Hello there.

Some one can give me some hints about my Idea for a Cipher? I want to create some character who is some kind of "Shadow Warrior" . Sure the rogue would comes a bit closer for this kind of idea, but I would like to know if it is possible with Cipher too. He should dual wield sabres/swords, take light or middle armor and if there is need, he should can use a bow too. I would be thankful for any help. Thx.

Hi!

You might want to have a look at this thread from a few days ago: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87433-melee-cypher-build/

The guy who openend it wanted nearly the same thing. There are some good infos in that thread and it's not too long.

tl;dr: dual wielding sabres is good. At the beginning heavy armor is recommended, later on you can switch to medium or light armor. Using sabres or swords and taking the according weapon focus talent (ruffian or knight) for more ACC interferes a bit with any kind of bow (peasant or adventurer). But crossbows also use weapon focus: knight like swords. The ranged weapons in the ruffian focus group are pistols and blunderbusses.

Edit: posted the wrong link - now it's the correct one. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sorry, I had to edit my post because the link in it was wrong.

Sorry, I had to edit my post because the link in it was wrong.

You probably linked to one of your own threads for shameless self advertisement. :D

• Like 1

ROFL :lol:

Sadly I don't have a dual wielding cipher. Might change that - just in case. ;)

I accidentially linked to a thread three days ago where a guy asked about a good way to solo with a cipher. Also worth a read - but nothing about dual wielding and stuff. ;)

Edit: if this was YouTube all that building might finally pay off. :p

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

ROFL :lol:

Sadly I don't have a dual wielding cipher. Might change that - just in case. ;)

I accidentially linked to a thread three days ago where a guy asked about a good way to solo with a cipher. Also worth a read - but nothing about dual wielding and stuff. ;)

See, you picked the wrong career.^^

Btw, have you ever been interested in NWN2? :) Iirc there were great opportunities for character-building. Especially with Kaedrin's Pack.

Btw, have you ever been interested in NWN2? :) Iirc there were great opportunities for character-building. Especially with Kaedrin's Pack.

I find PoE builds to be more interesting than NWN2. NWN2 just gets entirely too cheese'y with the four class multi-classes, mandatory min-max and the overpoweredness and near requirement of certain classes (hello Red Dragon Disciple). Here you can make a successful melee character out of multiple classes and races. In NWN2 a melee that does not go for the RDD is pretty gimped.

I believe it is due to the inability to multiclass. This has you tweak your build through abilities and talents instead of adding cheese classes. The lack of minimum stat requirements also frees you from the mandatory min maxing needed to satisfy the cheese classes requirements.

Another thing that PoE has better are the races. The various god races here have special abilities but also limitations such as the no helmet allowed. The Gensai in NWN2, Yuan Ti and Drow are just straight up mathematically more powerful.

Overall the builds here are much more flexible. I look at Boereor's builds and think "I might move a few stat points around to suit my style" and it will be different but still work. In NWN2 if you add strength to your wizard or add to other non-essential stats its just plain wrong and inefficient.

I played NWN with all expansions and I also played NWN2 (only vanilla). But I didn't do a lot of builds then. I just tried some classes and ideas and then played the game once. I didn't feel like playing them more than once. Can't say why. I liked the NMW expansions a lot.

Diablo II and Torchligh II however saw a lot of builds from me. I played Diablo III for a few hours and found it's character system to be utter crap.

What I also did when I was still studying was playing Pen & Paper RPGs (mainly the german flagship "The Dark Eye") and doing an awful lot of powergamer's builds - much to the dismay of my fellow players. ;)

• Like 1

I played NWN with all expansions and I also played NWN2 (only vanilla). But I didn't do a lot of builds then. I just tried some classes and ideas and then played the game once. I didn't feel like playing them more than once. Can't say why. I liked the NMW expansions a lot.

Feeling nostalgic now. For me NWN and WC3 were one of the first PC games I've played.

I find PoE builds to be more interesting than NWN2. NWN2 just gets entirely too cheese'y with the four class multi-classes, mandatory min-max and the overpoweredness and near requirement of certain classes (hello Red Dragon Disciple). Here you can make a successful melee character out of multiple classes and races. In NWN2 a melee that does not go for the RDD is pretty gimped.

The reason I've mentioned NWN2 was the the whole variety of classes (14 basic + 22 prestige | and extra 5 basic + 48 from kaedrin pack). Trying to come up with something unique is fun. And iirc there actually were some decent alternatives to melee builds made around RDD, specifically different flavors of Kaze-no-kama a roguelike monk-fighter. And with Kaedrin really awesome stuff could be built around Swiftblade, Stormlord and Forest Master.

But yeah this could result in really overpowered builds.

Overall the builds here are much more flexible. I look at Boereor's builds and think "I might move a few stat points around to suit my style" and it will be different but still work. In NWN2 if you add strength to your wizard or add to other non-essential stats its just plain wrong and inefficient.

Agreed. While the class system is more restricted (less options), the attribute system itself is so much more flexible.

You can make a barbarian with maxed might; or balanced might (with annihilation weapons); or even dump the stat altogether (and make him an interfering offtank) if you want, and it will still work.

Edited by MaxQuest

Diablo II and Torchligh II however saw a lot of builds from me. I played Diablo III for a few hours and found it's character system to be utter crap.

What I also did when I was still studying was playing Pen & Paper RPGs (mainly the german flagship "The Dark Eye") and doing an awful lot of powergamer's builds - much to the dismay of my fellow players. ;)

PnP Rolemaster/MERP builds were/are fun times. So many combos.

Wouldn't mind seeing a PoE RPG rule set...

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.