EU Members : Your view on the UK leaving

BruceVC

Sup All

Jaded inspired me to make this post, this is to all EU forum members

How do you feel about the UK possibly leaving? Do you care ....does it matter?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

i don't think it matters much because UK did the smart thing and never adopted euro as it's currency so there will be minimal impact to both the UK and the rest of EU... actually Germany may even profit from a brexit because there will certainly be a drop (however small) in the value of the euro that will boost exports. 

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Here's to hoping that it will show the growing federal bureaucracy that nations will seriously consider leaving the union if they don't tone it down.

And maybe we can get back to a trade union rather than a social and political one.

• Like 11

Fortune favors the bald.

i don't think it matters much because UK did the smart thing and never adopted euro as it's currency so there will be minimal impact to both the UK and the rest of EU... actually Germany may even profit from a brexit because there will certainly be a drop (however small) in the value of the euro that will boost exports. 

tek you seem to have  a good view of economics, what do you do for  a living?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Here's to hoping that it will show the growing federal bureaucracy that nations will seriously consider leaving the union if they don't tone it down.

And maybe we can get back to a trade union rather than a social and political one.

Yeah, one can't help but get the feeling that if there were three options available in the referendum with the 3rd being basically 'European trade bloc only, thanks' that 3rd option would win with a landslide; and certainly not just in Britain either.

• Like 1

They would be against massive efforts by globalists who have far more influence, the reason we are having a lot of these debates is because they haven't found a way to regulate the flow of information in the Internet. Otherwise you're left trying to beat them within their spheres of influence, namely traditional media.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

most of what i know is second hand knowledge and educated guesses based on that knowledge.

i have a small business... but considering the status of the economy right now i don't think i'll be able to keep it for long.

i mean seriously, this year i broke even (profit-expenses=39euro left) and i had to pay over 2000 euro in taxes for that 39 euro of profit... and then they wonder why any business that can is leaving the country

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

most of what i know is second hand knowledge and educated guesses based on that knowledge.

i have a small business... but considering the status of the economy right now i don't think i'll be able to keep it for long.

i mean seriously, this year i broke even (profit-expenses=39euro left) and i had to pay over 2000 euro in taxes for that 39 euro of profit... and then they wonder why any business that can is leaving the country

Yes the Greece economy is under unprecedented pressure, it must be very hard

But compared to Greece how is Spain doing in your opinion?

John Milton 

I don't know if Rosbjerg was old enough to vote against the Maastricht treaty, but I fully share his view :lol:

I may not be a US citizen, but I can fully relate to Guarddog's resentment against monstrously sized administrations and remmoving normal people completely from influence (EU is run by lobbyist, nothing more, nothing less).

Good on the UK if they can kick the rotten to the core card house enough to make collapse.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i'm not very informed on Spain's situation but i don't think it's any better

EU should either revert back to a trade union with completely independent countries or create a central economic policy to go along the euro (same salaries for the same job, same prices for the same products and same taxes for all countries that use euro). right now we have central regulations that are enforced on all countries, but these regulations are made by the wealthier countries for their own profit and are ruining the smaller countries instead of being for the benefit of all EU citizens.

for example: in all EU, small islands have a 5-8% sales tax reduction compared to the mainland of the country to keep the prices in line with the rest because the transport of goods is expensive. however they forced Greece to remove that tax reduction on the islands and that will have a big impact on prices and tourism. and who benefits from it? Germany! because tourists will prefer the less expensive coast of Turkey that currently is full of german owned hotels.

-Teknoman2-

I don't know if Rosbjerg was old enough to vote against the Maastricht treaty, but I fully share his view :lol:

I may not be a US citizen, but I can fully relate to Guarddog's resentment against monstrously sized administrations and remmoving normal people completely from influence (EU is run by lobbyist, nothing more, nothing less).

Good on the UK if they can kick the rotten to the core card house enough to make collapse.

