Character and Card-Specific Story Beats

So, after all the bugs and questionable design discussions, I thought its time for something pleasant. I really love all the little story beats inserted in the game that depend on the characters in your party and the cards you have in your deck. The best part - most of them are so naturally integrated that I didn't even realize they're not the default dialogues until recently. And I'd love to know them all, but can't ever see by myself all the options, so I thought it might be nice to share some knowledge as a community.

So, without further ado, here's what I got:

Character beats:

- 1-5: Arcane characters (Ezren, Seoni, Lem) all recognize the Sihedron Rune as such when you defeat Nualia

- 2-1: Seelah and Lini both detect there's something wrong with Aldern Foxglove ; Seelah presumably through her Detect Evil aura, while Lini directly says he "smell like dead things"

- 3-1: Valeros is revealed to be old pals with the ranger Vale Temros

- 3-2: When Kven Windstrike betrays the party, Perception characters (Merisiel and Harsk) notice he has the Sihedron rune tatooed on his arm

Card-specific story beats:

- Shalelu Andosanna:

=> as one of the earliest named allies, this ranger is almost omnipresent, offering dialogue as early as 1-4 Approach to Thisletop as far as 3-5. She usually pledges to secure the perimeter and/or pepper with arrows any enemies in sight;

=> also, throughout Adventure 3, you can witness the soap opera melodrama between her and her estranged stepfather, the Black Arrow ranger Jakardros Sovark (can anyone report any development/closure if you have them both at start of 3-5 ?)

- Vale Temros: at start of 3-5, he states he'll join your quest against Barl Breakbones (presumably, he stays to bolster Fort Rannik if you don't have him)

- Jakardros Sovark; at start of 3-5, he states he'll join your quest against Barl Breakbones; if you don't have him, he states he must leave behind and help fix Fort Rannik

- Sihedron Medallion: in 3-2, Jagrath Kreeg notices you “carry Breakbones's rune”. (There could be earlier referrals to the Sihedron, but it took me this far to notice Villains react to its presence)

That's all I have for now. What are your stories?

Edited by Longshot11
  • Like 5

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

"Killing ogres in the high places. It would make me get weepy for home, if it weren't full of craven liars."

Priceless two-liner from Amiri after the Dam, and if you read her background history it is perfectly fitting.

Some more one-liners from her:

"This is my kind of festival."

"And that means plenty of blood to spill. In this I plan to be generous."

Edited by CA_Obsidian
  • Like 1

"Killing ogres in the high places. It would make me get weepy for home, if it weren't full of craven liars."

Priceless two-liner from Amiri after the Dam, and if you read her background history it is perfectly fitting.

Some more one-liners from her:

"This is my kind of festival."

"And that means plenty of blood to spill. In this I plan to be generous."

Now this makes me want to play a solo Amiri run. Also, she may be illiterate, but she seems pretty poetic for a barbarian.

Edited by Longshot11

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Juat to throw it out there, ther are six cards to date that affect dialogues.

OK, I'll bite :)

1. Sihedron Medallion: I mentioned at least one instance, but I'm sure there are others I missed

2. Shalelu Andosanna: Her AD1 dialogue seems set in stone, but in AD2 and AD3 she seems to get extra lines if present (notably interacting with Jakardros)

3. Jakardros Sovark: He is scripted in scenarios 3-1 through 3-4, but at start of 3-5 his lines change depending on having him or not

4. Vale Temros: same as above

5. Deathbane Crossbow: in one of your blogs at Paizo there was a screenshot where Harsk acknowledges its presence before going ghoul-hunting. Also of note, this seems very peculiarly a specific hero+card combo, as I have completed AD2 with almost all other heroes with Deathbane present, but non of them has acknowledge its presence. Then again, Harsk's "iconic" weapon is the crossbow, so I guess it makes sense

6. Somewhere on this forum a user reported an exchange between the 1-5 henchman Orik, and Ilsoari Gandethus, should you have him in your deck. I hate Ilsoari so I never tried it but maybe someone can confirm what's this all about?

So, did I catch them all?

• Like 1

I think they just added one more this morning just so you would be wrong, Longshot.

Hey, at least now everyone else have something to hunt for :D

• Like 1

I can confirm the conversation between Orik and Gandethus.

Orik questioned Gandethus about a certain monster because of something they had a deal on the tutorial.

Val and Orik also have this classy honorable conversation before fighting.

Edited by Bajie

This one reasons I like to play this game over and ower with different characters.

I like that Kyra teases Merciel to be good women, and how embarred Merciel is. "Don't mention this again"...

You really start to see personalities. Mesa like!

I assume you mean Merisiel and Kyra. The two share a special relationship canonwise. I am eager to see if we see it developing in the dialogues, since the party has already reached Magnimar.

Generous Hint: It's also in the Orik convo.

By the way Longshot, I read the Longshot mini-series a couple of months ago and just finished Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe last week (which was inspired by Jay and Miles Plain the X-Men). So, repect! 

Nathan, since I got you in talkative mood, any chance we can have the 'trash-talking' dialogues before encountering Villains/some Henchmen replay on subsequent runs? Right now, the intro and outro cutscenes, as well as the Location 'dialogues' (Sahdow Clock, Sanatorium..) play each time; however, the 'trash-talking' happens only once per Party profile and doesn't appear on subsequent run-throughs.

About Orik - I guess it makes sense now, that he would interact with Ilsoari and Ameiko, given the Tutorial. Now' I'll have to find a way to check it out while finding and keeping 2 of the worse allies to carry in a deck (for me).

As for the Valeros - Orik exchange: it happens with every hero, this is the in-game 'exlanation' of Orik's "roll Charisma to search for boon" ability.

• Like 1

Nathan, since I got you in talkative mood, any chance we can have the 'trash-talking' dialogues before encountering Villains/some Henchmen replay on subsequent runs? Right now, the intro and outro cutscenes, as well as the Location 'dialogues' (Sahdow Clock, Sanatorium..) play each time; however, the 'trash-talking' happens only once per Party profile and doesn't appear on subsequent run-throughs.

I just put in a bug for this. I originally intended these to play once per scenario, but they were coded to play once per "campaign."

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So, at the start of 5-1, Father Zantus will remark something among the lines of "it was nice traveling with you" if you have him in your decks. I'm not sure if that's the mystery 7th card Nathan spoke about (earlier dialogues don't seem to aknowledge you having Zantus), or if it's a new addition. In which case, I have to wonder how many new 'special' cards were introduced... :)

One thing I thought would happen was a dialog between Aldern Foxglove and Iesha Foxglove (or some change in her dialog, at least). I went great lenghts to encounter her with a character carrying Aldern in his hand just to find that it doesn't change a thing...

Maybe there is an opportunity there... ;-)

Cheers!

Mauricio