3.03 patch. Where is it?

To be honest, I don’t think comparisons with other games are particularly productive. There’s a lot of subjective judgement involved, and it doesn’t really matter (at least not to me) how good or bad Skyrim or Diablo III or whatever other game is in regards to bugs. Two wrongs don’t make a right. And excuse me, but the argument that it’s not cost-effective to fix (potentially) game-breaking bugs is definitely not a sensible way to run a lasting business. If I told that to a customer, they’d think I’d be joking—and rightfully so. (I have a tech background. I kinda know how hard—and what a mess—QA is. I can relate.) From the customer’s point of view, we should be allowed to expect a product that’s free of any major issues. Even more so after almost 1.5 years and two paid expansions. Obsidian didn’t patch the game for all the time out of the goodness of their hearts. They did it because they were working on expansions (and possibly also on improving the engine for future titles), and, as I understand it, they actually introduced new issues.

Obsidian does a lot of things right, and I really like PoE, and I’ve been a fan of the Black Isle stuff for half my life, but, you know, the game’s almost 1.5 years old, and I… am “waiting” for a patch to play it. Sorry, that’s just how it is. As far as I’m concerned, we don’t need to be overly dramatic about this, but, well… :) (Don’t ask my friend who’s waiting for the novella, though.)

Edited by Sir Ray of Light

And excuse me, but the argument that it’s not cost-effective to fix (potentially) game-breaking bugs is definitely not a sensible way to run a lasting business.

That's the second time I see this argument and I still have no idea who said anything along those lines. We know Obsidian has fixed the game-breaking bugs. The fixes are present in the beta version of 3.03 patch. Presumably, at this moment (aside from being on a vacation), Obsidian is also working on not introducing further bugs into the game before releasing final vesion of 3.03. All in all, in this particular instance, waiting a bit will even help improve it as more bugs are likely to surface, if they are present. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

That's the second time I see this argument and I still have no idea who said anything along those lines. We know Obsidian has fixed the game-breaking bugs. The fixes are present in the beta version of 3.03 patch. Presumably, at this moment (aside from being on a vacation), Obsidian is also working on not introducing further bugs into the game before releasing final vesion of 3.03

I was referring to e. g. Karkarov in #45.

<quote>

Asking for a bug free game is a monumental ask whether you like it or not, it isn't "unreasonable" to ask for it but it isn't something any company has ever done on anything other than a console. Even then it is extremely rare. Wanting a bug free game is understandable and all game companies should try to get there. Asking for a significant work force to patch a single player game, that only has 2 significant (but definitely not game breaking) bugs left, that is almost 1.5 years old, and is no longer making significant income... ? That's pretty unreasonable.

</quote>

I admit that one could argue whether the bug really is game-breaking or not, but that’s a bit of a moot point in a game with elaborate debugging features.

I know that there seems to be a fix since at least the 17th of May, but it’s still beta and it’s Steam-only.

Edit: As an owner of the GOG version (and as I understand it), I have two options right now: 1) Wait for the patch./Not play the game. 2) Avoid (quick)saving (?) whenever possible.

Just to clarify: I absolutely DON’T want Obsidian to rush the final (?) patch. I prefer quality. I’m just trying to give a bit of support to everyone who’s upset about the way this whole thing turned out. It’s not the end of the world, but I can understand it.

Edited by Sir Ray of Light

I'll be blunt, Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction released in 2001, World of Warcraft released in 2004. As far as I'm concerned, it was WoW that brought Blizzard serious bank, and yet the patching was very good on Diablo 2 up until that point regardless. So yes, the comparison is completely valid, and maybe you should have fact checked before you threw your opinion out there.

And no, a 10 man team for a week isn't the most ridiculous thing ever. I appreciate it's costly, but as Pillars fans are the very reason they aren't on the breadline in the first place some cost is fine.

Blizzard was already a fast growing company. WoW may had skyrocketed their earnings, but they weren't exactly low before it was launched. The analogy is not right as they were a very well stablished company at that moment with 3 very popular franchises.

Anyways, people are too eager to vent their own frustrations on people who just want to enjoy the game right now and feel like they can't, calling them unreasonable. To continue the trend, i will be blunt, the moment you put a beta patch that fixes potentially gamebreaking bugs which is only accessible on one platform withouth giving a valid alternative for GoG users, you are pissing your own cesspool (read as clients). And it shows.

Is it true that in a few months this won't be a problem at all ? 

Is it true that if everyone had access to the beta patch this wouldn't happen ?

Let people complain and don't stir the pot.

Edited by Keldaur

Jeez I am so tired of people complaining about bugs in games. It's the way it is - deal with it.

All gaming studios struggle with it - mainly because games are so much more complex than they used to be. And anyone who thinks that games never had problems in the past should take their rose tinted glasses off. Games have always had bugs and will always have them in the future. The only solution to the issue is for devs to try and patch them. And devs who do support the game after it's release should be commended. Obs have been really good in that regard. Obviously they are having issues with something in the latest patch otherwise they would have released it already. Contrary to popular belief gaming companies do not intentionally try to piss their customer base off.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Most video game companies simply cannot afford to have 5 or 10 people patching the game a year after release, sadly. Pillars is no exception. 

Everyone in the universe knows that Blizzard is an exceptional case, although we all wish that were the norm.

Hopefully 3.03 comes through for GOG players in particular - patching across Steam/GOG has been ridiculous in many games that I've seen and it's probably some years off until GOG Galaxy / etc makes it possible to catch up.

From my years of Bethesda games, I don't ever quick save.

