They will suppress each other. It doesn't matter if the same caster did it or two different ones. Also, in that regard there's no difference between the native spell and spellbind item (Ring of Searing Flames).

Different casters:

combusting_wounds_diff.png

Same caster:

combusting_wounds_same.png

Tested 5 minutes ago with 3.02.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 months later...

They will suppress each other. It doesn't matter if the same caster did it or two different ones. Also, in that regard there's no difference between the native spell and spellbind item (Ring of Searing Flames).

Different casters:

combusting_wounds_diff.png

Same caster:

combusting_wounds_same.png

Tested 5 minutes ago with 3.02.

How often does Combusting Wounds proc? It says 5 damage over time for x seconds, but is it every second or every 5 seconds or what?

Normally a tick is 3 seconds. If you hit multiple times all those DoTs have their own ticks - I don't know if they get synchronized.

Wouldn't a .txt full combat log be great? One little Combusting Wounds and I no longer have any idea what is doing how much damage to whom in combat - I can only tell than non-fire-immune things are melting.

If you trigger it with multiple hits it's totally OP. Take for example blunderbusses, Spark the Souls of the Righteous on a whole party, Wall of Flames/Force or Missile Barrage. Or cast it on enemies who stand in multiple Chillfogs. You will generate a ton of parallel combusting wounds. Those get buffed by MIG and INT by the way. Even if only MIN damage gets through, foes will melt. It's especially good against tough foes.

I'm currently writing down my blunderbuss wizard build. Her single target damage because of Combusting Wounds is awesome.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Damage fell off for me. Early game he was popping enemies left and right, but when all you can do is cast a spell every few seconds into the battle I want them to actually do something impactful. And the damage just fell off of the earlier spells just letting him sit there to wait for another rotation while everyone else already downed one or more enemies. And when I go for a two man front line followed by Cipher, Chanter, Priest and Druid there's no room for a Wizard. Yeah I can see the wizard doing solo, but his self buffs are pointless in a team composition where is role is to hurt the enemy. I just found that whatever he does another class excells are more. CC? Cipher. AoE damage? Druid. Self buffs? I don't need those.

Even though wizard is powerful it's just quite tedious.

Ofc I can't compare myself to others, but I've learned the less effort I have to put into doing damage, the more damage I will do.

That's why cipher and chanter are so good for me personally.

And that's why I never use items like ring of searing flames, it's per rest and I  have to remember to use it.

Raven, one question out of interest... Do you use a priest for heals and buffs? Or do you use a paladin and a chanter to compensate and not having to rest? If so, how does it go (at least I know a few spells that would be greatly missed... prayers against, the for the faithful series, revivals, beacon, holy fire and pillars....)?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

It's not that I never rest, I just don't like having to rest for my abilities.

I use chanter heal for all, on harder fights moonwell scrolls, potions for end reg but also a lot of vital essence potions (during the Brynlod bounty GM used 4 of those, lol.)

No I don't like and use a a priest, I had Durance in my first party ever when PoE comes out, maybe that's the reason I dislike them, *wink*.

Prayer against I only use fear for dragons or the deathguards in Crägholdt, I don't need the others, since my paladin's defense is so absurdly high and if one of my companions gets charmed Sacred Immolation instantly reverses that since I have Aegis. (Mindweb sadfly only confers my will defense, which is quite low around 140 but the extra def the pala has against charm and the likes is made up by Aegis, righteous soul and that belt from WM2 which gives +20 to almost anything)

The same way I admit that a wizard is very strong I know goes for the priest, too. But let's be real why need a more powerful party if everything is already a breeze?

Having to reload once because I misjudged an encounter is not a proble for me and it happens rarely enough.

If I used damage shield chant instead of dragon trash I probably would never need to reload but fights also would take slightly longer.

My main weak point is at combat start when GM needs to build 80 focus, but since I got twin sting it's gotten a lot easier since I have 2 chances to get it without having to melee.

Once I go mindweb the encounter where I had to reload hasn't happened yet.

Let's keep in mind this is only 3 chars in the party, if I had my dream composition of 2 chanters and ciphers and a barbarian + my pala I'd still be as rest independent and unstoppable.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 2

The wizard has so many awesome spells. I can't even understand how he can fall off in terms of damage or CC. A wizard can do CC as well as damage, you don't need to bring two seperate chars for that. I also don't use self buffs when he's in the back row. But then he has so many other great spells. Chillfog alone is so good, Pull of Eora is one of the best CC spells there is (if not THE best), The Wall of Many Colors is ridiculously good - and the best of all: there are so many different spells that you can build your wizard in so many different ways. It's a lot of fun. You just have to unlearn to spare your spells. Just knock out cool spells all the time and every encounter is easy. After a few levels you have enough spells per rest so that you don't have to rest too often. Normally I have to rest because of low health before I even used half of my spells. And even for the "I don't like resting"-faction there's Blast and Arcane Assault (it's one of the best per low level encounter abilities out there). ONce you can get spell mastery Kalakoth's Minor Blights you'll have the best per encounter autoattack weapon in the game.

