Ideas for the best 3-4 person party

Lini, Lem, Amiri for three... Or Lini, Lem, Merciel

Lini, Seoni, Amiri, Mersiel for four...

But in reality allmost any combination works. It is just preferences.

But is nice to have arcane, Divine, melee and ranged character so that you can use all cards that you find during adventures.

But in reality allmost any combination works. It is just preferences.

But is nice to have arcane, Divine, melee and ranged character so that you can use all cards that you find during adventures.

This. And to have a variety of skills (mostly CHA, WIS, DEX, STR) covered for closing locations.

<3 Meri, Kyra, Seoni, Amiri. From a powergaming perspective, I would toss in Lini instead of Kyra, but I spent to much time with her that I can live with her shortcomings (which is mainly her lousy base STR die).

But as Hannibal said, many 3-4 player combos will work just fine. And it's not only the party setup, it's the player's experience (I still learn new things every day) and 20% of luck that turns games.

I love Lini, Sajan, and Merisel.

Now that I am awake:

Lini gets an automatic +1d4 bonus to ALL her checks, she is a great closer, gatherer, etc. Pack her up with some cures, Augery, Aid (Basic, Improved, or Greater), and some Attack spells. Make her first card bonus a weapon, and give her a Heavy Crossbow. BOOM awesome well rounded character who can support all your other characters.

Sajan has his Blessings power, slap some amulets, spyglasses, healing staffs (later), and some allies that let you explore on him, and he can clear locations pretty fast, and do AWESOME damage, as well as providing blessings for the other characters if you are in a pinch. Build up his Fortitude first so that when you get Drunken Master, gives the staffs to Meri and take Healing Potions. He becomes a POWER HOUSE.

Meri is just a great damage dealer, once she is proficient with weapons, she can use some of the bigger bows, but even before that, Deathbane Crossbow and a Heavy Crossbow provide excellent damage. Once she gets the Healing staffs, and the Snakeskin Armor it increases her self reliance a lot, which benefits her loner powers (Sneak Attack), especially with Sajan supplying extra blessings and Lini casting Aid.

IMO it is my favorite self-reliant yet supportive team.

I rather like making lini into a decent melee fighter, with the animal bonus of 1d4+X, even her normal d4 STR is enough to kill weak monsters with any weapon, and she always has the option of discarding to make her STR die a d10.

Add the static bonus from a magic weapon and maybe put one or two skill feats in str, and suddently you're starting to get a nice static base bonus.

I love using a magic scythe with her : 

STR die d4+1 (one skill feat)

Weapon bonus : +2d4+1

Animal companion : +1d4+3

Total : 4d4+5, with all 4s counting as 5 (the scythe power is not limited to d4 from the weapon), so 9-25, with an average slightly above 15, and this is only for revealing cards in your hand, not even recharging anything.

This will also benefit greatly from all characters that can add a d4 (Lem or Valeros in same location, or our beloved dwarf ranger from any other location), as well as some of the orbs found in treasure chest (a nice flamestorm orb for +2d4 ? Yes please)

Of course this will be hgarder to increase with blessing as the base die is only d4, but that's when you use the animal form.

i use the rogue, the cleric and the sorceress

personaly it's my opinion that any 3 person party is fine as long as you have

- 1 person with high wisdom and/or survival

- 1 person with high dex

- 1 person with high arcane and/or charisma/intelligence

Edited by teasel
  • Like 1

I use Sajan, Kyra, Seoni and Harsk.

It's a total of 31 blessing for a whole party (when maxed out) making it possible to get a 2 dice blessing for pretty much any check. Harsk's ability work's perfect with both Kyra (amplifying her mediocre combat dice) and Sajan (Allows to pass some combat checks without using own blessing). Both Kyra and Sajan can burn through their decks to explore 4-5 cards a turn and then get healed by Kyra.

