I tested a little more the buff from Comtessa's Gage and here's how it works...

If you do 26-38dmg with your sabre the game does 38-26=12 and adds 25% of that to your min dmg - with the buff you will do 29-38dmg instead of 26-38. Overall it's a 4.5% multiplicative increase of your melee dps. The class who benefits the most from it is of course the rogue...

Confident Aim works diferently - it increases your min damage by 20% - in the sabre example that would be 31.2-38dmg - which is a 8% multiplicative increase in dps...

I'm not sure however how they stack with each other...

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 6

Cool - thanks for that info. How did you find out? Does Comtessa's Gage change the min damage on the char sheet or did you have to monitor a quadrupizillion number of hits? :) 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Like for confident aim you see nothing on the character sheet. I had to do it the hard way checking enough hits and trying to understand the description "25% damage range guaranteed" - it reduces the difference between the max and min damage (the damage range) by 25% (the min damage is increased by 25% of that difference) - now it makes more sense and it's also what I observed during the test...

• Like 1

My... then I raise it to M-M-M-M-M-Monsterthanks! :)

But wait - maybe I'm wrong but... I think I remember that when I tried out a fighter build a couple of days ago Confident Aim's min dmg bonus was displayed on the character sheet.  :unsure:

• 1 year later...

I tested a little more the buff from Comtessa's Gage and here's how it works...

If you do 26-38dmg with your sabre the game does 38-26=12 and adds 25% of that to your min dmg - with the buff you will do 29-38dmg instead of 26-38. Overall it's a 4.5% multiplicative increase of your melee dps. The class who benefits the most from it is of course the rogue...

Confident Aim works diferently - it increases your min damage by 20% - in the sabre example that would be 31.2-38dmg - which is a 8% multiplicative increase in dps...

I'm not sure however how they stack with each other...

So actually increasing your minimum dmg, substantially confident aim lower the power of comtessa gage? Upper min dmg means less difference between min and max dmg, so minor dmg bonus overall, if i understand correctly

Edit:

Using your example:

With confident aim you do 31,8-38 dmg.

Using comtessa gage

--> 38-31,8= 6,8

---> 6,8 * 0,25 = 1,7. --> new range is 33,5-38 dmg

So in mean you have 35,75 dmg with gage vs 34,9 without. --> 2,4% multiplicative dps increase instead than 4,5.

Do you agree? This means that is a bad item for a fighter...

Edited by Dr <3

The question is what comes first. If first Comtessa's Gage gets calculated and then Confident Aim it's pretty cool. If it's the other way round it's not so cool. It could also be that both get calculated seperately and just get added. I never read about a proper test about this. But I know that Kaylon said not long ago that with both enabled you basically have pretty uniform damage rolls. 

Edited by Boeroer

Uhm good point. Need to test this. I'm tring a dps warrior and was googling around for the best dps item for every slot. Obviusly at "gloves" the competitors are swift aim, precision, puissant melee; but i was curious about this item