You can also spare a lot of spells with the Spirit Lance. It's base damage is so high - i killed the ogres in front of Nalrend's Cave with a solo (non-tanky) wizard with one single per rest-spell (Spirit Lance) in a few seconds. The rest was per encounter. FOr me, wizard is one of the best classes in the game. But to be honest I like them all. ;)

• Like 3

I think they are - for example all casters make the game a lot easier. But more important to me is if the classes are fun to play. Now I only have to find a rogue build which is fun (and not using spells/scrolls all the time of course). And nobody can say I didn't try hard... ;)

Edited by Boeroer

I still need to playtest my Rogue idea, it should be survivable and yet still a classical Rogue in a lot of respects - and on par with other classes in terms of what it offers. My new Barbarian idea is probably going to take precedence however - I think the concept is much more broadly appealing than a decent Rogue. As I mentioned elsewhere, it's one of the problems with soloing all the time.

I think the biggest issue with Rogues is their low endurance, things like low Deflection can be worked upon but it is hard to properly offset their lack of endurance. For the build I have in mind, I was going to take 17 Con to hit 300+ endurance with Gift from the Machine at level 16 (and retain decent health to boot) - but realistically that's a hell of a lot to sink into an attribute which is not very good. I think they should have been a x5 endurance or health class (with the former they'd be much sturdier, with the latter you could focus on healing them to keep them alive). It's absurd for a fighting class to have both that low endurance/health and that low a Deflection too.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

Yes - when you try to build a sturdy rogue with a lot of self healing (Veteran's Recovery + Shod-in-Faith and whatnot) he still dies all the time because health gets eaten up sooo quickly. One encounter where he eats some hits and his health bar is red. It's a chore to keep him alive. :( And if you go the deflection way he's not better than a fighter in anything because he HAS TO take a shield.

Edited by Boeroer

The combo of decent Con, plate and the Blunting Belt really helps to get a Rogue up to speed early game so they don't take much damage - late game it's not such an issue. At 17 Con, my Rogue would have more health than my Gunslinger build did - and though he was good at distracting the enemy through used of the Animated Weapons he still did have to take some hits, so I think 17 Con would work.

Maybe I will just make a "Provisional Builds" thread and sketch out the idea quickly (as well as one or two of my others) - with builds like this it's only a matter of time before someone else resourceful comes up with the same idea on their own so it's nice to stake a claim. It would also be a nice catchall for people in the same boat, I say it's better for ideas to be out their so people can have fun with them rather than me hoarding them for months on end while I slowly play through - when they're complete a full class build can still be written up (things always do change slightly when the build is actually tested). I'll probably make the thread in the morning, the writing part will still take a lot of time even with a brief post of the concept ;)

Or you can just take Wound Binding, with my current build plan I was vacillating between that and Envenomed Strike. Given what I said about that my Chanter had enough health and this Rogue would have more, I'm giving the edge to Strike - it's just too good with decent Might and Int.

I think they are - for example all casters make the game a lot easier. But more important to me is if the classes are fun to play. Now I only have to find a rogue build which is fun (and not using spells/scrolls all the time of course). And nobody can say I didn't try hard... ;)

Well everybody except rogue and fighter have "caster" damage output.

The cipher and chanter probably have highest overall output and the chanter isn't even really a caster.

Paladin with SA is crazy too and not at all a caster, sure you need level 13, but let's be honest you can avoid any harder fights till then by just doing quests and some of the bounties.

For the build I have in mind, I was going to take 17 Con to hit 300+ endurance with Gift from the Machine at level 16 (and retain decent health to boot) - but realistically that's a hell of a lot to sink into an attribute which is not very good. 

Well, in all seriousness, what else are you going to sink your points into?  Might as well be CON.

Might: Good to have, but eclipsed by damage bonii from Sneak Attack & Deathblows.  I like it, but CON might be better.

Dex: Unless you plan to swing a two hander, probably not needed.

Per: Probably the best stat on a Rogue.

Int: Honestly, I consider it dump-able all the way to 3.  Grab Wounding enchanted weapon and profit!  

Res: Could be worth increasing to take the extra deflection.

My last run was with a Death Godlike dual wielding Rogue with max'd Per, CON, Might, dumped INT.  I used daggers and pretty much wrecked everything in Act 1 [which I know doesn't say much].  I played it to increase my difficulty and made it POTD, TOI & Expert mode.  So, anyway it was an aborted run.  I wasn't paying attention to my health score and I got whacked in Maerwald's room.  Expert mode is quite unforgiving!

• Like 1

For the build I have in mind, I was going to take 17 Con to hit 300+ endurance with Gift from the Machine at level 16 (and retain decent health to boot) - but realistically that's a hell of a lot to sink into an attribute which is not very good. 

Well, in all seriousness, what else are you going to sink your points into?  Might as well be CON.

I'll post the Provisional Builds thread tomorrow and you'll find out ;) The attribute spread I developed for this Rogue is the most specific I've ever done, pretty much every attribute I can point to and say there is a specific reason as to why it is what it is.

Edited by Jojobobo