Hi!

I wonder: since when does Envenomed Strike work with Blast? I just tried it out with a blasting wizard who uses Rot Skulls (from Father's Teeth) + Envenomed Strike.

Result: all enemies in the area of the blast got poisoned from Envenomed Strike. And they also suffered from the corrode DoT of Rot Skulls, but that is the normal behavior. However - those two DoT "posionous" effects did stack and took down Nalrend's band after some seconds.

I then went on and tried it with a normal implement and then with Kalakoth's Minor Blights. In every case blast works with Envenomed Strike - which is pretty powerful I think.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

For a while now at least, I've used it before. Not sure from which version onwards though, but it's just the same principle as applies to the Soulbound Scepter dominate effect triggering on blast. It should also work with Carnage by the way, I'd expect, though I don't recall having tried it. 

Envenomed Strike also works rather nicely with blunderbuss by the way, if you want to increase your chances of hits / crits on high Fortitude targets.

• Like 1

Does envenomed strike propagate to essential and substantial phantoms. . . ? For that matter, does lesser wounding shot and outlander's frenzy?

Envenomed strike will probably work with Ranger's powder burns, similar to wounding shot, where you get the normal weapon attack attack the powder burn flame cone and driving flight at the same plus envenomed strike on the the primary target (envenomed wouldn't apply to enemies inside the cone AoE and probably not the bounce target). This gives you 5 very strong shots in an encounter. I wonder if it's worth switching to swift aim during the reloads.

Edited by MasterCipher

No, phantoms don't get active abilities - only exceptions are rings. At least that was the case some time ago (2.03 when I last checked I guess).  

Concerning Powder Burns: It's worth a try.

Yeah - Blast is like carnage. It's like a barbarian inside a wizard - with 10 DR bypass... ;)

If Envenomed Strike works - does Runner's Wounding Shot, too?

And what about Glittering Gauntlets? Do they daze in an AoE with Blast?

Edited by Boeroer

Wounding Shot does, yes (Sneak Attack doesn't, annoyingly). Glittering Gauntlets don't seem to work at all on ranged attacks, not sure whether that's intentional. It might be though, it's hard to dazzle the enemy with your splendour from a distance, after all. It's a bit buggy anyway, on melee attack it says *EffectError* in the description (though it does still Daze in that case, so that's just cosmetic). The Gauntlets do work with Carnage.

Concerning Powder Burns: It's worth a try.

Envenomed Strike doesn't work with Powder Burns. Like at all :(

The charge per-rest is used, attack is fired, but the DoT is not applied. Same as with Wounding Shot.

And what about Glittering Gauntlets? Do they daze in an AoE with Blast?

As for those gloves:

Dazzling Gauntlets only triggers off melee attacks. I wrote up a report saying the description needs to be updated.  I'll currently looking into the issue if unarmed attacks are not procing daze.

Edited by MaxQuest

That's a shame. But what about driving flight? It works with Stunning Shots - so maybe also with Envenomed Strike? In theory you could poison 3 enemies with twinned arrows. Sometimes the driving flight targets two different enemies.

Yes, I also tried it in the meantime.

But what does work is Citzal's Spirit Lance. It's relatively big "blast" AoE leads to a whole bunch of poisoned enemies. :D

Envenomed Strike + Wizard: I look at it as an additional AoE poison spell which does 100 raw damage and has 3 uses per rest. Way better than the lame bonus spell talents, isn't it? ;)

• Like 3

That would be too powerful. It used to be that way - and everybody fetched a blunderbuss and applied Envenomed Strike six times. :)

However - there is still a nice effect with Minor Blights (by the way: I still wonder what Major Blights might look like): Because of the multiple hits there is a much higher chance of applying the optimal duration of Envenomed Strike - because a graze or hit might get overwritten by a hit or crit. At least I suppose it works like that.

• Like 1

I like taking outlander's frenzy on wizard and spell mastery with minor blights and essential phantom. Cast minor blights before essential phantom.

If my wizard hits the same target 3 times with blast fun and my my phantom also hits 3 times, how does combusting wounds stack (hoping it does) ?