With right cards this party can output monstrous damage especially when going all-in on bosses.

http://i.imgur.com/Cb9D4K2.jpg

- 1 person with high dex

Agreed. I use Meri, Seoni and Kyra very effective. Though Kyra mostly does first aid. In quest mode with the right items spells and weapons Kyra is way more effective, especially with weapons proficiency, but she is also great to send to temporary close a location needing wisdom check once Meri or Seoni have villain trapped. Seoni and Meri just wade through. The flood scenario was the only hard one in story

- 1 person with high dex

I finished the Rise of the Runelord full campaign (end of adventure 6) in the physical game with 2 friends, we played with Lini, Seoni and Harsk.

Lem might have been a good alternative to Seoni, especially with the virtuoso role allowing him to buff himself later so he get to be almost as good as Lini for closing various locations and serve as a wildcard.

The group was only lacking a true melee character (Lini was rather good in melee, but she only ever used one melee weapon), we had a friend that played valeros at the start of the campaign but he moved to another city so stopped playing.

I think that Lini, Lem, Harsk and your choice of a hero with the melee skill should be very versatile.

Seela (hospitilizer str/wis)- Str/Cha checks.  Utilizes best Melee/Heavy armor boons.  High average combat.  Trait ability gives her high averages for most checks.  Can explore 2-3 times easily a turn not to mention crusade which can be up to 2 more with self sustain.  Weakness - armor/weapons clutter the hand discard any extra weapons and recharge armor at the end of the turn because you will most likely draw another.  

Lini (wild warden/wis/str)- Wis/All checks.  Utilizes best Divine boons for team utility.  Trait ability lets her succeed at nearly every check.  Tons of self sustain so can easily explore 2-3x safely.  With a Scythe +1 can be a very reliable fighter due to exploiting D4's.  Weakness - pretty weak in combat without her 1 weapon. Sollution Ezren/Harsk

Ezren (Evoker-INT INT)- Int/arcane checks.  Utilizes best Arcane boons.  Recharges nearly everything he uses.  Easily takes down areas/enemies that penalize weapons or high toughness bosses.  Trait bonus explores usually Closes Academy/Thassilonian dungeon/Apothecary in 1-2 turns.  Heat metal/Orb of Firestorm can be very helpful team aid (especially to lini's Sycthe.  Weakness - On occasion runs out of nukes and can't fight.  Very few explores in the deck and can be pretty dormant without abusing his trait.  Solution: SMOH, Father (noone else needs them in this comp)

Harsk (Tracker-Dex/Dex- Dex/Con checks.  Utilizes Ranged/Light armor boons.  High average combat.  Trait can save the life of a hero who gets caught off guard (another D4 for linis scythe).  Recharges explores and self sustain after role.  Weakness - Hand can become cluttered with weapons.  Solution - use his trait on almost all combat checks even if it seems like overkill.

I chose this party wanting to have a hero who specialized in each stat close while taking advantage of all the best boons without fighting over them.  I prioritize heroes who can solo/self sustain and get as many explores into a turn as possible.

Edited by delpheki
  • Like 1

I finished the Rise of the Runelord full campaign (end of adventure 6) in the physical game with 2 friends, we played with Lini, Seoni and Harsk.

Lem might have been a good alternative to Seoni, especially with the virtuoso role allowing him to buff himself later so he get to be almost as good as Lini for closing various locations and serve as a wildcard.

The group was only lacking a true melee character (Lini was rather good in melee, but she only ever used one melee weapon), we had a friend that played valeros at the start of the campaign but he moved to another city so stopped playing.

I think that Lini, Lem, Harsk and your choice of a hero with the melee skill should be very versatile.

Lini, Lem, Harsk, and Amiri happen to be the team I trounced Legendary difficulty with.  I can totally vouch for the versatility and power they brought forth for handling even the extra screwballs Legendary puts forth.  I kind of consider Amiri and Valeros very swappable as they'll both get the melee job done and done well.  I just took Amiri for her extra Move actions vs. Legendary's adjacent-movement-only rule.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually having pretty decent luck with all the Divine casters (Kyra, Lem, Lini, and Seelah).  They're reasonably diverse, and they can all cast Cure.  B-)

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

• 1 month later...