Gorthfuscious !!! Please we are trying to be positive. No need to intimidate and scare the younger members like Ros or Elerond

There is no need to bring up the dark times of the Maastricht treaty, remember Gorthie that was your failure, your cross to bare  :cat:

Now Gorthie darling the  good news is if you seek absolution for those times I will grant  it to you  :teehee:

John Milton 

I was nine at the time, but would probably have voted yes at the time if I could (not today though).. it's fairly recently that I've become more sceptic towards the EU - simply because they've proven themselves inefficient too many times. I do share the ideological goal they peddle though, I'm a big fan of a strong government working FOR the people against selfish monetary interests, but EU isn't that and won't be in it's current form.

A Scandinavian union though - sign me right the **** up. I could even live with the political capital being in Sweden ;)

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

I was nine at the time, but would probably have voted yes at the time if I could (not today though).. it's fairly recently that I've become more sceptic towards the EU - simply because they've proven themselves inefficient too many times. I do share the ideological goal they peddle though, I'm a big fan of a strong government working FOR the people against selfish monetary interests, but EU isn't that and won't be in it's current form.

A Scandinavian union though - sign me right the **** up. I could even live with the political capital being in Sweden ;)

If it is Copenhagen as the political capital, then i'll back you without a second thought. Stockholm can be the center of trade or something.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ros this is dangerous tallk, I thought you Danes were commmitted ? Ros dont make me bring Gromnir to this debate....

But do you mind explaining with examples when you say they were inefficient 

John Milton 

Ros this is dangerous tallk,

You shouldn't stay in an abusive relationship simply because you're too afraid of what will happen if you're single.

Democracy has taken a serious back seat to corporate interests - and while there are great examples of EU citizen rights trumping buisness interests, the endorsement of TTIP alone should be enough to send anyone running for the woods screaming.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Ros this is dangerous tallk,

You shouldn't stay in an abusive relationship simply because you're too afraid of what will happen if you're single.

Democracy has taken a serious back seat to corporate interests - and while there are great examples of EU citizen rights trumping buisness interests, the endorsement of TTIP alone should be enough to send anyone running for the woods screaming.

But on a serious note the EU isn't a relationship and does have different considerations :cat:

But I know that was just a metaphor but it just worries as you have always liked the EU 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I'm old enough to have voted several times on various EU treaties and the euro, in more than one country, actually. I'm also old enough to fully grasp why the EU exists - it's an attempt to keep Europe together in the aftermath of two world wars. Sorta "never again. Let's create a pseudo-European community and a Kafka bureaucracy!"

Nonetheless, I've always voted against it. I didn't want to join it, I didn't want to support that lobbyist black hole and all of its duties. Need I even mention the farming policies?

I'd love to see great trade treaties, though - not just European, but global ones, for our region - and relatively easy border crossing between the countries, including work, education and all that.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I still recall how the Danes have voted against various EU policies and the Euro, even against the ratification of the Maastricht treaty in 1992.

I envy that Danish courage and cheekiness immensely.

Any day that I feel a bit rebellous, I still hum the following tune to myself:

Vi er røde, vi er hvide

And Yes, I loved the chain-smoking soccer-player Preben Elkjær in the 80s (a hero in the Danish national team). I reckon, he's the coolest soccer player ever!

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I honestly can't empathize because I grew up in the US since democracy(or popular sovereignty of you're a "'Murcia is a Reepubwic" guy) had been tossed out the back seat to make more room for private interests. I can certainly show sympathy though, the EU seems like a horrible mess of neoliberal oligarchy and it seems better to leave it than try and reform it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've always wondered what might have been if Canute's line had been stronger or if Harald had won against Harold and William in 1066.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

World war 2 would've been nr 5 and a lot bloodier.

Ros, Nonek  has blocked me so I cant ask him myself but cant you ask him how he will be voting and why he is voting that way? He will have some good insights on BREXIT 

John Milton 

World war 2 would've been nr 5 and a lot bloodier.

Perhaps, the warlike nature of the Normans certainly points to such an outcome.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!