Damage shields are normally pretty low damage, but

Was thinking of a heavy armored rogue with retaliate bp + helm + shield + flame potion for a total of 4 damage shields . . . + deathblows, vulnerable attack, high MIG, high CON !, high PER, 3 DR bypass gloves, 1 DR bypass from robot rogue swim in blood pool. Oh yeah, and combusting wounds.

Alternatively, a barb if carnage synergizes, or at the very least the raw damage reactive they eventually.

Here's me being lazy again and not testing yet, but does anyone know if deathblows or carnage work with retaliate? 

Edited by MasterCipher
  • Like 1

Sneak and Deathblows yes, carnage no. And because the damage of retaliation is so whimpy Deathblows with it are still not very impressive. What is impressive at higher levels is Battle Forged from the Fire Godlike race. It works with Deathblows and Scion of Flame and it stacks with the Potion of Flame shield and the other retaliations.

You can even combine this retaliation stuff with Riposte, Binding Rope and Lavender Wreath for maximum punishment.

However - because rogues endurance and deflection are low it's hard to make this work for a long time.

But Combusting Wounds with this is fun for sure and makes it effective.

Ciphers can use Combusting Wounds and combine it with Pain Link. Every enemy around you gets hit when you get hit plus all that retaliation means that there are a gazillion of hits taking place - great for combusting wounds. Also great in conjunction with any beam spell.

What does work really really well is Druid's Avenging Storm with all that retaliation. It's adding a high shock damage bonus that's not based on % but a flat amount, no matter how whimpy the initial damage is. This makes multiple retaliation great. But this spell comes really really late.

Monk's Turning Wheel also works with those retaliations, adding up to +50% of burning lash to every retaliation. While this is totally meh with normal retaliation it's very good with battle forged and flame shield because the lash and the initial damage profit from Scion of Flame. And monks can have TON of endurance and health as well as very high DR with Iron Wheel which makes it my favorite class for using Battle Forged. In fact I'll put out a monk build around battle forged in a few days.

Edit: and I forgot: barb's One Stands Alone, Blooded and stuff also worked with retaliation recently, adding +50% damage to retaliation and Battle Forged once you hit 50% endurance. And you have the raw damage retaliation, too. Blood Thirst also works. So if you kill an enemy with retaliation your recovery will be set to zero - no matter your DEX. This can be fun with Battle Forged, Flame Shield and Firebrand. ;) Also building around that ATM - but I don't know yet if this is truly viable.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's right. The only "normal" retaliation that stacks is that from the supper plate because weapon/shield enchantments stack with everything. But you might want to skip retaliation altogether because it's base damage is really low and even the highest dmg mod doesn't turn it into good damage. It's only worth it with Combusting Wounds or if you combine things like Glitternig Gauntlets (=dazed), Enervating Blows (=weakened) or Avenging Storm with it.

What do you mean they don't stack? When I put on lavender wreath and sura's supper plate then the enemy who hits me doesn't either get hit or sickened? I did a test build with binding rope some hours ago and it worked with supper plate and battle forged as well as with flame shield. Version 3.02. What I didn't have was a retaliation item that was no weapon - like coat of ill payment. So it might be that this gets suppressed by binding rope or lavender wreath?

What do you mean they don't stack? When I put on lavender wreath and sura's supper plate then the enemy who hits me doesn't either get hit or sickened? I did a test build with binding rope some hours ago and it worked with supper plate and battle forged as well as with flame shield. Version 3.02. What I didn't have was a retaliation item that was no weapon - like coat of ill payment. So it might be that this gets suppressed by binding rope or lavender wreath?

The retaliation from the shield stacks of course with everything... But if you have all three on armor two will be suppressed.

Just checked.

Yeap, it does. The interrupt duration is 15 frames (added to enemy's recovery) and it does not depend on your weapon equipped.

Note: it seems that interrupt durations from multiple sources of retaliation do not stack and it's just 15 frames (which are affected by enemy's Dex)

So retaliation can add 0.5s to each enemy's attack now.