I played a few quests and kept track of all the experience numbers (15-19ish level range). Some of you may know all this, but I wanted to confirm it for myself, and share with those who didn't know:

You only get experience for defeating banes. This varies from bane to bane, but here are some example numbers:

• Henchmen give 270. Any henchmen, even summoned from barrier henchmen. This makes things like Monster in the Closet great for experience (get exp from defeating the barrier, and then the summoned monster)

• Monsters vary a ton, but seem to be based on the combat rating. I believe pre or post encounter damage also has an effect. Some examples:

• 121 exp. - Skeleton, Goblin Dog1

• 150 exp. - Enchanter (hate her), Warlord

• 180 exp. - Goblin Pyro, Goblin Warrior

• 211 exp. - Ogre, Zombie Giant

• Barriers also vary, but tend to give more than monsters. The barriers that summon monsters and banish whether you defeat the monsters or not don't give experience (Goblin Raid, Skeleton Horde), but again, each defeated henchmen they summon will. Some examples:

• 241 exp. - Trap Locker, Monster in the Closet

• 360 exp. - Battered Chest, Secret Stash

• Villains all seem to give their amount based on what level you are playing. Normal Villain gives 300, medium level gives 450, not sure on legendary yet. I had a normal Erylium give me 300, and a medium level Erylium give me 450. I had a normal level Skinshaw man give me 300, and a medium level Nualia give me 450.

I likely wont do the math on the legendary level villain, as I don't think it is worth it. I completed a few legendary quests before I was keeping track, and I didn't notice any real difference (which actually prompted this endeavor). But what this has shown me is my play style in quest mode needs to be very different from story mode. A location like the Woods (more monsters) or Guard Tower (easy Bandit Henchman at the start of my turn) are great for experience, where in story they are just annoying. I also have try to “milk” a location more in quest mode. Getting that henchmen on the first card of the location deck usually means I will not close the location so I can get to the rest of the banes (and more exp.). Then the balancing act of trying to get everything timed out to finish up on the last couple blessings and get all the experience I can. For this reason I wont delve into legendary much. There is too much that can throw this balancing act off.  Also, I believe you do not get experience for anything if you fail the quest (run out of time).  I do run out time once in a while, and I have never received a level reward after running out of time (which is what lead me to this conclusion).  Someone please correct me on this if I am wrong. 

Having a blast in quest mode. In my opinion a very welcome addition from the tabletop version.

• Like 1

Yeah, losing the game will means that you get no experience at all for it, that's why I usually close locations as soone as possible, must better to have a quick game with low XP and play another one immdiatly that try for a longer game and risk losing all XP, especially when you are at a level where you don't have many new cards that you want until the next tier is opened.

I had a blast until level 32, when I had a burn-out from doing the same quests over and over only to gain 6000 xp at max (more isn't possible in a 3 person party run, and 6000 only if you encounter a lot of summons etc). Too many quests that scored between 2000 and 4000 only.

It was still 25000 xp for a level at that time, how is the scaling in the mid 30s to 40?

The 25000 xp interval startet at level 25 iirc (?) and stayed for the next 7 levels at 25000 xp...

Oh, you mean something like this: http://bardstale.wikia.com/wiki/Experience

Those were the times indeed, 1986 on my Commodore 64.

You mean....

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-bards-tale/id480375355?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inxile.BardTale&hl=en

:dancing:

My complaint about the exp, besides it being low, is that it does not scale with difficulty. I just killed a CR16 Ogre, and... 211 experience. If I'm playing on the highest difficulty, why is my experience not scaling upwards by some multiplier?

My complaint about the exp, besides it being low, is that it does not scale with difficulty. I just killed a CR16 Ogre, and... 211 experience. If I'm playing on the highest difficulty, why is my experience not scaling upwards by some multiplier?

It does, but only when you get into the next Tier.

It does, but only when you get into the next Tier.

I should have phrased this better. If I'm playing on Legendary difficulty, with the two wildcard challenges, I feel like I should get more experience in general. Example: right now, I've got the "+1 to challenge to all checks" wildcard and the "+3 challenge to all boons" scenario power. That makes things way harder, yet no increase in experience.

Edited by erwos
  • Like 1

Hmmm... If I am not remembering wrong, the dev is thinking about exp modifiers. But at the current bug-state it can take a while untill there Are tweaked in this sector.

Yup, last I heard scaling based on Difficulty was on their things to do in the future.

I was hoping they would do xp based on # of cards left in the Blessings deck (50 xp per card should be good), that way it rewards people for closing fast.

Someone has already floated the idea of bounties in quest mode.  I think that would immediately help with quite a few problems people are having with quest mode.  Maybe have those bounties scale with what mode they were completed in. 

I kind of viewed legendary as an option for the "hardcore".  Doesn't need to necessarily reward THAT much more, but needs to be there for those who want more of a challenge.  The type of people who solo Lem all the way through.  Not for rewards, but the challenge.  50 more gold and a couple hundred more exp for completing the pain of legendary?  Pass, which means I am not part of the hardcore. 

• Like 1