Seoni + swipe spell + father zantus bug

Faranim

Question

When seoni plays swipe for her own combat check, I have the option to recharge father zantus to add 1d4.

Seini has the arcane skill, but not the divine skill.

If you recharge father zantus, the check should change to divine, which for seoni would be 1d4.

Instead, it looks like seoni gets to roll her arcane skill + 1d4 for father zantus.

10 answers to this question

When seoni plays swipe for her own combat check, I have the option to recharge father zantus to add 1d4.

Seini has the arcane skill, but not the divine skill.

If you recharge father zantus, the check should change to divine, which for seoni would be 1d4.

Instead, it looks like seoni gets to roll her arcane skill + 1d4 for father zantus.

The spell Swipe has both Arcane and Divine traits, and since it's the card you play to determine your skill for the check - it also adds its own traits to the check (in a similar way, a Bow would make the check Ranged, even if you play it with Merisiel who doesn't have the Ranged skill). So, in the end, when you play Swipe with Seoni to fight, the check is: Combat, Magic, Attack, Arcane, Divine ,Charisma.

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

The spell Swipe has both Arcane and Divine traits, and since it's the card you play to determine your skill for the check - it also adds its own traits to the check (in a similar way, a Bow would make the check Ranged, even if you play it with Merisiel who doesn't have the Ranged skill). So, in the end, when you play Swipe with Seoni to fight, the check is: Combat, Magic, Attack, Arcane, Divine ,Charisma.

This is another situation where the traits and skills having the same name can cloud the intent of the designers.  Does the phrase "to your Divine check" mean "check using your Divine skill", or "check which has the Divine trait", or both?  (I didn't check to see if this was asked on the paizo forums...)

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

This is another situation where the traits and skills having the same name can cloud the intent of the designers.  Does the phrase "to your Divine check" mean "check using your Divine skill", or "check which has the Divine trait", or both?  (I didn't check to see if this was asked on the paizo forums...)

It's the latter - "X Check" means "check with the X trait" (it doesn't matter which card or power provides the said Trait).

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

It's the latter - "X Check" means "check with the X trait" (it doesn't matter which card or power provides the said Trait).

So, if you're closing a location that requires a Divine skill check, that won't have the Divine trait, and thus Fr. Z won't help?

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

So, if you're closing a location that requires a Divine skill check, that won't have the Divine trait, and thus Fr. Z won't help?

Yeah, everything is fuzzy around this, but if you are indeed performing a "Divine" check rolling using your "Divine" skill - wouldn't using the Divine skill itself add the "Divine" trait to the check.  Of course characters without the divine skill are allowed to perform any untrained check using a D4 - but still it would be a Divine die check - still adding the Divine trait.

Nightfind

Yeah, everything is fuzzy around this, but if you are indeed performing a "Divine" check rolling using your "Divine" skill - wouldn't using the Divine skill itself add the "Divine" trait to the check.  Of course characters without the divine skill are allowed to perform any untrained check using a D4 - but still it would be a Divine die check - still adding the Divine trait.

Nightfind

^ This.

No. A check that has a trait is different from a card that has a trait.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

But then shouldn't any item with a recharge roll using an arcane check be treated as arcane items for seoni item autorecharge power feat ? (they are not currently, they need the arcane trait on the card)

You ask me, they *should*, but in my opinion this is a design oversight when those cards were created, not an oversight at Obsidian. One of these days, I should pop the question over at Paizo...