and I couldn't play my favorite game.  That was frustrating.  All because I'm assumed to be out to screw the developers?  My understanding was that this was a short term way to make syncing game data with your account easier.  I don't like it, but I can accept that reason at least.

There is no lack of offline play.  There is a lack of earning gold currency.  I would totally still play this game without earning gold if I was on a trip that didn't include some kind of connectivity.

More importantly I think the topic of hacking and program protection is important.  Piracy is not only real, but it's pretty rampant.  The moment someone figures out a way to make something that should cost something else (time and/or money) free, there are plenty of people who will take advantage of it under whatever guise they feel justifies the means.  The devs should totally be allowed to protect themselves and their property from those folks, whether or not you, yourself, are going to be one of them. 

Have an analogy:  Do you lock your doors at night because you assume your friends are crooks, or because of that chance someone who really is a criminal is going to rattle your doorknob while you're not connected to the conscious world, come in, and take your stuff?  Should your friends feel that you are labeling them as potential criminals for locking your door?

Does that mean this is the best way to do it?  Maybe, maybe not.  We don't know what other options they're already looking into or have tried.

It could have been worse.  You could be completely locked out of the game without a connection. 

• Like 3

Dont forget that not only can you not earn gold offline, you can't encounter treasure too. So for much of the content, it IS online only.

So offline mode ends up being more a copy of the real game instead of the real game with awesome upgraded cards.  Still, I happen to really like my treasure cards helping my campaign/quest runs, so I will concede that point.  Here's hoping they find a better way to lock down gold without letting all the pretty, precious, shiny treasure cards be online-only.

Dont forget that not only can you not earn gold offline, you can't encounter treasure too. So for much of the content, it IS online only.

So offline mode ends up being more a copy of the real game instead of the real game with awesome upgraded cards.  Still, I happen to really like my treasure cards helping my campaign/quest runs, so I will concede that point.  Here's hoping they find a better way to lock down gold without letting all the pretty, precious, shiny treasure cards be online-only.

My biggest thing is that the treasure cards are something that they accept money for.  Regardless of whether or not they're needed, or people choose to use them or not (since you can turn them off) they accept money for them, so making them online only turns a portion (in fact, the most costly portion) of the game into online only.  Otherwise, they should call it a charitable donation to the company, rather than a purchase.

My biggest thing is that the treasure cards are something that they accept money for.  Regardless of whether or not they're needed, or people choose to use them or not (since you can turn them off) they accept money for them, so making them online only turns a portion (in fact, the most costly portion) of the game into online only.  Otherwise, they should call it a charitable donation to the company, rather than a purchase.

Hrmmm...  That IS a pretty compelling argument in favor of not being able to play at all unless online.

That might be a simple fix of only having a 1 way sync for treasure cards (IE chests can't be opened in offline, and treasure can't be gained, but your treasure cards are part of your world save. When you next go online it redownloads your Gallery)

• Like 1

I for one am just happy that I can play this in some capacity offline. I was prepared not to earn gold, but I'm also not a gold digger (ha!). I'm happy to pay up because I think this game is great. So for me, offline play might happen for a few hours on a plane trip, which isn't all that often at all, so I think it's fine.

I didn't realise that treasure cards also could not drop while offline. Is that right?

But even knowing that now, I'm still happy to have this offline at all.

Some have suggested some tweaks that may be able to be implemented. That would just make things even better.

I fully support the devs in their need to put a check in online for the gold system. Fully support it and understand it.:it does not assume everyone is out to rip them off at all like someone above suggested. That's over the top. It's simply an appropriate control method. How would anyone of you like knowing that the money in your bank account sits in a box somewhere that's not locked and accessible to the public, and it's generally only frowned upon if a member of the public opens it and steals from it. That's essentially what they're safeguarding from and I totally get it and 100% support it.

There was a discussion of it awhile back: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86876-store-gold-temporarily-on-the-device/?hl=gold

Basically it would be WAY too easy to hack, all someone would need to do is create a save editor then all the content would become free...

While this would be the case, if someone is going to the lengths creating a save editor then they likely could just make it unlock everything and then have no need for gold anyway?

There was a discussion of it awhile back: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86876-store-gold-temporarily-on-the-device/?hl=gold

Basically it would be WAY too easy to hack, all someone would need to do is create a save editor then all the content would become free...

While this would be the case, if someone is going to the lengths creating a save editor then they likely could just make it unlock everything and then have no need for gold anyway?

Not really, Your purchases and treasures are stored on the server, so every time you reconnect you would lose what you edited. Right now you could hack your game to have 1 BILLION gold, but as soon as you log in it will revert back.

As for the content, I don't know if it is already in the app or if it is an extra download, or needs a server verification to unlock.. If it is already in the app and doesn't need verification, then yes, you could in theory unlock it and play it without ever going online.

You might be able to edit your character decks and whatnot, but you couldn't, for example, unlock characters, adventures, and the C-deck on your save game.  That stuff's stored on the server (like Gold is).

You might be able to edit your character decks and whatnot, but you couldn't, for example, unlock characters, adventures, and the C-deck on your save game.  That stuff's stored on the server (like Gold is).

Not completely, otherwise you couldn't play them offline.

Not really, Your purchases and treasures are stored on the server, so every time you reconnect you would lose what you edited. Right now you could hack your game to have 1 BILLION gold, but as soon as you log in it will revert back.

As for the content, I don't know if it is already in the app or if it is an extra download, or needs a server verification to unlock.. If it is already in the app and doesn't need verification, then yes, you could in theory unlock it and play it without ever going online.

Point being though once everything is unlocked is you never need to go online again (aside from treasures, but then paying players don't get those for playing offline either), and playing online would actually make it worse for that individual, because it would lock out the game. So for most not going online (doesn't change the game-play) and not having treasures for a completely free game is a reasonable trade off.

Not one I'd agree with (if a company does a good job they deserve their money IMO), but lets face it there are a lot of clever hackers out there.

I'd be surprised if the gold amount is stored on the game at all. Your game sends events to the server, like +100 gold, but doesn't know what the total is. To allow it to work offline, they would have to keep a running log of everything that you do while offline, to audit when you reconnect. Otherwise you could just change your total.

In fact, you probably could cheat to gain gold now by faking those events, and probably making a play simulator, but it would be hard to detect.

I'd rather they just tank gold and make everything purchase, then this whole concern goes away, and you can play all content offline regardless.