Your phantom doesn't get Minor Blights just because you have it (at least this was the case some patches ago).

It gets your other items with the passive buffs on it, but no spell binding whatsoever. Even rings don't work anymore. What they get is spell holding - so Sanguine Plate, Shod-in-Faith an so on will work. Also retaliation items work. You can put on Binding Rope and your duplicate will cause stuck when hit. Actually - the Essential and Substancial Phantom can make great spell holding decoys and heal the entire frontline with Consecrated Ground (can you cast withdraw on them? That would be so awesome). All the items that do something on x% endurance or unconciousness like Coloroed Coat or the Martyr amulet work with them. Essential Phantom as spell mastery plus Shod-in-Faith plus Belt of Bountiful Healing + St. Borragias Tears can withstand a lot of punishment. If you put on the Colored Coat, Band of Union and the martyr amulet you can just cast your phantom in the front line and let it die - you will cast Instill Doubt + Wicked Briars and get +30% attack speed in an AoE fpr 30 secs once per encounter + up to 6 times per rest if you want.

But what doesn't translate to your duplicate are your weapons. It alsways spawns with it's own shocking wand. But I think that Heart of the Storm works with that weapon. But I'm not 100% sure. Hard to test that...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

That would be too powerful. It used to be that way - and everybody fetched a blunderbuss and applied Envenomed Strike six times. :)

Aye, it would :)

by the way: I still wonder what Major Blights might look like

It must be a blunting sight to see)

Because of the multiple hits there is a much higher chance of applying the optimal duration of Envenomed Strike - because a graze or hit might get overwritten by a hit or crit. At least I suppose it works like that.

Pretty close. The game checks if the duration of new appliance is greater than remaining duration from current one; and if so, it overrides it.
  • Like 1

Pretty close. The game checks if the duration of new appliance is greater than remaining duration from current one; and if so, it overrides it.

To illustrate how well that works: if the differential ACC - FORT is 0 you still have a 98% chance of scoring a hit. It only drops to the usual 50% at a differential of -39 (and you'd still have only 2.4% chance if a Miss). And at a +10 differential you already have a 47% chance on a Crit and 53% chance on a hit (there's actually 0.4% chance on a Graze in the rounding somewhere, but that's hardly worth mentioning; and a 1 in 64 million chance of a Miss). 

So even without the poison stacking, Blunderbuss is still the ideal weapon for delivering venom. Obviously, because the inherent -10 ACC you can in some cases have lower Crit probability, but since the hit probability for Blunderbuss will still tend to be vastly higher I'd say it still comes out on top overall.

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 1

Actually, my above probabilities are off, I forgot to account for the fact that of course the Envenomed Strike won't occur at all if you miss with the original attack. So the probabilities will be a bit lower, though it's a bit more difficult to quantify them as the actual EV probabilities will thus depend on both Deflection and Fortitude. If we simplify and assume that Deflection and Fortitude are the same though, you get the following probabilities (Miss / Graze / Hit / Crit):

- Differential = -40: 26% / 50% / 24% / 0%

- Differential = -30: 12% / 38% / 50% / 0%

- Differential = 0: 0% / 4% / 96% / 0%

- Differential = +10: 0% / 1% / 54% / 45%

I've also made some plots comparing the Blunderbuss EV hit/crit probabilities and expected duration (in multiples of standard EV duration) versus a normal single shot weapon (reference). Horizontal axis shows the differential for the reference weapon, the Blunderbuss is assumed to differ only by the -10 ACC inherent to the weapon. 

post-163298-0-37178400-1466344169_thumb.png

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 2

Confirmed: Rot Skull's AoE, which does corrode DoT, also works with Envenomed Strike. They both stack to a ridicilous amount of AoE DoT. One attack with this combo is enough for most enemies (who are not immune to posion of course). 

Will test if the spiritshifted stag's carnage also works with it. Barb's carnage doesn't, as was pointed out, but I'm curious to see if stag's carnage uses the same mechanics.

Edited by Boeroer