I've played thru the game a few times and the only bug I've found was back in the day of my companions who are not in the party seen in random dungeon walls, that was when the game first came out and never saw it again after the first expansion came out.

Those who are waiting for the patch, why wait? Turn off quick save, manual save and enjoy the game :) also the many characters I've created, I've never ran across the stacking bug at all.

• Like 1

I've played thru the game a few times and the only bug I've found was back in the day of my companions who are not in the party seen in random dungeon walls, that was when the game first came out and never saw it again after the first expansion came out.

Those who are waiting for the patch, why wait? Turn off quick save, manual save and enjoy the game :) also the many characters I've created, I've never ran across the stacking bug at all.

I don't care about the stacking bug even if it is annoying. No I care about the journal bug which for me makes the game so frustrating and annoying that it isn't worth playing until the patch comes out that fixes the issue.

We're not all waiting for one particular bug to be fixed but there are a few issues that they are fixing in the 3.03 patch that we're waiting for.

Now I don't mind waiting for the patch to come out as long as they fix as much as possible with it. I got other games to play in the meantime but I can understand those who are getting annoyed with the wait time for the patch.

• Like 1

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

And excuse me, but the argument that it’s not cost-effective to fix (potentially) game-breaking bugs is definitely not a sensible way to run a lasting business.

That's the second time I see this argument and I still have no idea who said anything along those lines. We know Obsidian has fixed the game-breaking bugs.

You are making a mistake.  You are assuming what they are calling "game breaking bugs" are actually in fact "game breaking bugs".  They aren't.  Eternity has never had very many game breaking bugs and any that were there has been fixed some time ago.

Meanwhile.... Jojobo... where in your right mind are you getting these numbers?  You have no clue how fast this patch can be ready to release, you don't know how many people are on it now, and there is absolutely no freaking way in hell anyone can know for a fact putting 10 more people on it for one week will be some magical catch all fix that will see it pushed out tomorrow.  Get over it.  You are asking for something unreasonable and it isn't going to happen no matter how much you complain or use flawed logic to make yourself believe it is reasonable.

Common sense rules the day at the Friendly Arm.

• Like 1

That's the second time I see this argument and I still have no idea who said anything along those lines. We know Obsidian has fixed the game-breaking bugs.

You are making a mistake.  You are assuming what they are calling "game breaking bugs" are actually in fact "game breaking bugs".  They aren't.  Eternity has never had very many game breaking bugs and any that were there has been fixed some time ago.

Meanwhile.... Jojobo... where in your right mind are you getting these numbers?  You have no clue how fast this patch can be ready to release, you don't know how many people are on it now, and there is absolutely no freaking way in hell anyone can know for a fact putting 10 more people on it for one week will be some magical catch all fix that will see it pushed out tomorrow.  Get over it.  You are asking for something unreasonable and it isn't going to happen no matter how much you complain or use flawed logic to make yourself believe it is reasonable.

10 is an arbitrary number and an a week was an arbitrary length, the point is they could be doing more and they could be putting more people on it - or splitting the focus less of the people who are currently on it. I guess as you say though, I should just "get over it" and enjoy the fact that Obsidian is using those resources elsewhere.

But I get it, we should cut them infinite slack, even though the wait already has been huge. We have entirely differing stances on this issue, and I get it you think I'm small minded and can't grasp the bigger picture of running a business, etc. I'm saying I can, but it's been too long now.

Those who are waiting for the patch, why wait? Turn off quick save, manual save and enjoy the game  :) also the many characters I've created, I've never ran across the stacking bug at all.

It actually affects any save, manual/auto/quick. I presume it affects quick-savers worst because they're so used to just hitting quicksave multiple times in any given map, but it does affect all saves.

Given the rest mechanic, and the fact it's not exactly uncommon to want to (a) save on a map and (b) come back to an area with more camping supplies (hence autosaving) it is a particularly nasty bug - even if it's only certain talents and abilities it stacks. It's especially punitive for solo players/people who use glass cannons/people who play with a party of fewer than 6 - which is quite a lot of people. To me, I would say it is borderline game-breaking, and does require counter-intuitive gameplay (i.e. not using the rest mechanics as you normally would due to autosaving also triggering the bug: use of camping supplies requiring you to go purchase more triggering an additional save) in order to minimise its impact and make the game more playable. Do you really think, if it was just as simple as not quick-saving, people would be complaining this much? I'm not just some insane moron who literally can't help but hit quicksave all the time.

It's literally a case where last night I was clearing another level of the Endless Paths, and I'd been playing for about half an hour without saving to avoid the stacking bug. But then of course, one of my summons gets paralysed before it dies, meaning it will appear of every map ever from then on in (another charming Obsidian bug). So I have to choose between an emersion breaking crapfest, or literally just try again and waste half an hour of my time.

I decided the "waste half an hour" option. I don't know, maybe people around here think it's hilarious to waste their free time for no good reason, but I sure as hell don't.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

Oh, they still have not fixed this game and fanboys are still defending the buggy mess.

Surprise!

Oh.... wait.

No it's not.

"Buggy mess", no not really? And no one is "defending" it. But you'd know that if you actually read the bloody thread. Just go away and troll elsewhere. There are better ways to time.

• Like 1

So I have a question, apparently on GoG for macs they don't do the update patches (e.g. 3.02 -> 3.03) requiring fresh downloads for both the main game and the expansions (don't worry Windows and Linux players, for some reason they do the update patches for you - just not for macs  :facepalm:).

From this, do I need to uninstall and reinstall the game or will the installers overwrite the relevant files in the first place?